dandipoistranger
8 posts

Posted:
Hi guys-
I'm writing a paper for a folklore class about poi and I need a section on the jargon. I've been trying to figure out how to define a weave and haven't really come up with anything. I can talk about how there are different levels, but I haven't figured out how to explain the basic concept of them. Any one have ideas?

EDITED_BY: dandipoi (1290783553)

"I want to touch the heart of the world and make it smile. I want to be a friend of elves and live in a tree. Or under a hill. I want to marry a moonbeam and hear the stars sing. I don’t want to pretend at magic anymore. I want to be magic."

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, there's been a discussion on it, I don't think we ever came to a conclusion. We do have some other things we did settle on on this page https://wikipoidia.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Hoe that helps for something, but let me see if I can get that discussion onto here. It's not all relevant, but I don't feel like filtering it laugh3

Andrew Exuro Piechocki
Lets all start with a simple definition.
Everyone write down what a weave is!
about a week ago · LikeUnlike · Comment · UnsubscribeSubscribe

o
Andrew Exuro Piechocki Any motion from one plane to a parallel plane that exists on the other side of some body part and involves at least one degree of twisting and untwisting throughout the fulll cycle.
November 16 at 7:27pm · LikeUnlike
o
David Whisennant A crossing and uncrossing of points of rotation that results in symmetry between two paralell planes.
November 16 at 8:10pm · LikeUnlike · 1 personChris Phishy Fisher likes this.
o
Andrew Exuro Piechocki what if its atomic?
November 16 at 9:36pm · LikeUnlike
o
Charlie Lyons The Atomic weave is a fusion of a three beat weave and split time opposites and a portal.
November 16 at 10:14pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro I thought it was a mix of poi and quantum mechanics?
November 16 at 10:15pm · LikeUnlike
o
Charlie Lyons I go to PlayPoi.com. They have a ton of tutorials there.
November 16 at 10:16pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro Are you sure it's not in some physics textbook? I could swear it was in somewhere in a book on quantum neutrino fields...
November 16 at 10:18pm · LikeUnlike
o
Charlie Lyons Lol as far as I know!! Its just a poi move!! It looks seriously complicated but is totally doable.
November 16 at 10:19pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro Trust me I've known both introverted and extroverted atomics weave 5 and 3bt for a very long time lol. I actually got 5bt first, but I was a very determined little man only a couple weeks in xD I'm pretty sure I destroyed my face learning the introverted one.
November 16 at 10:21pm · LikeUnlike
o
Charlie Lyons In all Honesty, I'm a novice and havent gotten that far myself. I just nailed the reverse three beat weave. But that was the definition I got. But your probably right!! I'm still learning but hopefully will be as good very soon!!
November 16 at 10:23pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro There are many things that don't really gave any prerequisites to learn other than decent control of your planes, so I suggest starting those whenever you want smile Such as isolations, a concept of its own, takes a long time to get good so start when you can wink Along with flowers as well, and that will actually help you learn many other things if you learn to do them correctly grin
November 16 at 10:24pm · LikeUnlike
o
Charlie Lyons Thanks Vinny!! There is quite a bit I can already do, but there are a ton of things I still need to work on!! THank you for your advice!! Hugs!!
November 16 at 10:29pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro Yay huggies!
November 16 at 10:30pm · LikeUnlike
o
David Whisennant
OK. i think the focus here is a concise and simple definition of a theory, not a move. As far as i'm concerned, weave is a sort of class. lets assume that a wiki would explain things in the sort of algebraic notation Drex was working on, ex...cept maybe on a broader scale. IE define the basic constants before modifying the equation with variables, just in a linguistic sense instead of with equations. So in case of the atomic weave. Atomic weave is described as a weave (known constant) modified by the variables of timing and plane type. Or some such combination. In a wiki lay out this would allow for clear connections between concepts and make the information easily linkable. So the weave article might be a basic definition and then include terms with modifications to the primary theory. Giving the reader to approach the depth of their research subjectively to their own abilities.See More
November 17 at 1:11am · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading...
o
Andrew Exuro Piechocki
Good call David, A weave is certainly a move "class" if you will, into which every weave should be able to fit. I feel that we should consider ourselves all poi-fessors of sorts whom are writing a textbook on poi. In the definitions section..., what would a book on poi tell us a weave is? In the weave "chapter" what sub categories of weaves could/should be included?

A Weave is an extremely broad term, and therefore its actual definition would cover the constants that we see in all types of weaves.See More
November 17 at 12:04pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro Can weaves be called weaves if hands are same time with eachother? (more meaningful to more techy weaves)
November 17 at 2:48pm · LikeUnlike
o
David Whisennant whelp. Like a butterfly weave? In my mind, as long as you are in a pattern that is symmetrical and self perpetuating, then yes. Hands same direction same time i GUESS is a weave, technically a two beat, but really just a single cross point. Not very interesting to say the least.
November 17 at 2:51pm · LikeUnlike
o
Vinny Mauro I'm talking more a triquetra "weave". One hand extending and one hand antispin.
November 17 at 2:52pm · LikeUnlike
o
David Whisennant In a weave? Ive never tried it. Do you have a video or something?
November 17 at 2:55pm · LikeUnlike
o
David Whisennant i mean what it comes down to, in my minds eye anyway, is a perpetuating pattern between two parallel planes. as long as the pattern is mirrored on both sides and feeds itself.
November 17 at 2:57pm · LikeUnlike
o
David Whisennant then its a weave.
o
David Whisennant IE 1.5 beat weaves venture into strange timings and directions.
o
Andrew Exuro Piechocki
yes that would be a weave vinny, you are twisting and untwisting while crossing a plane presented by the body. same thing with 1.5s.

A weave doesnt necessarily create a mirror image of body motions though, for instance a two beat weave is st...ill a weave, but only one hand will do the crossing over/under.See More
November 17 at 4:08pm · Like

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
ok from readin all that what i got is it is a weaving motion of the hands which also are a mirrored movement that create a symetrical pattern that is parallel with itself on both sides thanks to its simple fixed cross-point

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Hey I might just post that overall definition for the WikiPoiDia group. Thanks grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin