Forums > Other Toys > The official HOP juggling "I just learnt a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well, seeing as we are starting to take over the

"Offical HOP "I just learnt a new move" thread", I thought we should contain this bit just to jugglerisng and the throwing and dropping of balls, clubs, rings and other miscellaneous juggling props.

Today I mothered learning 441.

I had a few throws of 531 but only 1 catch. I think my 5 is too high.

Note for the mods: I DEMAND on behalf of the jugglers on this site, as has been done with the aforementioned "Poi moves thread", that this one is made a sticky thread.

Otherwise its just favouritism really....

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
pat/jon

in siteswap, if you are juggling a 3 ball pattern all siteswaps will be divisible by three (ok, someone point out that i'm wrong!), so the 6223223 can't have worked cos 20 ain't divisible by three. all 5 ball patterns are divisible by 5 (ie. 81475) etc.

Not sure what the 5171 (=14) is u talk of, do u mean hi-lo shower, 7131?

try 801 for a real hard arse 3b siteswap!

Will

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
cheers hex,

you might want to direct that bit of advice to coleman, what with it being him who came up with it in the first place, my idea was 6223233; which averages okay but doesn't work.

cheers for pointing out mistake (cheeky bit of retrospective editing) yeah i did mean 7131.

my favourite siteswap of the moment has to be the 444033 mills, looks so perdy and seems like a good way of getting started on 4 ball mills. wouldn't mind 504 mills, guess i'll just have to go and learn it then :-)

Juggling isn't useless, It just isn't useful.

Neural Coding is Idiosyncratic:-)

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
What did I have to do with it?

Or were you just passing on random information?

biggrin

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
yes, that is correct john, your name is pretty random

'Do you like dry cerial? Hope so because we've drunk your milk. Yours Sincerely, Your Neighbourhood Milk Thief'

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Jon - u seem to be having a little trouble getting round this siteswap idea and with sync throws etc. so thought it might help a little!

Cole doesn't need any advice about siteswaps, just a little encouragement to juggle more at spitz and throw his 6 and 7s higher wink

He taught me a lot about siteswaps when i was learning

hug cole

no idea about any of your mills siteswaps, i'm not much into that.

(he says after just getting a very low 441 mills mess and starting to work on a 7531 mills mess)

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
yeah, i know i just love bieng cheeky.

hehehe, just tried doing the clawed Mill's mess, and wooh, and fun is that, i mean like propper super dooper amounts of fun. and clawed boston mess looks like the trippiest thing in the whole world :-)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
[Nx?] can do that.

Ive seen him.

smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
and now i can do back of the neck roll....

well once anyway, but woooooooohoooooooooo! YEAH! beerchug

been chasing that for about 4 months now, always the way with contact, gotta wait ages just to do one.

later

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
Back of the neck roll? As in the contact roll from shoulder to shoulder, if so that is hardcore extreme to the max my friend, please elaborate. so [nx?], you can do the clawed Boston mess? any tips?

:-)

EDITED_BY: Megafish (1101561264)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
tips, yeah, try clawed colloms for a while, then bostons will seem much easier.

and yeah, the contact roll, and its hardass.

woo! warm enough to juggle today! (im starting to like it when it rains, gennerally means its above 0degrees so i can juggle)

51 in flats, thoes is it gato flats that go up sideways are vertical at the top and come back down sideways.... hex knows what i mean.

left hand double backcrosses. still no continious tho frown

*goes back to practice some more*

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
i think you mean Toby Walker flats - i don't think i've seen Gatto do flats. But nice one anyway, you've been practicing more than me...

I got three clubs flats now
And doing slapbacks now, but only 3 or 4 at a time.

I got into three ball juggling again at the weekend, and i've got a wicked three ball stop and start again that you will love [Nx?]

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mr fish. - misunderstanding here methinks?
i didn't mean to sound preachy or get all 'school teacher' on you.
i was just tryin to be helpful - you didn't seem to get why your siteswaps weren't working so i tried to explain.
it didn't really matter that i was explaining why 6223223 didn't work when you were thinking about 6223233 - neither of them work.
one has an integer mean average and the other doesn't which you seemed to think made a difference.
so yes, i made the 'schoolboy error' of not noticing the difference between two invalid siteswaps shrug

i tried to suggest a bunch of valid ones and another way to get 'more swirlyness' but i'd already pissed you off by then it seems - if you tell me what i said that offended you, i will take it back.
i guess i was wrong to go wading in and type out detailed explanations when i wasn't sure what you were asking for - especially as i'd obviously completely misunderstood you at some point.
i'm sorry, and i hope you got at least a little good out of my posts.
i might be in kent this coming weekend - will you be around to meet up for a juggle at all? smile

a general point for the masses: the average rule does not tell you if a siteswap works or not.
example: two siteswap suggestions - 531 and 135.
they both have a mean average of 3 but 531 can be juggled and 135 can't.

so back on topic then? smile

7b flash is getting more and more repeatable - i did it within about 5 minutes last night smile

new 423 with 4's as drop->foot->hand but it only works on the right foot at the moment.

clawed 423 with the 2's grabbed as well kicks arse but is very, very hard - can be extended a la bill berry with 62223 eek

tommy, those 'toby walker flats' are wallplane half's - a shower like that kicks arse.
got a video of that mr walker doing 53 as wallplane half/singles into 71 with the 7's as wallplane halfs.
mmmmmmm smile

i can smell 4b mills now - its that close i swear. [that's what i said about 6 months ago i think...]

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"i might be"
umm

"...will be..."
wink

kiss
hug

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Cole can you bring along my Anthony "no style" Gatto video tomorrow please. And the Toby Walker DVD if u still fancy lending it to me, and any other videos/dvds that i've not seen for that matter!!

new stuff sounds good cole. looks fwd to seeing it.

Back to work...

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
Dear coleman,

Thanks for setting me straight, must at this point appologise for being far to eager to argue (for no reason) with people on internet forums, i just cant stand being lectured (or feeling like i'm being lectured) about stuff that i understand and regularly lecture to other people about (given that i seem to be the only juggler in kent who actually knows anything about it), i'm also far to eager to rush into a conversation without having propperly thinking about what i'm going to say, which often results in muchos misunderstanding. The arguement was helpful though, i now have a much better understanding of rubensteins and its (possible) extentions. Granted though from the looks of it you seem to know much for than me; 7 ball flash? how many years of juggling has it taken to produce that? how long do ya reckon its gonna take to work? i still find it hard to believe that 5 is actually possible let alone 7. Oh yeah, 4 ball mills, have you tried 444033, its getting me closer to 4 ball MM, however i realised earlier today that i don't actually ever juggle 4 balls appart from trying MM, and that i can't even do a backwards fountain, Ggrr.., back to practicing...

Yeah, come down to kent at the weekend and i'll find time to juggle, i'll bring some tea and biscuits, and we can have a propper chat about technical gibberish biggrin
EDITED_BY: Megafish (1101749979)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll see you both at the weekend at mine then.

smile

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
sounds like a plan:-)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
hey pat i've seen someone do 7b mills mess.

7b takes about a year to get the pattern solid. After that it's just pracitice, normally another year to get comfortable with it, which is where i am now smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
yeah, but how many years did it take to get to the point that 7 balls actually seemed possible, i've been juggling for just under a year and 5 still seems like a total impossiblity. 7 ball mills eek that just silly (how big a smile did he have on his face whilst he was doing it?

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
well this guy has also flashed twelve, and can juggle 9.

No idea how long it took him to learn it, but he can do every other bloody thing, so probably not that long.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
wouldn't be ben beaver your talking about here would it?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
will, i'm not gonna be at spitz tonight - i'm off to the hanger for some clean and warm indoor space tongue
i'm taking a video camera and tripod too so i might even get some decent footage (as it stands i have no juggling footage of me standing up nor any taken outside of my living room).
will bring vids and stuff next week hug

pat - haven't tried 444033 mess but will have a go this evening.
i can do one of the 441 mills (the one with the normal '1') but don't like the others cos i get confused trying to do 1's with my arms crossed.
so far in my 4b mills quest i have tried learning cross arm (inverse) fountains, half mills and windmills.
none of them work much better than mills itself - i have the feeling that they'll all become solid at almost the same time.
which will be nice i guess.

how long for me to get to a 7b flash? i've been juggling just over 2 years now and flashed 7 for the first time really recently.
i reckon i'll qualify it by about this time next year!
i'll look forward to that cup of tea on saturday (but if we talk in numbers for the whole afternoon my girlfriend may end up kicking our asses for being geeks so i reckon we should just juggle wink).

and yeah 7b mills man would have to be ben beaver i'd say - that guy is a machine.

juggle

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"but if we talk in numbers for the whole afternoon my girlfriend may end up kicking our asses for being geeks so i reckon we should just juggle"

I would probably do the same thing wink

and I would love to quickly interject with something I read in this thread:

Written by: Hexagonic

hey pat i've seen someone do 7b mills mess.

7b takes about a year to get the pattern solid. After that it's just pracitice, normally another year to get comfortable with it, which is where i am now

So is it not Will with the 7bt MM?

Or am I just reading what he said totally wrong, and that Patrick is not as stupid as I reckon wink hug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
bt is beat

b is ball

c is club

u is silly

i is happy ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
cheers cole.

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
oh and yes it was ben beever doing 7 ball mills mess.

i can only do 7 balls for about 50 catches.

and mills with 4balls, but i had a dream last night i could do five, but i'm sure it was real

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
fook.

Ok..
I read it wrong.

rolleyes

What about "MMSTD"

Mills Mess State Transition Diagram?

umm

:notsodumbasilook....honest:

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - mmstd is one of these type of things:

Code:

(Lr) <-> (Ll)

o o

(Ul) <-> (Ur)

(Rr) <-> (Rl)

i don't really get them yet.

which is why i still can't do time reverse mills.

though peace matt can do it and i'm sure he didn't study these things.

hrumpf.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
help no idea

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MegafishBRONZE Member
lurking...
208 posts

Posted:
how is that complicated?

you have two hands, right? you can cross them, right?

So that gives us the three capital letters;

U = Uncrossed
L = Left over right
R = Right over left

The little letters are which hand is about to throw (l = left, r = right)

best link i've found so far is this one, Introduction to MMSTD , it even does a good job of explaining about the whole, backwards and forward throws bit, (i.e. mills mess is reverse, forwards, forwards; backwards mills is forwards reverse, reverse)

I would explain further, but with out a white board and some markers its not gonna make much sense

Matt got backwards mills by doing the 3b windmill and putting the catches underneath instead of over the top (effectively making a backwards windmills [except on the other side]), since mills mess is the windmill being done on either side it makes sense that if you can do the windmill backwards you can do mills backwards, although it helps if you go for a 5bt first. good fun though, i've spent the last few weeks getting burkes to go backwards, with any luck the backwards rubensteins should turn up in a few months :-)

Page: ......