• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

johndhaive
GOLD Member since Jan 2009

johndhaive

Kebab Embalmer

Total posts: 316
Posted:Ok, I will be travelling back to Philippines next week and I'm bringing my 5 foot staff with me. What should I do? I should check it in because of it's length, right? Now, my problem is, should I wrap it with something or I'll just carry it in the airport like normal and check it in like a luggage? wonder

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

Delete Topic

Mynci
BRONZE Member since Apr 2005

Mynci

Macaque of all trades

Total posts: 8737
Posted:you would have to check it, it's too big for hand luggage wink

I would suggest a staff, fishing or didgeridoo bag to keep it safe and mark it as yours so they have something to attach the ticket to. You don't want to lose your stick smile

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Fire_Moose
SILVER Member since May 2007

Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded

Total posts: 3597
Posted:or PVC pipe with a couple end caps

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Delete

CalvinKlown

CalvinKlown

Eunathist

Total posts: 280
Posted:If it's a used firestaff you will of course have burnt off all fuel, and I've found lots of baking foil wrapped around the wicks keeps the smell at bay.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Delete

Fearpig
BRONZE Member since Sep 2003

Fearpig

member - tee hee "member"

Total posts: 279
Posted:Socks over the wicks and a lot of gaffa tape is enough to get through that pesky airport security. Oh and they are "circus props" not "fire staffs"... they get a bit twitchy if you mention the word "fire".

Then stick them in a bag, mine's a fishing rod bag but there's loads of different bags out there.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrdinger

Delete

johndhaive

johndhaive

Kebab Embalmer

Posted:thanks! but i've read something that they require additional fee for baggage like that, example is ski bags, golf bags, surfboard, bodyboards etc... have you guys encountered something like that? did you pay extra?

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:It depends on the airline I think - most allow you to check a piece of 'sporting equipment' as well as your regular baggage allowance without charging you, but some of the low cost airlines might charge for each piece.

I've checked skibags for free with United, Quantas, JAL and Air Canada (but not to the US since 9/11).

I'd check with the airline you're using.

Delete

johndhaive

johndhaive

Kebab Embalmer

Posted:yah i'm flying united to canada then PAL from there... so i might buy a bag or just wrap it with cardboard or a garbage plastic then wrap it again with duct tape.

Delete

UstuloTerra

stranger

Total posts: 19
Posted:I have traveled all over canada and the united states with my staff wrapped up in a blanket, never had a problem with air or ground travel.

Delete

johndhaive

johndhaive

Kebab Embalmer

Posted:my staff is wrapped and good to go but i cancelled my trip... will reschedule it next week. will wait for my goods to arrive.

Delete