liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
so to anyone who has purchased them what are your opinions on HOP's new silicon handles?
I received mine today and swapped them into my custom contact poi setup (previous handles were very small wooden balls attached with small loop of colecord to a swivel, then 6mm climbing rope down to an 80mm HOP stage ball) love the feel of them and the high vis orange colour I got but I find the weight a little too much for some move groups, iso throws in particular (especially horizontal ones) tend to move the poi's head a fair bit, lighter handles make iso throws more static-easier to catch and more visually effective to the audience.
I would love to see the silicon handles in smaller sizes, perhaps 25/30g?
Any thoughts fellow geeks? smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hello friend,

I am expecting mine in the mail today or tomorrow. I got the green ones with swivels and am connecting them to 72mm stage balls (wishing I would of gotten the 80mm for extra weight) via colecord. Did you get the handles with or without the swivels? I currently also use the px3 knobs as handles, they are a bit lighter. I wish I new what kind of glue HoP uses to set the swivel inside the handles. I thought it would be cool to do this with the px3 knobs, they only weigh 10-12 g w/o swivel, where the silicon ones weigh 30g w/o swivel.

Groovy

336 posts

Posted:
i got a pair of ones with swivels and without swivels, for comfort i think i prefer the ones without swivels (i attach them to swivels via a short bit of colecord, tied with a larks head knot, distance from handle to swivel is about 25mm) just because I use a pinch grip and the using the knobs with swivels inbuilt puts the swivel directly in my 'pinch', which doesn't feel quite right to me.
I'm still finding them very heavy, but having said that the wooden handles I was using before were even lighter and smaller than px3s. My old handles were amazing for iso+float throws as their very light weight made the head virtually unaffected by the movement of the handle.
I havn't decided which way I'm going to go yet, it's probably going to take me a week of fiddling around and comparing to decide if I like the new silicon handles or not... smirk
would really like to see what the silicon handles would feel like in some smaller sizes (hinting to HOP... smile wink )
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1295644240)

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
hmm if the silicone ones are too heavy, wont taking the washer out make them lighter?
i plan on buying some knobs too but cant decide on which ones...maybe i get both and will see which play better

...can you speak poi?

336 posts

Posted:
the washer is so light it virtually no difference, i like the colour and feel of the silicon so I'm going to have a go at using some of the tools in my workshop to trim them down neatly and see how I get on, I reckon 25grams(ish) might be just delightful

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
I just bought a pair small 40 mm rubber balls in a pet shop.They weight 28g each and yes, its too heavy (for me) so im going for the PX3 knobs for a normal spinning.
On the other side..the spinners who like throws might go for the silicone ones for its weight...

...can you speak poi?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I like throws and I hate handles with weight I refuse to use them. I don't do counterweights, I think they make throws too stupid looking and unpredictable. Also they're not very good for isolated throws.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

336 posts

Posted:
I've gone back to my old handles now, the silicon ones are just too heavy for the types of throws I normally use. I might try cutting them in half/filing them down as I like the colour and feel of the silicon but definitely they need to be lighter

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
What would be sweet is like making a smaller version of their ball handles and coat it in the silicon for the soft feel and light weight. Or maybe a plastic ball even. Just anything lightweight.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I just got my pendulapoi today (with the silicon handles with swivels), and I gotta say I quite like the handles, and I prefer them overall to the pendulumpoi. The things that always bothered me about the PX3 knobs were that they are too light and too hard. The silicon handles fix both! Sure, iso throws are not as pretty with them, but in return you get WIBBLES! (Which you can't do at all with the PX3s).. It's a good trade-off in my book.

The only bad thing I have noticed that the swivel indeed is a bit uncomfortable, sitting right next to the handle. Liquidtrance, could you ttell how I would go about modifying them the way you did, by having a bit of colecord before the swivel? Is there a way to get the swivel off the handle safely? How do you attach the colecord to the handle?

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Received my handles and I really like them so far. The silicon is so...grippy. They seem easier to catch than my px3 and wood because they are so...sticky. I think I just love the way silicon feels, and tastes...Mmmm.

Groovy

336 posts

Posted:
@ teamo
i got a pair of the knobs without the inbuilt swivel (which are cheap) and just put a loop of colecord through the handle and tied it off, with the loop I passed it over my swivel in a lark's head knot. simple and takes no time at all smile

336 posts

Posted:
spent a bit more time with the silicon handles today- this time on my 100mm contact poi rather than my 80mm- and they are really growing on me, my 80mm set were harshly affected by the weight ratio but the 100mm's have just enough heft to make them behave acceptably. still think it would be great if HOP produced them in a couple of smaller sizes but for now yay smile