Forums > Social Chat > Time for an adventure...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
So I put this in the social chat, figure it probably falls under the category of daftness laugh3

Anyway, I'm about to have a little adventure. I'm quitting my job, selling all my stuff, and going to Guatemala.
I've already put in my notice at work, been packing and selling some stuff. Driving to Oregon first to give my truck to my sister, then flying out from there.
I'll be leaving with nothing but a passport, plane ticket, poi bag, and a change of clothes. Most likely after everything is paid for I'll have a few hundred dollars in my pocket. Best part is, I have absolutely no plans to come back grin
I'm going to go with nothing and make it work.

I've thoroughly weighed the pros and cons of this adventure. I'm going.
Anybody that wants to keep up with this craziness. I'll try and post here occasionally, but Facebook is going to be the best way.
https://www.facebook.com/jaredwoods

Send a message cause I usually ignore people if I don't know them.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Well hopefully we will see you in May.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
If you can find me... grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
And who is we?

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
You did say something about coming over to Belize in May before you went to Oregon. I won't be going out of my way or entering Guatemala for that matter. 'We' is the people that come with me, all are welcome. smile

But so far my friend Teka and I are the only certainties. She's eager to explore the herbal environment and visit la Pharmacia for her aches and pains.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Ah, that's cool. 'We' for me is jut my dogs laugh3
I'll definitely have to come hang out a day or two though once you get down there. When we have to get new visas and all I'll just come spend my 3 days with you and you can come spend your 3 days at my place.

Might have found me a nice little spot of jungle to disappear in for a bit. Only way in is by foot. Will be a nice 6 months of nothing but camping and poi before I have to go renew my visa, if I even do that laugh3 Get far enough away from civilization I may just build a little hut, leave the country with my passport, and then sneak back in grin

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Hopefully you have a way to check your messages. I'll send you details. I'll be sure to bring you some razors for that hermit beard you'll be sporting tongue2

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Taking a netbook and rigging up a solar panel for music, and I'll be able t use it to check emails and facebook when I go into town somewhere. My little netbook automatically finds, decrypts, and connects to any wifi, free internets grin

You might think about hedge trimmers, and chainsaws instead of razors though. Last time I shaved it took like an hour lol

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Awe. So you've already been mountain maned up! You should post a pic of that! I bet it's hilarious.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Well it's already been trimmed down again, but here's a pic from before it got all shaggy. Those are from just a day or two before I left Arlington. In fact you can see the last little pile of things in the corner that gt hauled off to pawn.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Lol yea I saw those! Next you're going for the Santa Clause look right? You come walking out of the bush with magical berries and mushrooms for all the good little boys and girls!

AWESOMENESS!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
"Thank you for choosing Shortbus Tours. We're coming up on our last leg of this journey, a bit of untamed jungle far removed from civilization. If you all look out to your left and watch closely, occasionally we see the hairy man with his magic pouch, shaking his juju beads, and swinging gourds on rope made from his own hair."

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Well if all goes according to plan, and as of now there's no reason to think it wouldn't, I'll be flying out the first week of December.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I'll be expecting my X-mas fungus in the post once you find it! grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Me and Connor might just have to make a delivery.
Every time I've sent or received something lately it's came in late, broken, open, and/or missing pieces. I hear Guate postal service likes to steal things too, so I doubt if I do much of anything by post anymore.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
This is Connor, he's my best buddy.

Non-Https Image Link

Going to cost at least an extra $200 to take him with me, but I just can't leave him behind.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Sharnie_BabieBRONZE Member
The Cat's Pajamas and the Bees Knee's Love Child
19 posts

Posted:
Hey you should come and explore Australia show how insane you really are hehehe grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JaredWThis is Connor, he's my best buddy.

Going to cost at least an extra $200 to take him with me, but I just can't leave him behind.

I should hope not! The adventure will be more fun with him along and I'll bet he'd miss you too.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JamethI should hope not! The adventure will be more fun with him along and I'll bet he'd miss you too.
I rarely go anywhere without my dog. Longest I've ever been without him was actaully the HoP party at Lake Texoma.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sharnie_BabieHey you should come and explore Australia show how insane you really are hehehe grin

I may do that at some point. I'm definitely interested in seeing Australia, just not top of my list. Too damn hot laugh3

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Just sold the truck!

Will be sending in the paperwork for Connor tomorrow. Papers have to be cigned by the vet, USDA, and Guate consulate.
So probably be leaving in about 3 weeks.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JaredWOriginally Posted By: Sharnie_BabieHey you should come and explore Australia show how insane you really are hehehe grin

I may do that at some point. I'm definitely interested in seeing Australia, just not top of my list. Too damn hot laugh3

Come in winter: we have snow!

(a little bit, in a few places :p)

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JamethOriginally Posted By: JaredWOriginally Posted By: Sharnie_BabieHey you should come and explore Australia show how insane you really are hehehe grin

Come in winter: we have snow!

(a little bit, in a few places :p)

Maybe the fall, I'm really looking forward to never seeing another winter again.
I used to not mind the heat so much, but had a heat stroke that nearly killed me so I have to be careful now.
I've never done well in the cold though, 55 is about my limit, anything less and I'm pretty well miserable laugh3
The tropics will suit me just fine, 65 to 85 year round. grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
So I've decided to add another bit of craziness to this adventure. I'm going to build a bike, with a little cart for Connor, and ride 250 miles to Flores grin

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge CrewAwe. So you've already been mountain maned up! You should post a pic of that! I bet it's hilarious.

Had to trim the fuzziness down a bit again.
Lit a cigarette and caught on fire laugh3

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
*snigger*

I once managed to singe my eyebrows and eyelashes flaming whiskey.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Flippin go already!

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Working on it. Only thing I'm waiting on now is the paperwork for Connor. Have to send vaccine records and a USDA stamped health certificate to consulate. Once I get all the paperwork done he gets in with no quarantine.
Right now he's all that's keeping me here, but it's a worthwhile delay.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Finally got the health certificate. Off to the USDA office Monday, hopefully if I show up in person with all the appropriate papers I can get is signed the same day and send it off to the consulate.

Page: