Forums > Other Toys > clubs or balls for beginning juggling?

Login/Join to Participate

WarghuulBRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
I'm new to juggling, and know the basics, but I'm wondering if its best to learn on balls or clubs?

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
It's easiest to learn with balls (or rings) in my opinion as you don't need to worry about proper rotation.

Once you get the hang of it, you can try moving on to clubs.

richiiStick spinner
43 posts

Posted:
The easiest way to learn to juggle is with balls. I would advise juggling with balls before considering clubs but why not get both then you can choose your own fravorite.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
a set of 3 quality clubs can be pretty expensive too. Do what Im doing: work with ball juggling and buy 1 club. There are tons of kick ups, balances, contact, etc that you can do with 1 club while you get familiar with the rotation that you have to add when you flip the club from hand to hand.

While you play, you save for a 2nd club and work your way up with club swinging, more balances, etc.

btw: rings are still harder than balls. I cant seem to keep em properly vertical.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I would say, if you don't want to spend a bundle on clubs, buy some of the beginner clubs. You can get a set of three for around 30 US I beleive, give or take tax.

As for me, my favorite juggling prop is clubs so.... I have a few *looks at the pile of clubs in the corner*.

rugglerBRONZE Member
Toss Juggler
15 posts

Posted:
Balls are definitely the first step towards clubs. They are also easier. As the Flying Karamazov Brothers say, "In the jugglery of simple spheres, one is only concerned with the location of the juggling subject. It's orientation is not significant. No matter how you catch it, a sphere is still a sphere. It has no length, width, depth, height, handle, hilt, edge, point, or blade."

When you find other jugglers to pass with, clubs become much better for the task. My first set of clubs was made out of newspaper rolled up in the proper proportions, from instructions I found online. They lasted a few weeks before they got weak and soggy, but I liked them so I got a $15 pair on ebay. The knobs broke off (which messed up the balance and made them harder to catch) after about 5 drops each. I taped them back on and they lasted about a year until I met other jugglers and invested in some PX3s. Anyways, if you feel solid enough with 3 balls and are confident you won't lose interest, I suggest investing in some PX3s or Renegades right off the bat.

Balls, clubs, and rings are just different props. Some people may prefer one over the others and practice it a bit more, but each prop has its own unique personality.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Lots of good info here but to answer your immediate question...

Learn with juggling balls! (in my opinion).

If you have some extra dollars to spend, I suggest getting some good quality clubs, and preferably 6 or 7. It will cost a lot, but they will likely last you about 20 years and then you can pass with other jugglers, which is hard to do with only three.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Having 3 is fine if you want to pass... assuming the other jugglers also have 3 clubs.

Also, no offense to the PX3 fans out there, but if you have the chance, try out different types of clubs.

Henry's are quite good, as are PX3s, Todd Smith's, Dube's, k8malabares, etc etc.... Everyone will have a favorite of course.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
If you can get to a juggling club, try borrowing clubs from people there.

But I have tried clubs once. And balls are a lot easier. And cheaper. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Like the person above said, your best bet is to start by learning three balls and moving up. Balls's are easier to learn patterns on simply because it doesn't matter how they land it's in the same shape. I moved to clubs right when I started to get my five ball pattern to last for more than 15 catches. I had no problems moving to just doing a shower with clubs.

I am having problems learning 4 clubs ((I can flash four and catch 7 so far)) because my hand orientation always is screwed up (which is great for throwing odd numbers jml)) and pointed towards the inside so when I juggle two in one hand I eventually start moving in a circle.....

As far as price um....do and do not buy cheap stuff off the net. Do not buy cheap balls off the net because they will break within two months.... DO buy cheap clubs off the net, I have two sets of spirit clubs for 20-30 dollars and while they look horrible they work well for learning though eventually I will have to pick up a "nice" looking set.....Though come to think of it the less weight from the spirit clubs could be throwing off my four pattern.......

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Heya Tech, in my opinion, as someone who cannot get more than a flash of 5 clubs yet, 4 clubs is harder. I think it looks cool, and there are a great many tricks you can do with 4, but for the most part I find it as awkward as... something really awkward.

rugglerBRONZE Member
Toss Juggler
15 posts

Posted:
Hey. I just found out about Todd Smith's Assassins. I was about to get a large shipment of PX3s when I just found these. Any idea if they are good?

https://toddsmith.com/prods/clubs-assassins-deal.shtml

For being about $13 less per club than the ones I was about to get, and having all those good quotes, are they worth a try?

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I do own some Assassins actually, and find them to be fine juggling clubs.
Really the debate comes down to if you want wood or plastic core.

They are pretty sturdy clubs to be honest.

DidgeridudeGOLD Member
Object Manipulationist, Chain Maille Artisan, Didgeridoo Performer and Teacher
37 posts

Posted:
Balls are much easier than clubs as many stated before myself.
I own Dube Longhandles (a lil too heavy in my opinion, and while expensive, they LAST)
Try to find balls that dont bounce and have little roll to make getting them back easier since they dont roll away.
I make Chain Maille juggling balls that are perfect (imho) stuffed with a bit of fabric. (also make bomb poi heads)
Here is my lighter set
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=299447934228&set=a.287431809228.120891.287214479228

and my heavier set
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=287465719228&set=a.287431809228.120891.287214479228

The bonus of maille balls is that water is not gonna hurt them and plop em in your washing machine to bring the color back to clean and pure.
Ive seen some amazing juggling clubs how to made out of dowels and soda bottles. Ive also made them out of newspaper, but they werent so great.

I do not have a Soul, . . . I AM a Soul.
I Have a body.