Sharnie_BabieBRONZE Member
The Cat's Pajamas and the Bees Knee's Love Child
19 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone,
Seeing thought it is coming into the warmer months in Melbourne I was wondering if there is any regular gatherings in Melbourne? Where I can learn some new tricks, maybe teach some tricks I know and just simply hang out with some fellow twirlers.
Cheers,
Sharnie grin

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
Hi Sharnie
There is the Melbourne Sunday meet (i just bumped the thread in events) but I haven't been on here in a very long time so I'm hoping its still happening!
If not, shoot me a pm and we can make it happen!
Claire

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

19 posts

Posted:
Hey Claire,
Yeah Ive been looking through the threads and Ive seen a few but there is heaps from a few years ago the only one I found that was recent was for Wednesdays and it said to be announced once the weather was hotter so don't know :-s But defiantly up for starting something =D Oh and Im only very very new on hop and havent worked out how to pm yet hehehe but i'll get there one day
cheers sharnie =D

19 posts

Posted:
hahaha oh and just found what you were talking about hehehe see what I mean by new to here tongue2

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
its not a regular thing but in January theres going to be the Melbourne Spinfestival run by Chris Carlos
https://www.spinfestival.com/

There used to be sunday meets under the art centre but haven't seen anyone there for awhile, but sometimes all it take is one person suggesting something

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

19 posts

Posted:
Yeah I think it might be time to get some people together especially now its starting to get hot there is nothing like having a hot night where you can't sleep and spinning all night grin

Yeah I saw the spin fest looks like a great idea think I'm going to be going thats if i don't get the travel bug before then hahaha

Kerosene_FalconSILVER Member
fire twirly girly
46 posts

Posted:
yeah always fun to start something, just make sure you give clear directions of where you'll be, theres nothing worse than travelling into the city with all my stuff then not being able to find anyone
ooh travelling bug where you thinking of going?

Of course my horse is clumsy he has two left feet

19 posts

Posted:
Yeah thats very very true, it's just hard to think of a place in melb that could go and if it rains still like have cover can you think of anywhere??
well im heading up to confest for new years then maybe going to perth after that and then in feb there is $25 tickets on tiger to go to sydney so might go up there as well i think i might have gotten the travel bug a bit bad this time and i'm meant to be saving to go to Spain hahahaha

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Kerosene_Falconits not a regular thing but in January theres going to be the Melbourne Spinfestival run by Chris Carlos
https://www.spinfestival.com/

Hooray! I'm originally from Melboure, now in Newcastle where there's currently no active spinning group that I can find.

My god sister lives in Collingwood - 14-16 January, I'm there! grin

19 posts

Posted:
oh thats great it does look good.
I use to live up in Newie and there is a group of twirlers I think they meet out Jesmond way I can't remember how I found them I think there might be something through the uni that might be how I found them but yeah have a look hope that helps
cheers grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
How long since you were up here? There was an active group until about the end of 2008, I bought my first poi from one of them, but they seem to have split up and gone various non-spinning ways since. Uni's pretty much finished for the year now.

There are some hoopers who meet in town on Sundays, daytime only, no fire or led.

There was a drum / fire group last summer, with a few beginner staffers and myself, but the others involved aren't interested in starting that up again atm.
EDITED_BY: Jameth (1291583952)

19 posts

Posted:
Oh I use to live up there umm a year ago now
I never ended up catching up with them but they were always asking for people i just can't remember where i saw it which is no help sorry
The only place I can think of is yeah might have been the uni that i saw like an ad or something.
Is the group your talking about in 2008 use to catch up at nobby's beach ??

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Probably. There's a facebook page for a that used to meet at Nobbys, no activity for 2 years. I bought some glowpoi from a lass called Michelle, she said they had regular meets and to ring her. When I did they'd stopped, so I never got find out where they were meeting.

19 posts

Posted:
Oh thats not good fingers crossed you find something.
Oh and I finally remember where I saw it. There is poi lessons in newcastle somewhere on the hill and when I went to have a little look one day to see where it was I saw a flyer for people catching up maybe you could check that out. I think I found the lessons through the local paper.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
D'oh! I never even thought to look in the paper - I'm online so much I just bin it.

I'll keep an eye out once things start up again in the new year. Meanwhile I have some cheap airtickets to Melbourne and dibs on my godsister's spare bed - SpinFest for me! smile

19 posts

Posted:
yeah that will be awesome!!! by the looks of it I'll be in Perth when spinfest is on so I'm going to miss out frown you will have to let me know how it is and if its good I'll be there with bells on for the next one grin

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Will do. smile

beavismember
33 posts

Posted:
we have around one twirl a month out at lilydale still going strong after i started it over 5 years ago we have had over 50 people to some nights the best twirl i have had recently was at confest goin back for new years also this tuesday the 21st we are taking our crew to the st andrews night market gonna be a great night all are welcome burn around 8:30 im on spinfest as beavis wanna get the melbourne comunity back up and running we used to have 2 great nights a week been a while since i been to either of them but drop by now and then if im in the area and never see any one

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Hey Janeth,
Check out Carnivale Delight. A performance group which is an offshoot of the Lovelorne Living Party, they are small but lovely and would be willing to jam smile
https://www.myspace.com/firetheatre

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
The latest post on there is July 09, but I'll look into it further, once the festiving is over: thanks.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sharnie_Babieyeah that will be awesome!!! by the looks of it I'll be in Perth when spinfest is on so I'm going to miss out frown you will have to let me know how it is and if its good I'll be there with bells on for the next one grin

I thought it went very well. It was my first time at any sort of poi workshop / festival (I'm intermediate, entirely self taught from vids) - I had a blast.

The staff and other partcipants were friendly, the workshops helpful, with some clever gradations from simple to complex versions of the same moves, so the bloke who had never picked up a pair of poi before and the bloke doing antispin upward stalls and inversions all got something to work on.

If it's on again next year I plan on going. smile

HOP Newsletter