astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Joining the video craze I guess....

Anyway, here is my first offering. Note that it was pretty windy so this is quite sloppy. Also, the song is Afrikaans and very silly.
Towards the end is some negative space stuff I have been playing with. I have gotten better at it and I have more ideas to explore in that direction, but this is what I have on film. (Bluecat's Lost Leaves was a great inspiration for that part....)

Also, image quality is probably not what it should be, I am pretty new to all this....

Comments welcome.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smooth smile the Hamilton building spinning gave me some nice smiles - I like when spinners are in a happy funny mood rather tham glued to the spot with stonefaces...

only the camera is a bit way too far to the distance I reckon

you're in Jo'burgh ?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Where's the loft?? I came in her expecting a loft. I looked high, I looked low, yet still, no loft. is this some sort of false advertising or something ? Good thing you didn't promise boobs, or I'd be really steamed wink

All in all a very watchable video and an excellent first attempt. I agree that you were a little far from the camera, but your camera guy seemed to clue into that half way through the third section and zoomed in.

I'm liking the "jump onstage" idea at the start of that third section and loving the humorous approach in the second section clap

Good choice on the music, although I had no idea what the lyrics were about, any song featuring chickens just screams "FUN" which it looks like you were having performing.

I did find the trees/bushes moving around in the wind to be a bit of a distraction, but I got over it and I'd be challenged to describe your spinning as "sloppy"

Cheers

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Tom: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape.

Stout: tongue2 Glad that you liked the music. A rough and brief translation is that this sheep farmer refuses to eat chicken because it is a vegetable. When his wife persists in trying to feed him chicken, he attempts to divorce her. It loses a lot in translation. wink
Sadly there was nothing I could do about the trees blowing, except maybe cut them out by getting closer which I will do next time.

Thanks for the crits guys. Glad you enjoyed it. smile

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
laugh3 Yay for fun

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Can I maybe also suggest getting a tripod or something to lean camera on, or less shaky cameraperson?

Good choice of music and enjoyed Hamilton building also, for first part definitely again camera needs to zoom on you a bit

smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYyF2l1Sotk

Another attempt. Really should do more videos, but oh well.

Excuse the pretty horrible spinning, have not been practicing as much as I would have liked in the last couple months.
Hopefully the camera work is better than the last video, and, on the bright side, no wind.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I think you need heavier Poi..

nic vid tho,

ninja

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Very nicely done

With just a bit more effort you could have choreographed your spinning to that song, parts of the spinning/music almost matched up naturally.

cheers

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Unregistered: I used 80mm contact balls to make them. They could still be just a tiny bit heavier though, I agree.

Stout: Will give that a go soon. I was mostly looking at the length. Once I clear the exam tomorrow, I plan to do a bit more filming. smile