Forums > Other Toys > Repairing an Acrylic ball?

Login/Join to Participate

FireJinnBRONZE Member
Sage of many fires
22 posts

Posted:
Howdy my question is: Is there any substance or material that I can use to repair the chips and dents in my acrylic balls?

Mark

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
car plastic polish&wax products will make minor blemishes all but disappear, deeper marks your best wet-sanding it with fire grade paper, then finer paper etc, then go over it with polish and wax. the surface won't be as clear and after a few treatments like this the ball may appear slightly cloudy on close inspection but the casual observer won't see it while you're performing.
unless you drop your acrylic from a height(like on stilts) like i did a few months ago and blow a massive censored crater in your favourite UV active 100mm acrylic, then you're screwed cry cry

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Night CrawlerBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Not sure about dents, but big scratches can be filled with superglue. Only if its the proper, hard acrylic.
If its coloured or not glass clear, then its easy.
Give it a good clean, then grab some cheap nail varnish remover (acetone) and some cotton balls. Soak the cotton in the remover and wash the ball really well. Especialy in the scratch. Also wash your finger tips with it to get rid of any oil. Dry it with a clean cotton ball and you are ready to fix.
Drip a tiny bit of glue into the scratch and spread it out with a pin to fill the scratch.
Let it dry for a few hours, then use wet and dry paper to smooth it down. Then, grab your nail varnish remover and pour it over the sanded area. Collect the remover in a bowl so you can use it again. The acetone slightly melts the acrylic and makes it go shiny again. But dont do it too much because it will start to wash away the glue.
Hope this helps.

'You can only be free when you have nothing to loose'

FireJinnBRONZE Member
Sage of many fires
22 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the help ya'll I'll try it out.

Mark

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hey Jinn, sounds all well and what comes to my mind additionally is the last resort:

Re-polishing the surface. Spheres are made with a special polishing process in which 3 tubes are turning on a machine. In the last stages these tubes are made from plastic, with a special polishing paste being used. Beware: the polishing will reduce the diameter by a few fractions.

You should be able to find gem cutting/ sphere polishing companies, oogling the web.

Best of luck

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink