Forums > Social Discussion > WikiLeaks - what do you think?

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
New Website of WikiLeaks - exiled to Switzerland and to Austria...

Post your opinion about WikiLeaks, Assange and the recent stir... here?

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Please allow me to be the first to be completely irrational and post something I only slightly beleive.... lol

WikiLeaks is probably being supplied with information by the government and they are just using reverse psychology to make everyone want to read WikiLeaks.

^_^

I'm done.

In general I think it's not good to keep secrets no matter who you are (despite the fact that I tend to keep one or two from my family at all times). Yes, I can be hypocritical.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'm all for it. If every nation was open and honest we would all be in a better position.

As much as I think Assange is a bit of a self important tool he has started a major revolution in the freedom of information.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Ambassador Dell via WikileaksRock-solid partners like Australia don't pack enough punch to step out front
So Australia is uninfluential? No censored . Next we'll be hearing that the Pope is Catholic.

Originally Posted By: @WikileaksSarah Palin says Julian should be hunted down like Osama bin Laden--so he should be safe for at least a decade
LOL!

Security threat?
Originally Posted By: US Government, paraphrased OMG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE BECAUSE WIKILEAKS LEAKED THE NASTY STUFF WE SAID/DID!
That's what they said last time and noone died.

Sure, maybe it didn't all need to come out but had Wikileaks leaked some of it and not all of it, then they're just as bad as the governments.

So what's my opinion? Transparency is a good thing. Governments are starting to get too big for their boots.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
They supposedly did only leak parts of it. The story is that he's holding onto some piece of information in order to protect his life.

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
mes - WL might even be a CIA outlet, designed to tighten internet security and test into cyber DOS wars... wink

You wouldn't believe that Assange is 'hiding' in the UK, with Scotland Yard knowing his whereabouts and the US 'trying' to get him, would you?

Apart from that I feel that the release of this information was p e r f e c t.... Only because it's the US doesn't make moles and informants automatically 'holy'. You decide to leak sensitive information, you may face the fact that your name is all over front pages at some stage.

One government employee in Germany got sacked for passing on secret government information (talks) to the US consulate... the others die in silence... devil

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
MNS, I hadn't heard that but as much as it's against the ethos, I can't say that I blame him given that there are already nutcase American politicians calling for his execution.

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Here is a left wing article and here is a more right wing approach.

hug

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
hahaha yeah, that pretty much sums it up - finding the balance between the left-wing and the right wing reporting! Which is why it surprised me when he wrote for The Australia and they published it!

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Well here's what the US government USED to think of Internet censorship:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8472683.stm

What a bunch of hypocrites!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Retaliatory attacks on Master and Visacard, Paypal, etc. a 16yr young hacker arrested in the Netherlands for being part of the action taken... Paypal re-enabled WL' account...

Never gets boring...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There is a difference between censorship and whats going on here that I think needs to be noted in order for it to be included in the conversation.

To use a crude example... the idea of letting pretty well anyone say whatever they like about me or other things is quite different from if I told somebody something not-so-nice that I said about another person and they go and tell the world.

Its not quite showing them where the spare key to the house is or anything, but these are two slightly different issues that need to be addressed appropriately if you want to bring them both up in a discussion.

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I (guess I) agree with you MNS... the issue might be that some people gave the US diplomatic corpse some information (which they shouldn't) and they passed this information on to the government (which is their duty).

they gave their (personal) opinion about politicians and other people...

and they transmitted informations about corporate (and other)(corrupt) affairs in those (foreign) countries...

and the US government did not protect these informations 'properly'...

it leaked...

and then these informations got published...

and then the US government and others embark on a witch-hunt and of course blame everybody else but themselves (and might have put pressure on companies to cut their ties to WL)...

Isn't it that (international) politicians don't really care too much about these informations being published but more about the fact that someone was able to publish them?

Much of it isn't great news... Berlusconi a womanizer, Merkel ... well whatever, big corporations doing dirty business... all that is not really "vital" is it?

What is interesting though is the big stir, the censorship, the attacks on WL and Assange... for me it is interesting how this "big machine" works...

It is interesting with what pathetic slogans politicians react to this incident. (funny enough Indian newspaper quoted Palin as saying that Assange should be hunted down like Obama) It is interesting to observe what people really think about "right of information", "censorship" and their "freedom of speech"...

I wasn't even sure about posting it here in the first place (and am censoring myself in my opinion on WL and the US government before someone else does it).

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
It would be more interesting if he'd actually leak something that we didn't already know.

At this stage of the game all I';m seeing is it being all about Assange wanting to make his name a household word. Maybe he's angling for a spot on Survivor, or maybe he's just got the hots for Sibel Edmonds.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
well, he leaked things that made people want to have him dead... maybe he could have achieved that one more easy whistle

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
What I find more disturbing though is that some people are openly demanding Assange's assassination in public media - and get away with it, without any of the moderators challenging the notion.

(for example here: Bob Beckel @ Fox News)

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
yep, it seems everybody is after a piece of poor Julian's media spotlight as he languishes at a posh country home in the UK. Oh no wait, that's Bradley Manning who's doing the languishing as Assange parties it up, rock star style with Bianca Jagger, no doubt on the legal defense money Assange promised Manning but has yet to deliver on.

Here we have a Canadian right wing freak calling for Assange's assassination and a left wing freak getting in on the action.

So, anything actually useful out of Wikileaks yet ? The crown prince of Thailand is a douchebag ? yea, we know. Oil platform explosion in the Caspian sea ? useful if yo think you can tie that into the Gulf of Mexico oil spill I suppose, but still useless.

Come on Julian, give us the good stuff, you said you were sitting on it and going to release it if you got arrested in the UK.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Then there's today's fuss about the movie Sicko.

The Guardian headlines say.

Quote:Film-maker says diplomats made up the story to discredit film that showed healthcare was worse in US than Cuba

The actual cable is here

Quote:-- XXXXXXXXXXXX stated that Cuban authorities have banned Michael Moore's documentary, "Sicko," as being subversive. Although the film's intent is to discredit the U.S. healthcare system by highlighting the excellence of the Cuban system, he said the regime knows the film is a myth and does not want to risk a popular backlash by showing to Cubans facilities that are clearly not available to the vast majority of them.

Someone for some reason redacted the name of the person who made that statement. A little investigoogling leads us to this site where we clearly see that the statement was made by a Cuban doctor and barfed back up by the diplomatic cable, not created by the author of the cable.

Now who was that guy who put up 20 grand bail for Assange? Oh yea Michael Moore . What a coincidence that Assange would release something beneficial to Moore a few days later.

Now if I can find this in less than 10 minutes ( thank FSM for google translation ) why cant the Guardian ?

Cue circus music...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
The Guardian appears to have pulled the page with the cable on it.

Cached version

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
How was that beneficial to Michael Moore?
It shows that he fabricated (or at least twisted) evidence in his film. His credibility is already virtually zero.

Loads of important stuff has come out already. Have you not been reading the the releases? The press have obviously picked up on a lot of the petty nonsense (Berlusconi is a womanising party animal etc.) but we have seen the UK Prime Minister overruled by unelected officials in Whitehall and much more.

Some of us may only be seeing confirmation of that which we already knew but a large chunk of the population are seeing this stuff for the first time.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
WikiLeaks Documentary

Is a good documentary which points out some good things, and bad things about Wikileaks. I recommend watching it.

Also...if you're in Britain (sort of related to wikileaks) there's a good documentary on the ITV player about the media and censorship:

The War you Don't See

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
It's free publicity for both Moore and Assange in a I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine kind of way. Why else would Moore put up 20 grand as bail for Assange ? We know Assange can afford it and it's just bail, money Moore will get back.

I'd never heard that Sicko was banned in Cuba and my investigooling led me to nothing but obscure backwater right wing blogs and forums.

So we've had the big build up from wikileaks, saying they have all these documents that they're going to release. What do we get ? Yawn, then we have this "threat" that Wikileaks will release the good stuff should he get arrested, what do we get ? Yawn.

I'm beginning to think that the whole rape thing was faked too, to generate still more publicity. Assange hasn't been charged with anything merely wanted for questioning under some bizzare Swedish legal mechanism.

Will he be charged ? We'll have to wait and see.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump*

free publicity for Mr. Bradley Manning right HERE