Page:
HavoKBRONZE Member
Amateur Fire Spinner
8 posts

Posted:
Ok this is a dumb Question, But will people think I'm gay if I get into fire spinning, I guess I don't really care but I do, And no offense to any body who's gay because I'm not one to judge, and I have gay friends and don't mind at all. I just worry about what kinds of techniques i'll be getting into.

"This is where things get Ugly"

HavoKBRONZE Member
Amateur Fire Spinner
8 posts

Posted:
Ok, That was a dumb Question. I take it back, Because I could care less about what people think of me. My real question is, What the Heck am I gonna do about my long hair to keep from setting it on fire when I start actually using fire. My hair goes almost to my mid back and I don't wanna cut it. But I guess I will if I have to. Any Great Suggestions?

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
There are a ton of tricks to handle that I think, but whatever you do, it's gonna get a bit dry

Just a dancer in the dark

Jenovadeathnewbie
34 posts

Posted:
Braid it reeeeeeeally tight and wet it?

Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering kaboom!!

A man who has nothing to die for also has nothing for which to live.

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
Well if you wear a shirt, pony tail and tuck it in.

No shirt? Well dread that shiz.

HavoKBRONZE Member
Amateur Fire Spinner
8 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I'm Getting some Very Good suggestions, I just wish I knew how to braid my own hair lol. But tucking it in my shirt seems like a good idea, I like to wear Bandanna's too, so maybe thats another Idea,

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Trust me people won't think you're gay anyway. People, at least for me, find it awesome, some manly I guess. But that doesn't really matter, it's still fun tongue2 And for your not dumb question, I would say either dread it , which I hate dreads x(, or tuck it into a shirt. But if you learn to braid (it's really easy), you can just do what that other person said and braid it tight and wet it. If all else fails, just do your best and wet it, or just wet it.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Can wear a beanie, depending on how long you hair is. Or cut it off.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

HavoKBRONZE Member
Amateur Fire Spinner
8 posts

Posted:
I really Don't wanna cut my hair so, I guess i'll have to learn to braid my own hair. I know how to braid but I'm sure it's harder to do to yourself.

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
Come on now SoD don't hate on dreads. I just started a farm of them on my head yesterday and I like em.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Fire mecca sell kevlar beanies if you're really worried about it - pony tail or braid and tuck it up in to the beanie.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
This thread..

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
I have a friend with long hair, he spins at the renaissance fest and he uses a bandana/big towel thing and wraps it around his hair to protect it. works very well

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I would suggest either putting in a topknot type thing, braiding it, or throwing a bandana on/tucking it into your shirt.

Also, as always, be prepared for the worst ^_^, and have safety gear on hand.

To answer your first question, if someone assumed you were gay, it's more likely due to personality/mannerisms than what you like to do in your spare time (unless that thing you do is kissing men). =P

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
Oh and a quick side note as we all give you tips. You will burn some hair off. I have hit myself in the head once.. Every now and then the buzz saws get a little close to the chin and I lose a little face hair. Nothing big to worry about though unless it is a direct hit and it sits there for longer than you can react.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
It occurs to me that Poiboy might have some insight into this. *snigger*

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm sure he does tongue2

And I don't like dreads because they just look nasty and feel like something you'd buy for a cat to scratch on.

richiiStick spinner
43 posts

Posted:
People might think your gay for fire spinning but if they make that assumtion based purly on that fact then there probably not the sort of people worth your time. I know lots of spinners with long hair most either use a hat or you could pony tail it and then wet the pony tail. Personally i have short hair and tend to singe it quite alot mainly when i'm trying to do tricks i just shouldn't do with fire without more practice. Although i spin staff mainly so i spend alot of time with fire going around my head and neck.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
depends - if you're wearing a pink tutu a blond, curly wig and lipstick while spinning - people might actually think that you might be gay...

on the other hand I really am waiting for drag spinners - you definitely should take the lead here....

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and regarding the hair - cut or singe it, what's the hassle anyway? lots of old memories and evidence of past substance-abuse... no guy needs long hair, besides death metal musicians wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomdepends - if you're wearing a pink tutu a blond, curly wig and lipstick while spinning - people might actually think that you might be gay...

on the other hand I really am waiting for drag spinners - you definitely should take the lead here....

Too late, I beat you all to that one grin
Was at a club with a drag show in the next room, stopped in to see what was going on and got pulled up on stage by an enormous, black queen who wanted me to spin. I did for a minute, then convinced her to laugh3

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Friend of mine was spinning in drag for a party a number of years ago. 2007?

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Oh, on a silly side note, you ever notice that folks who are worried about other people thinking they are gay are secretly closetted? =P

Don't worry about things like that, just be you.

On a SIDE side note, I've heard a large amount of cross dressers are actually straight. Who knew. Could be wrong, a friend of mine told me that.

JaredWSILVER Member
enthusiast
375 posts

Posted:
I've heard the same thing, not sure how true it is though.
I would think it would be uncomfortable with clothes being cut differently.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Yeah, me too... then again, some guys wear briefs, some boxers, some even less.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

rugglerBRONZE Member
Toss Juggler
15 posts

Posted:
About the gay thing... I joggle (run and joggle). People come to the most illogical conclusions. One drunk guy said to me "Hey, isn't San Francisco in the west coast?" (in Florida). I've gotten called "faggot" numerous times, and told "you're gay" quite a bit. I just let people think what they want.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah the sad thing is, if all of the sudden you did that on fire, they'd be cheering you on trying to hand you freshly brewed beers and patting you on the back assuming you have somewhere around 7 testicles.

JoshDGnewbie
49 posts

Posted:
Don't worry what others think of you fellah if you enjoy spinning then just do what makes you happy smile

I mean I'm bearded, bald, straight and heavily tattoo'd and yet I spin with pink poi just because they look wicked, if you know you're straight then bugger everyone else and just spin.

Besides if you're happy with what you're doing then that'll show whenever you spin even when you practice, atleast that's what I've noticed smile

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitYeah the sad thing is, if all of the sudden you did that on fire, they'd be cheering you on trying to hand you freshly brewed beers and patting you on the back assuming you have somewhere around 7 testicles.

Ah... double standards smile

Just a dancer in the dark

Page: