Page:
ken710314GOLD Member
3 posts

Posted:
Ever since I saw Isis Poi on Salza, I have been in love with them, just by the design of course. Bought some 1/2inch kevlar ropes and they are currently on delivery.
Was wondering if anyone can show me how to make an Isis poi? or even close up pictures at different angles could do. Judging by serveral uncleared pictures I think 1/2inch kevlar ropes are what they use and please correct me if I am wrong.

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
this isnt *exactly* the same type of knot used but i dont think its far off hope it helps https://www.animatedknots.com/crownsinnet...imatedknots.com

Indie73BRONZE Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
erm... they have cuted ends at the bottom and at the top of it, so it's not so easy as at https://www.animatedknots.com/crownsinnet...imatedknots.com
. by this link you can see "normal isis" and cathedral isis", both of them are making of 2 pieces of rope, but salza makes from 4 ))) but i din't understand how =\

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
how much kevlar should I use if I make a set using 4 ropes? I made set using 2x6 meter pieces, going over it twice, but I didn't tighten it enough and they're dying frown

Indie73BRONZE Member
stranger
11 posts

Posted:
_Poiboy_ try to make just one layer ) i make isis on the chain and after each knot i fix rope by thin stainles thread.
Why i asking about salza& Cause it type of isis, we call him a 1.5 layer, is best. it burns great, have a very good weight and dont dying fast. "+" of salza it's that we use 4 ropes on one "head" and one tighten another)))
sorry for bad english, but i think that you understand)

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
I have recently tried to make poi similar to the Isis design with limited success. I do have a set of poi heads with very large flames that burn for a 5-6 min consistently before I put them out. I used 10mm (3/8th inch) woven Kevlar® rope from Home of Poi. I made the poi using 4 lengths Kevlar in a weave similar to the one above. The only down side to these wicks is their weight. They are too heavy for many of my fiends, and potential customers, to spin.

I have been toying with the idea of adding 1 in Kevlar tape rolled up to the center of the weave, and then making the rope wrap around that tape. this would leave the heads at their current size, allow them to stay rigid, increase absorption, while decreasing the weight.

Has any one tried some thing like this before? is there a possible down side that I am not seeing before I spend money on the idea? are there any ideas or suggestions? how heavy are the Salza isis heads?

NOTE: I am in no way attempting to reverse engineer or recreate the Salsa design, simply using it as a bench mark for comparison.
EDITED_BY: Rives (1269314260)
EDIT_REASON: added note

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I think that is the same as Feuershow's Osiris poi design. ANd I don't understand why someone takes their burnt out Isis head and unweaves it to see how it's done.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1269739711)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
HA! that would be cheating, and completely destroy hours of meaningless speculation and pontification on HoP forums.

... and i don't have one. frown

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
they are basic lanyard knots with the ends threaded back down through the loops. I think Salza uses the circle stitch. Very similar to the Crown Sinnet.

laneyards.com/

EDITED_BY: DyamiTK (1270155684)

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
I tried this with denim a while back tongue2 it worked.... for a little bit.

here are some test weaves:

These are the kevlar heads that i wound up making based on that tests and the isis design: (these large ones are the heads that i am currently using.)

EDITED_BY: Rives (1270262235)

2,280 posts

Posted:
GUYS!!! You know how Salza does it with 4 ropes? I'm almost 100% sure I found it! https://www.laneyards.com/2008/11/tornado-stitch.html

RivesGOLD Member
118 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitGUYS!!! You know how Salza does it with 4 ropes? I'm almost 100% sure I found it! https://www.laneyards.com/2008/11/tornado-stitch.html

This is my preferred method(with a few minor differences that make it a little more better for fire) but from images, i do not believe that this is the salza method. I think i figured out the salza poi actually, but i feel bad posting it...

if any one wants my theories, and has the intention to make a set of poi for them selves, not sell my or his design, send me a PM?

oh and I'm officially going to start selling my design now that I'm fairly certain it is not the same as Salza, but this is not the place for me to market it, so... if you want info, send me a PM.
a PM?

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
guys...this is what I came up with...
(it's made out of 8mm plastic rope just to show you)

https://files.myopera.com/stano3b/files/poi%20-%20top.jpg

https://files.myopera.com/stano3b/files/poi%20-%20side.jpg

EDIT: using 3 pieces of 1m long (10mm) kevlar rope would give them about 125 grams per head

EDITED_BY: stano3b (1270296056)

...can you speak poi?

2,280 posts

Posted:
How did you make them? I want to make some practice heads with Nylon rope also to see what kind of weaves give me what. And I think I might like that one.
Ok, I know this most definately not Isis, but how do you think this would work for poi? https://www.laneyards.com/2008/11/twisted-fluted-columns-stitch.html

EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270319776)

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
think this might be it

but if I were doing it I think i'd put the chain attachment at the other end (where you start)for security...

