Forums > Social Chat > Any advice for a first timer??

Login/Join to Participate

FllowwBRONZE Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
I'm a staff spinner from Baltimore, Ohio. I've been spinning for a while now, and I'm about to light up for the first time. I'm stoked for it, but I was wondering if there's anything I should know before my first burn. Anybody??

-Flloww

Dylan_DukeGOLD Member
The Duke
170 posts

Posted:
Fire is HOT

:]

Violent delight, We'll live as if we die

FllowwBRONZE Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
lawl I'll keep that in mind... Trust me

David_Thomas1SILVER Member
journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
Any thoughts on spinning poi?

FllowwBRONZE Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I actually just picked it up about 2 months ago.

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
Not only is fire hot, it is also loud. I think that takes a little getting used to.

Otherwise just stick to the tricks you are comfortable with, people are impressed by smooth, flowing movement, the fact it is on fire is enough, you don't need to try and pull out tricks you aren't happy to perform.

Incase you have seperate practice and fire staffs, try and practice as much as possible with your fire staff as changes in length, weight or flex will give a different feel.

A few safety tips, think about your clothes, you don't want to get caught on loose clothing and definatly do not wear synthetics that will melt. If you have hair to worry about then either dampen it or wear a hat/bandana (again not made of synthetics)

Above all else though, enjoy it!

Good luck and let us know how you get on smile

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

Dylan_DukeGOLD Member
The Duke
170 posts

Posted:
I agree with every single word EmmCeeeeFF wrote.

The loudness will defiantly take you by surprise, it's itimidating as first. but once you get past that it's amazing, plus keep it simple and smooth.

Also, the clothing is a valid point. I play with fire with nothing but shorts on. Be careful with flamable items while using flames. But keep in mind you are flamable.

But have fun, goodluck. and keep us posted :]

Violent delight, We'll live as if we die

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
I love the sound of fire spinning past my head.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Remember that if you do get hit it's not gonna kill you or anything. The flaming head itself won't really do anything other than singe some hair and leave soot behind if you're not using coleman's. But look out for the hot metal at the end, that will give you small burns. And bad burns if it manages to get wrapped around you or something, but that will most likely not happen. I suggest wearing a dark colored (as to avoid soot stains) cotton hoodie, but not too baggy, so that you have some arm and hair protection. It will keep you feeling more safe.

Watch out for the jet engine sound. And MAKE VERY SURE!!! that this time of year there is not dry leaves around you. Rake them away or move to a better spot. Stay away from being under a tree with dry leaves. I suggest maybe a driveway or the street at night.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-Fire-Training-Fire-training-and-safety-1_2

Scrub up on this stuff before you do anything.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FllowwBRONZE Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
It was amazing. Truly a life changing experience. I'll post a video soon as I can smile Thanks for all the help.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah, once you start spinning fire, your life has then just changed forever smile And you're every welcome.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Congrats - it's something you'll never forget smile

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

Fyrirrekstranger
4 posts

Posted:
It will solve all your problems hehe:) And when things get complicated...or move wise too. You can watch older videos and realize...wow I miss doing those things I used to do:)

It will also change how you dance! if you didn't dance already

smile

Yes they are mittens!