Forums > Videos > Am I Ninja skilled yet?

Login/Join to Participate

David_Thomas1SILVER Member
journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
K so ive been spinning for a year and a half, i havent done workshops but how can i get better or am i already pretty good? lol

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
You're style is nice, I like it. But as for things to work on. Your pendulums need a ton of work, it looks like you're trying with all your might to stay away from the fire when you do them and I'm sure that's not the case, just the look it gives. Your sideways stalls coming from the bottom need lots of work, they just go straight down instead of sideways. A hint for you, it's like an isolated motion going into the stall. Anything where your hand follows the head of the poi your hand is quite off. And when you do those hybrids, isolate the poi your hand is following and don't focus on the hand following the head or it won't work right, just focus on the pedaling motion of your hands and they'll just fall into place smile

Also I can tell from your spinning that you came from glowstringing. Your arms are always bent and brought in close to your body and it looks quite awkward. Work on extending out your arms whenever you extend. It looks much more clean and impressive. Your flowers need some cleaning up, but that takes a good amount of time, I suggest looking up Nick's Secret of Poi Flowers video and following his exercises as they do wonder on your flowers wink

Also with your CAPs I can't tell completely because I can't see your armswell, but it looks like when you make the antispin part of it your arms kinda crunch in. Work on keeping them extended, basically to practice just lock your arms so they're kinda forced into being straight.

I hope this helped and don't take this badly. It's just meant to be constructive criticism, I say that because a few people have taken it as insulting and they just confuse me because they put it here for criticism laugh3

Overall tech-wise, you're pretty good, you know a good amount of stuff for how long you've been spinning. You just don't have it down cleanly. I suggest really working on cleaning things up for about a month or two, or dedicate a good chunk of your practice time to it and you'll see results pretty quickly smile

And now to end this comment here because I tend to ramble on way too much if I don't stop myself. Like this one time... NO! BAD VINNY!!!
Happy spinning!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

David_Thomas1SILVER Member
journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
Lol no that helps alot ive been spinning so much time on just trying to get the gist of every single move out there i want to learn a little bit more and then i really want to dedicate my time into cleaning it all up but im not sure what you mean by extending my arms caus eof my glowsticking habits people keep saying that to me but i dont get it lol ive been spinning for a year and a half now i feel like im not nearly as good as i should ne frown

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Basically, your arms are always bent, even when they should be extended for the full effect.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin