gawdaSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I don't have the slightest clue how this has been happening, but several times lately my poi fully soaked with karosene went out within 10 seconds of burning.

Im wondering if this is normal, or if theres something wrong with my poi, or some other crazy stuff.

write back pleeeese!!!! crazy

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Well the gods clearly don't want you spinning fire. You'd best take up knitting or playing Magic the Gathering....

No it happens occasionally, both in warm and cold weather. Especially with kerosene. Sometimes the fire doesn't get a chance to 'stick' to the poi. There are threads which explains why but suffice to say that it is a rare but still possible phenomena.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

TroikaSILVER Member
The official unofficial purveyor of cake
26 posts

Posted:
Are you spinning directly after lighting them or giving the fire a sec or two to gain some power?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
This has happened to me many a time. It's happened to me within a minute or 2 or burning as well and it's just like *pff* "Woah wtf?"

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

gawdaSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
thank you!!!! we were stuck thinking some crazy ideas lol

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
the fuel has to warm up enough for it to vaporise and reach it's flashpoint, if you start spinning too hard before the heat has a chance to penetrate deeper into the fuel stored in the wick you run the risk of the available fuel vapour igniting&burning (thus spending it's heat energy) too far away from where the poi's head is, ie- the trail of fire. This effect is magnified the faster you spin or if there is a high wind- knock on effect is that the liquid fuel in the wick doesn't reach flashpoint, therefore goodbye fire.
The solution is to give the fire a good opportunity to catch and let the heat built a bit (how long depends on your fuel type). If you watch a lot of professional performers when they are starting their routines they have incorporated a slow segment of movement at the beginning of their performance for this reason.
Another major factor to consider is the temperature of your fuel/equipment, if it's -10 degrees celsius then the fuel has a hell of a lot more heat to gain before reaching flashpoint than if your spinning on a beach in paradise !!! smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Night CrawlerBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
I would agree with liquidtrance. The fuel and the poi need to warm up enough to give a stable flame.
Just to add another possibility, are your wicks gunked up with residue from loads of previous burns? If so then this will affect your burns and you would need to give the wicks a good wash in kero or maybe a solvent cleaner (outside).

'You can only be free when you have nothing to loose'

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I have another suggestion.
Do you guys fire eat? There is a trick where you have a fire stick and slowly raise the fire stick at the same "rate" as the fire and then pull down quickly. I don't know what this is called, but lots of fire eaters do it.

This can also happen with poi. If you are swinging poi from side to side, sometime the poi can just immediately go out on a downstroke.. This is from this effect.
It doesn't matter how much fuel and how long it's been working...

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
^^ good point night crawler, i find a good soak in meth spirit then a burn takes off the worst of the kero-scum smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire