firechild47BRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
So I am starting to learn poi but i have heard a few different things regarding ergonomics of poi. i want to make sure i'm not spinning in a way that will hurt my body, as i use it for a lot of other things too smile
I heard from someone I know who does fire poi (what i want to do) that you have to keep your wrists pretty straight and use your fingers to manipulate and swing the balls... but on all the videos i have seen the arms are so loose and the wrists are being moved more than anything else. which gives you more control?
are there any other body ergonomics i should keep in mind as i begin to practice? thanks!!!! grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
My body is very loose when I spin, I use very little movement as far as keeping the poi moving. But there are some things you should know as far as not hurting yourself.

This video will help you very much in not injuring yourself. And for god sakes, when it comes to behind the back DO THE STRETCHES and don't be stupid like me thinking, "Oh I'm super flexible, I don't need to." It's not about the flexibility, I got extreme shoulder pain for like a week and a half, I could barely lift my hands above my waist. So listen to this stuff when it somes to the extreme positions of your shoulders.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I second the 'do your stretches' bit. Also, keep on doing them even after you have the move, it's not just whilst you're learning, I need to keep up with it or the problems come back.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
That's a good vid. I will add the minor comment to it that, IME, shoulders tend to get injured more than just about anything else (at least I and everyone I spin fire with tends to have shoulder problems most), so take special care with them. They can get hurt more easily than you probably think.

Stretch your wrists too, but unless you have preexisting wrist problems it's normal to let them move a lot.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

firechild47BRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
awesome i'll check that out. smile
yeah stretching is good for obvious reasons ^.^

i am still not sure though, when i'm spinning, if i should be moving my wrists or not. where is the momentum supposed to come from as far as keeping it spinning? does it come from your fingers? wrists? arms? I understand it's probably all three, but primarily where does it come from?

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Mostly wrists and some from fingers. It really depends a lot on what grip you are using. Well as I got better I shifted more towards fingers. But if you're gonna worry about it, worry about it later wink

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, just move the way you've gotta move to make the poi do what you want. The muscle groups involved will change depending on what you're doing (for me, shoulders come in more for extensions and stalls, mostly wrists for everything else). But unless you have specific preexisting problems, there's no reason to do any special micro-management.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s