MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
has anyone else thought of a poi learning game for the kinnect as there are no controllers you are the controller i wonder how hard that would be to make

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
It would be unbelieveably difficult. Kinect uses an infra red camera to calculate depth. I dont think the resolution and frame rate (mostly due to the processing overheads) of this hardware is high enough for such a small, fact moving object (as poi) to be detected accurately.

Check out the stuff on the desk in this video:

That stuff is not moving at speed. I'm pretty convinced that it would not be possible to accurately capture and plot the necessary data.

Most objects have to have IR beams from the built in projector bounced off them to be detected.

The IR camera is also sensetive to things that emit IR radiation (i.e. warm/hot things) so there are potential ways round this but none that are particularly practical.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I could see 3 ball juggling working ok if the balls were big enough. a lot of moves work OK in 2D so the depth perception wouldn't be too bad.

Thinking though has anyone tried using aerotech globalls with the playstation Move? you could probably match the colour pretty well...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
The thought occurs to me that one could probably just pick up the hand movements and model the poi on screen.

Although the question of why do that as opposed to just using poi and occurs.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
the kinect can actually track toys pretty well, the 'Fitness Evolved' game models your body in a wire mesh on screen and it's pretty darned accurate, I picked up a pair of sock poi the first time I turned it on and was amazed at how well it did!! you can't go all out speed wise or it looks a bit sketchy but at a normal smooth spinning speed it's spot on!!! I really want someone to make a game now where it models your toys as weapons in the game world...

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: liquidtrance I really want someone to make a game now where it models your toys as weapons in the game world...

Too bad God of War is a Playstation exclusive...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well if it has ir detector then would have to make ir poi but i have very limited technical knowledge so i have no idea how hard this would be

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus