meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
So, I just recently learned to do a split time TTN 3 beat weave, and it occured to me, "why not try for 5 beats".
Now... when I was doing a regular TTN weave (together time), I counted out and could do both 3 and 5 beats, but when I was doing split time I counted only 3 and 4.
Perhaps my counting is off, or perhaps I'm missing a beat somewhere (as I know a normal 3 beat can turn into a 4 beat by only doing the "5 beat" motion on one side).

Anyone have any idea?

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
There are several types of opposite weaves depending on number of beats you choose to do and if only one hand is on top all the time or if they alternate. For the arm motion to be similar to a regular split time same direction weave you need the correct number of beats on each side and you have to alternate which hand is on top.

For 5 beat weave your right hand needs to do 3 beats on the right and 2 beats on the left and vice versa. This requires quite a bit of arm twisting on both hands on both sides. It's really awkward at first because you're used to using the sideways arm motion to give the poi enough momentum in the split time same direction 5 beat weave, and when doing split opposites you don't have this leverage to help you out. Also the poi will crash A LOT.

When doing split time it's very tempting for only one hand to do all the twisting on both sides and the other arm just stays in place, but for doing the full alternating version one hand twists on one side and the other hand twists on the other side.

That's pretty much it, if you're not struggling then you're not doing the correct number of beats and if you're not struggling and still count 5 beats then you're adding superfluous beats on one side and not enough beats on the other side.

I hope I could explain this in a better way, but frankly it's just a matter of experimenting and counting beats and twisting as much as you can, probably helps to learn 5 beat split time TTN on both directions first.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Ok, I think I can do the split time TTN 5 beat weave now. After reading what you said and going back over my movements, I got it figured out.

Now I realize I like the way the 4 beat feel vs 5. 5 One the one side feels fine, but on the otherside it feels awkward as I find I need to move one arm slightly before the first to avoid getting thwacked in the face by the poi going in reverse.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
So I am confused by this TTN thing. I see it referred to as "Together Time" but them i read something like "split time TTN" Also theirs no N in together time. Just a bit confused lol.

And I remember when I was learning the 5 beat weave, it was terrifying at first how uncontrollably fast the poi were coming at my face. Had to get a bump or two on top of my head before I got it down tongue2

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Thread the Needle.

(edit): I'm a bit past the normal stuff. This is the most recent thing I'm working on, butterfly weave, thread the needle weave, and split time thread the needle weave.
EDITED_BY: meshunderlay (1297060308)

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
ok it all makes sense now. Guess I missed that abbreviation somewhere along the lines lol.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop