Forums > Technical Discussion > UltraPoi - Super Bright LED Sock Poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Why Hello everyone in the Home of Poi world!!!

HOP has been my home base for all my poi needs since I purchased my first pair here back in 2006 and began watching tutorials on this great website. Well in the last few months I have ventured out into the realm of creating custom LED toys of many sorts and it has began building into quite a collection. Now after so much research and prototyping we have come on final designs for a couple professional LED toys. In our arsenal we have of course our power house the ultra poi(Sock POI w/ 3 watt RGB LEDs with over 30 custom modes), the ultra hoop (30 RGB LEDs with over 30 custom modes), the ultra show stoppers (long POI w/ 30 RGB LEDs with over 30 custom modes), Ultra Pixel Poi( RGB LED Displaying pixel image modes) and a few other awesome toys to come as well. From all the reading Ive done on these forums over the years I haves seen many attempt at the task of programming custom RGB LED toys and only few have made it, so im sure many fellow spinners can appreciate the work that has been done here and may want to follow the progress of Ultrapoi.com. We are in the final manufacturing stages for many of professional toys that will be available very soon. Their are also a number of sweet videos on our website and on youtube to get a nice preview. Happy Spinning everyone!!! Stevo Check out our website And Hit us on FaceBook

EDITED_BY: *UltraPoi* (1408514857)

<br />Ultra Poi, LLC<br />Member

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
"The brightest poi set in the world" bit of a claim isnt it?

seeming as tho there are Hyperlights in public hands.
second best but still look quite good. are they programmable?

cheap enough tho.

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Don't see why they are not the brightest, hehe we have a 3 watt RGB stars with a nice little boost circuit that is blindingly bright!!! Yes Yes I'm a big fan of Jon's and am so proud of Hyperlights for finally getting into public hands was really beginning to get worried about that, I think I'm like number 380 in line smile when I registered like 2 years ago. But our company is shooting at someone who wants an awesome set of ultra bright performance poi with 30 unique custom built modes operating on rich sequences that can also be modulated 15 times to slow down frequency for added deepness to each of the modes. They will also have an option for on the fly changes for those who want it and they are geared towards those not willing to spend $500+ on locking down a set. The set will allow for upgradeable chips to expand the mode library and we may go into the programmable pro model in the future but of course that would drive up that awesome low price of $200 for a pro model. We are also going to be putting out a number of cool other LED toys for the future that lots will enjoy. And now some videos for you all. smile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Interesting, id like for Jon to comment on the "The brightest poi set in the world" statement. Would be nice to see these side by side next to hyperlights. What is the output in lumens?

What batteries to they run on, for how long? What's the weight of them. Any overheating problems?

I own Hyperlights, which are fantastic but am always interested in new/different toys

Cheers

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Hahah well everyone is getting all caught up on the brightest poi set in the world statement lol. Maybe I should clarify that it is one of the brightest poi sets in the world instead of "The" hahah (good thing there is not much competition for those to confront me on the brightest multi mode LED Hoop in the world statement as well smile ).

Well you know until someone throws a 5w RGB on their set which would probably just be overkill; then everyone’s 3w RGB max brightness (depending on mode) is probably pretty comparable, even to hyperlights, check out pictures and videos on my site if you want to compare (and of course exposure settings mean everything in the world of media documentation of light sources so keep that in mind, also don’t know our exact lumens but I’m sure I could crunch the math).

I know Hyperlight has been on the block going on like 5 years now so there are some hardcore fans (even me) that have been with them the whole way and will defend their honor at all cost. Our poi that are currently being sold are available right now(no waiting lists) and are running on 1 cr2 for our second gen models but our 3rd gen mass manufactured models will run from 2 AAs as well as a whole new library of modes that I think is going to stun the masses. Although theoretically you could run them off any battery you wanted for a short length of time if you could connect it, even like a 2016 coin cell, bc the boost circuit only needs as little as .8 v to generate the 5 volt boost to power the chip that controls the 3 watt RGBs.

As for the weight I have yet put them on a digi scale but I imagine they are just a tad lighter than hyperlights due to them being a little more compact, but I find it to be a very enjoyable weight and they are by no means too light. No heating issues so far and they have been punished by a few festivals and letting on lookers and newbs beat them up. Nothing like a little friendly completion to help get the ball moving ehh!!

BAKERPOIstranger
4 posts

Posted:
$200 is alot to spend on something without even seeing what they look like. Can you post some pictures of these poi under normal lighting..?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: *UltraPoi*Don't see why they are not the brightest, hehe we have a 3 watt RGB stars with a nice little boost circuit that is blindingly bright!!!

We too use 3W RGB's so you're going to have to change that to "One of the brightest" smile

The only way to be sure would be a side-by-side test but I'd put money on them being virtually identical brightness-wise. I agree on the point about making 5W versions and beyond - even with the 3W versions they're almost uncomfortably bright.

Originally Posted By: *UltraPoi*As for the weight I have yet put them on a digi scale but I imagine they are just a tad lighter than hyperlights due to them being a little more compact

Nothing like a bit of baseless speculation eh? wink

Hyperlights are ~115g per poi head including their AAA batteries. A pair of AAA's is ~25g and a pair of AA's are more like ~60g (I'm comparing 1000mAh NiMh vs 2450mAh NiMh here). So I would be surprised if your production toys aren't going to be heavier.

...but yeah, competition is definitely good for all the spinners out there smile

Cake or Death?

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
*g* I was going to ask for some details

@ ultrapoi, less lol and more facts please: photos of them unlit and lit and measured weight of the head with batteries for the various models would be very helpful 'an it please you.

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Yes was in process of putting together a user manual that would contain light module and mode pictures. It was also contain all of the details such as height, weight and power specifications. I have been working on the manual this week so that I can get it out to all of those who already have a pair from the last 2 months and so future buyers will have something to look at.

Anyone dig any of the videos?

EDITED_BY: *UltraPoi* (1292361683)

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
My birthday is in July - you have 6 months to get the details up. wink

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I like the videos.

The real test will come when you crack them together a few times - do they flicker, turn off/break etc

How do you change the modes, do you tap then, are there buttons that can smash (e.g. Oggz) so bits fall out? I had some poi where one knock made a loads of beads fly out everywhere!

A button on my oggz cracked in 3 places after hitting them together (even ifter i modded them to work upside down!)

How do the batteries secure? Is it easy to get them out/put them in? Do the contact on the batteries work well?

My flowlight in flowpoi seem to have rubbish contacts and 3 flowlights have stopped working now

Operating temperatures?

What happens when you wack one into your the back of your head, how much does it hurt? Are they solid metal with no padding? What are they made of, would the whole poi head crack in half if you wacked it into a table/wall when spinning them?

Ive owned quite a few different types of poi and they are generall made pretty crap. (unless paying for something that is well made) So far its only my monkey fists and hyperlights that I can say have been worth the money

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: GeezaSo far its only my monkey fists and hyperlights that I can say have been worth the money.

That's fantastic to hear :-)

The pixel poi look very interesting indeed. A lot like the props Feeding The Fish use in their performances.

I noticed you mentioned patents in a previous post (not sure where that went). I'm looking forward to seeing what novelties you're adding. I came to conclusion there wasn't anything new enough to warrant it (or at least that would be defendable).
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1293386640)

Cake or Death?

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
yes please more info they look great and i am interested but need specs

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
I hear that Geeza, I have pile of crappy spinning equipment sitting in my poi bone yard in my room. Making subpar gear is defiantly not the goal when we’re talking about a pro set of performance poi and other toys. Also by following Hyperlights progression over the years he has helped mold what caliber a pro set should be upheld to and I thank him for most of my inspiration.

When I first started my projects I realized that I could make a prototype for the poi fairly simply, but making a product that can be mass produced with a high standard of reliability was quite difficult. This led me to start working on other projects while putting the poi on the back burner to tinker with. That’s when we began the prototyping the Ultra Hoop (Hyperlight: which is one of the patents pending we are holding besides two other products that have not been released yet) and the show stoppers which have each been their own crazy can of worms hahah.

But back to the Poi, we eventually came upon a strong and simple polycarbonate mold for gen 2 that was very strong and provided a great host for the poi (we have tried to break them by slamming them but have been unsuccessful). The battery is held in by a Cr123 holder on the bottom of the unit which is secure and I have not experienced any contact or blinking issues and I have been spinning them for the last 6 months. They are extremely durable and the buttons are recessed so that the smash button syndrome on the flowlight and oggz are ruled out.

The modes are changed by one button and the frequency modulations (up to 15 parameters deep!!!) are changed by the second button, there is also option for an RF remote for external on the fly synchronized mode changes. The internal circuits are quite compact which helps with keeping the unit strong and protected against impact and the modules run warm but nowhere close to the damaging range of temperature spectrum.

About smashing them into the back of your head, yah that’s probably going to hurt hahaa but they do come with an optional padding which go around the modules, hopefully beginners won’t purchase them as their first pair. Even though they are pretty light weight (hyperlight: the weight comparison was just an educated guess based on the fact that you got more guts like the usb and programming circuit) and their made of polycarbonate so it really depends on how hard your spinning when you hit yourself smile.

Currently we are working on a few deadlines with two of the products we have not released yet. They are involved in some contractual dates in which they must be finished due to a third-party seller, so at the moment they are the highest priority. But I will get part of the user manual with pictures and specs up by the weekend. PM or email me at sales@ultrapoi.com

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the above. RF remote sequence changing sounds interesting

You know what they say - A picture means a thousand words. (A nice close up macro shot of them would be better!)

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Really cool, there is inna world only one company that produce POV
Poi, but they didn't made public any resources. Your "pixel" Poi
and "Ultra" orbit looks really awesome.

There must be great fun behind these prototipes. Good luck
with the mass poduction. I'll remember your site
and spread the knowledge. smile

ninja

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I will chime in that these look cool, but some close up pictures of them in daylight would be nice as well. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I love the pixel poi and the orbit! Will stay tuned for release and prices and such.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
I didn't finish the manual this weekend due to major time consuming advances in our new ultra poi interface but here is a video to help.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Convincgly strong! Obviously only time will tell how they stand up under 'fatigue' conditions, with smaller knocks hundreds of times.

I'd still like to see some good pictures of them unlit, preferably with something to show scale, so I can get an idea of how they're constructed.

No hurry though - my budget has been Chrismassed, I won't be buying myself any more toys for a few months.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Close-up pics of them in light please??

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
I hear you loud and clear Geeza, as you said in your last post along with others, you want to see pictures of them in the light. Will put those up asap when I finish more of the manual. Thought the running them over with my truck video would help tide you over for a few more days. Although I do appreciate your enthusiasm. smile

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
So are the pixel poi a mode of the ultra poi or is that another product that's not yet available?

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Nope the pixel poi are separate prop from the ultra poi, they feature 32 individually assignable rgb led per unit 64 total for a pair. They are at the moment the most complex poi we have so they may not be for sale for quite some time.

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Had a chance to snap a few pics for you all!!!

check out our other albums as well

Ultra Poi pic 1

Ultra Poi pic 2

Ultra Poi pic 3

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Interesting - do the 2 bits fit together so the battery is inside somewhere?

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
no sorry forgot to get the covers...If you spin with them on they are 50 g and the poi are 81 so they can help add some weight if you like them a little more heavy. I like to spin them without them in the socks and haven't had a problem with loosing the battery even when they are hit together occasionally so I leave them off.

Cover pic 1

Cover pic 2

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Ahah! and thanks.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
seems like it'd hurt? no padding?

*UltraPoi*GOLD Member
Ultrapoi.com
49 posts

Posted:
Yah padding is optional....but I don’t use it. I am by no means a pro, but these poi are also not for newbs who are learning how to spin. Have not had a problem, but as I said before in prior post, yah it would hurt if you hit your self in the face or something...just like it would hurt with those demon orange led balls you can order here on HOP smile

Orange beaming poi

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Sorry, this might have been answered before, but whats the battery life when running 1 poi head on on max power on 1 AA battery? (or 2 if it takes 2)

Page: