Forums > Social Chat > National anthem thread

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
imagine out of nowhere someone would play the melody of your national anthem... how many would be able to sing along - how many would just go "la la la"?

(no worries, even public figures - like soccer players on the field - would just do lip service) wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't. I'm not the biggest fan of the Aussie national anthem. There was apparently a lot of controversy when they brought it in and I think it's a little bit crap - the biggest regional accent difference in the country and it's in the friggen title of the song rolleyes Plus the range of the song is too much for the average singer.

One of Australia's many unofficial anthems? Hells yes - I'm singing! Especially if there's beer going on!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I can sing mine blindfold with one hand tied behind my back.

And in five languages. Which are all part of it, but let us gloss over that. smile

edit: Rouge: What is the difficulty in "Advance Australia Fair" from a linguistics standpoint?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I can sing all of mine, doesn't mean I would.

hug

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The pronunciation of "advance." Contrary to international belief, Australia actually has a number of regional accents and the easiest difference to spot is the vowel in dance/France/grant and of course 'advance.' The difference being [æ] and [a:]
EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1291985214)
EDIT_REASON: unicode...

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I could sing the 3.rd verse of our anthem... the first one is prohibited and the second one nobody knows... that's German style ... crazy go figure wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
WTF is a O'er?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomI could sing the 3.rd verse of our anthem... the first one is prohibited and the second one nobody knows... that's German style ... crazy go figure wink

laugh3 for a race reknowned for their logical bent that's pretty priceless smile

offtopic
i remember watching a German new programme some years ago - my German wasn't up to much so I had to check I understood the item correctly - the bends in a river had been straightened out shortly after the war (celarly didn't fit with their idea of Ordnung) but had realised it had an adverse affect on the local environment so were putting them back in again. Oh how I laughed umm

Back on topic - I could manage the 1st verse and that's it, but God Save the Queen is such a dirge I'd rather La along to the Welsh National Anthem and feel the emotion stir

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I know all the words to the Canadian national anthem. Of course, having the most awesome national anthem on the planet helps.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Fire Moose I censored dunno either wink errm what is an O'er wink

Wild child - could have been about my hometown... Munich.... Millions spent to straighten the river, now millions spent to bend it back... we were not laughing, just smirking and are really happy, because it's now just that much more interesting and beautiful there...

Stout! hey. Stout! crazy where do you come from all of a sudden?

PS: man, I'm starting a thread not even knowing what I'm getting myself into...

reading into the history of the German national anthem discovered a few really interesting facts for me in case you're interested... not only did we not have a "Germany" as such prior to 1848 (Germany has never been a "nation state until then), the national anthem was created 1841 and inaugurated 1922...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1292008160)
EDIT_REASON: history taking over ...

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ours is from 1897 and 1920, depending on which part you look at. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
@ Firetom: it's over from someone who's run out of V...

or syllables.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Our national anthem is the one from Team America: World Police, right? I know there's a drinking song about banners that people sing at baseball games when they're getting ready to chug cheap beer...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenOur national anthem is the one from Team America: World Police, right? I know there's a drinking song about banners that people sing at baseball games when they're getting ready to chug cheap beer...

Sources say Kid Rock, Oprah and Sarah Palin are working on an updated version.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jameth@ Firetom: it's over from someone who's run out of V...

or syllables.

*scratching my head, trying to make sense* wink

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
It means "over" and she's saying that she's lazy and skipping syllables. If she had V (an energy drink) she'd talk at a million miles an hour with all syllables intact! ^_^

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*shakes head* thanks MNS... that much meaning in a few words only - and I'm considered "cryptic" wink

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Thank you both. smile

@ mns - I can usually manage the v myself, I was casting nasturtiums at the poet. Presumably s/he was a tad obsessive about form and had to drop a syllable to get the poem to scan properly.

Also, I'm a she, but that's not important right now.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
A she? I knew that and I posted accordingly, I didn't change a single letter in my post..

Hmmhmmhmmmmmmmmmmmm

hug

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
yer a she? not a gay dude named James?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
america censored yeah

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
*blinks, rubs eyes*

mnc, it's too early for me to be sure whether I was seeing things or you're carrying the cryptic flag today. #)

Either way, deffo not James, nor any other kind of fella. tongue2

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
https://whatport80.com/Jameth

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Awake now having had coffee (one cannot drink V with muesli).

Here I was thinking Fire_Moose was being extremely cryptic with the esses too...

I didn't read the whole thing, but I take it the LJ user's name is a transmogrification of James...

my nic is a short form of Jamethiel, which is a girl's name, but not in the real world but from a book I was reading when I joined. It's more often shortened to Jame but I thought that would be confusing.

https://kencyr.wikia.com/wiki/Jame

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
OoO i like Jamethiel!

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Me too, but it seemed kinda presumptous to use the whole thing, given I'm not an incarnation of the dark face of the deity.

At least, I hope I'm not. eek