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I was going to do that for a pair of practice heads. I already saw that, and that could very much well be it. Also for the loop I was going to use the loop/washer thing they do for cathedral heads, except just use 1 washer just to hold the loop in plce and then if I was going to make my own chains, I would hammer in a swivel to that loop to cut down on hardware.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270325632)

stano3bGOLD Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
well...the website I got the knots from is in slovak language, but I think pictures will be good enough to guide you to make them.

the website: https://gord.gringo.cz/Uzly/index.html?Text=ZU-Suk.html#Suk2p
- just scroll down to "Suk přes dva prameny" (using 6 ends)...first it's kinda tricky, so be patient smile
and this is one of the ways you can begin with.
https://files.myopera.com/stano3b/files/start.jpg
or just put 3 pieces of rope on each other in the middle and start the knot...

that it's only up to you how you attache a ring/chain to them

does it help?

...can you speak poi?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, that sure looks like Isis if I've ever seen it. I think I know what I'll make for myself though now. I want this, except I'll use 1"x1/16" Kevlar tape. I want big heads and apparently these are quite light for their size and have a [censored]-ton of surface area. Also, it's much cheaper, like 25 bucks cheap for the two heads including the loops to put in them grin
Edit: I looked into the dimensions, and NO!!! That would be WAYYYYY too wide. I want maybe between like 10mm and like 15mm at the very very most. NOT 28mm! That would be unworkable!
Edit again: I found the 10mm rope from HoP, it would work very nicely smile But it turns out to be about twice as expensive, that is not happyface. That is cry
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1270330426)

taytaySILVER Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
i used the Isis poi last night and they are really, really heavy to say the least. at least 1 pound each when fueled but maby more.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah wounds about right, but the chain they come with is so light it doesn't matter too much. Also I've seen people using much heavier monkeyfists smirk They are little masterpieces to say the least. And oh my lord it's like swinging a couple jet engines. You can't hear censored other than the fire especially when using Coleman's! I may make a tutorial if I get a hold of some spare rope of how to make them some time. But there are a lot of things I could do but don't smirk Oh the things I could do laugh3

PiotreeeeeeeeeekGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
are you all sure that isis poi are made of 10 mm rope ? not 12 mm ?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Considering that Salza only has 10mm and 15mm rope, yes I am.

Iki_stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Has anyone even bought a pair of original isis?

i'm really curious if they're worth the price...

2,280 posts

Posted:
I did, yes yes yes yes! The best weighted poi I've ever used. The flame is amazing, but MAN for some reason it just seemed to buzz through the white gas when I used it last! It only lasted 3:30 which is really odd o0 Normally it's like 5 minutes at least. I remember it was really windy, but does it affect it that much?

I say yes for sure! Also it's a good model showing you how to make it when it needs replacing wink

Iki_stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Thnx SoD smile

i think that when my monkeys will die i'll definetly choose isis...

they look good in every way i look at them...

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the only thing is, the flame is at it's peak for like 1 minute or so, but it just dies down and stays there for a long time. I so wish it would stay completely epic! Although compared to most heads, when it dies down it's still huge laugh3 But it stays loud as a tornado pretty much the whole time.

PiotreeeeeeeeeekGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
can you give us a photo of them from different sides ?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Not sure how well you could see them considering they're black. But i know someone else that only burns with white gas that has then, I could ask him if i could get a few pics of them next time I see him since you can actually still kinda see the weave.

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: stano3bwell...the website I got the knots from is in slovak language, but I think pictures will be good enough to guide you to make them.

the website: https://gord.gringo.cz/Uzly/index.html?Text=ZU-Suk.html#Suk2p
- just scroll down to "Suk přes dva prameny" (using 6 ends)...first it's kinda tricky, so be patient smile
and this is one of the ways you can begin with.
https://files.myopera.com/stano3b/files/start.jpg
or just put 3 pieces of rope on each other in the middle and start the knot...

that it's only up to you how you attache a ring/chain to them

does it help?

Brilliant!! im trying to make my own set like this...
https://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/willow2x/poi/CW%20Isis%20Wick/DSC06234.jpg

but your link looks like a better knot, any knowing how much rope ill need with the 6 ropes per head? =/

the way i made the practice version uses just under 4m for both heads but they only weigh 90g and the salza's are 160g per head i think.
im going to use a tape wich core if i go ahead with my design to add a little bulk maby get to about 120g-130g

but yeahhh, how will these attatch to the quicklink and how do you keep the knot from comming loose??

alot of questions i know, but i MUST KNOWWWWWWW!! >.< haha!

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

Scottie~MacKGOLD Member
Naval High Comander
31 posts

Posted:
I've made a pair of isis poi out of 12 mm rope, but they are way too heavy. I'm just waiting to have the funds to buy some Kevlar tape & hardware. I based my design totally on this guys videos. Worth checking out.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Originally Posted By: Pablo PicassoI am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Those aren't even remotely like Isis. But I've thought about doing that one with rope. How much rope did you use and how long did they turn out?

Page: