SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Since this is a kind of dance and this is an Expressive Movement section, I figured to put it in here.

I'm trying to learn to Melbourne Shuffle, I'm brand new to it and if anyone has any tips for me since I don't have a mirror to see my footwork in. I also am trying to learn jumpstyle but it seems a lot easier so far, but if there's any tips for that please go on smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
A smooth, buffed dancefloor *apply talc/baby powder if needed* is rule #1. So if you have hardwood flooring or can un-gummy some tile great, smooth pavement and treated decks also can work.

Rule #2 you need a good pair of flatfooted shoes (skate shoes or old skool adidas or Pumas) tend to be the most readily available that you can feel the floor and the soles aren't too gummy.

Final rule #3 when you get lost in it is the moment you are getting down and showing your skills, it WILL feel more natural than walking when you tap into it. grin

Note: I do not shuffle, but do resemble it at old-school mash-up indie events. The baseline to be comfortable in urban technique are universal, you cannot shuffle on carpet anymore than I could liquid lock with footwork or do new jack swing.

Video yourself and watch it, I know the pain of no mirrors, but the playback will help you just make sure to leave it running and forget it's on. It will give an accurate image of your essence. yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have one room in the house I could use, but I would have to load all my tutorial videos before disconnecting my laptop because the wireless adapter built into my laptop is only 11Mbps laugh3

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
when your learning the basics, i heard its helpful at first to hold onto a counter with your hands while you practice the beggining moves, so you can get a feel of the footwork before you are balanced enough to move your feet freely without holding onto something. im trying to learn to shuffle too, its a pain in the ass, but i wanna learn to shuffle while i spin haha smile

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Haha I just want to shuffle laugh3 Thanks a lot for the tip it should help smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile Had to look up what Melb Shuffle was.

Seems like a cross between gliding and sac'in...

(Sorry, I have no advice...)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

2,280 posts

Posted:
The table thing didn't help at all as it seems I can already to the running man smile I need to learn to glide now, more variations, getting better with arm movements and just overall looking better. Also I need some phat pants wink

787 posts

Posted:
If you can merge "the running man" with "line dancing" and "crip walk" with a glide or even moonwalk approach you will have it, an the table is your enemy.

Just like show jumping on a horse, the reins and the saddle are not there to aid you. You must find your center of gravity and work on moving with it! yes

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
lol sorry the table thing didnt help maybe thats why im not getting better at it tongue2 way to go on learning those moves dude!

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

2,280 posts

Posted:
What are line dancing and crip walk? lol I have no clue what you could possibly be talking about. Also there are some things that don't really need much practice at all. And that would be the spinning in place thing. There are two variations I know of that. One involves stomping and the other is just a spin.

And EoN, I'm not sure if you know what I mean by gliding. It's basically a really fast heel-toe motin that "shuffles" you in some direction and is one of the key elements of that gliding all over the place thing.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1286584319)

787 posts

Posted:
Sorry for the first video it tickles me, but here is some country "hip-hop" line dancing...

A more modern line dance, the booty call!

Now the crip walk and gliding tutorial...

Cwalk and clownstep in action (good feet shots!)

Now package it all neatly together and put that bad boy on fast forward! Those are the base moves for shuffling when it's broken down. grin
EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1286603721)
EDIT_REASON: smash all of the together and you can haz shuffle! :D

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
A few of those are what I need to learn. Mainly the gliding and the first things in the third video smile

787 posts

Posted:
You see how I linked all the concepts together? I couldn't help but posting the Country Hip-Hop, that is soooooo early 90s and couldn't handle posting a boot-scoot-boogie vid. grin

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Lol the country hip hop actually had some shuffling concepts in it.

zaiahStrobestranger
6 posts

Posted:
i know these people say use shoes.. but when I was learning the shuffle i started on a waxed wood floor with socks. just thought id add my two cents.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I find that a litte harder actually because i tend to slip. But right now I'm quite a bit better, but I'm revisiting the running man because somewhere along the line I started one-stepping it. And now I have to learn to do it faster and naturally.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi there Spinner,

Looking for tips on the Melbourne shuffle, ask a Melbourne boy.

Check out Melbourne Shuffle basics one & two.

And ArmourAll wink

Enjoy smile smile smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh here's something that's a wonderful source for anyone else.
https://www.melbshuffle.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Dylan_DukeGOLD Member
The Duke
170 posts

Posted:
Honestly.. when I was learning to shuffle, I started with jumping. Lot of variations of jumping and stomping. Saw some kids trying to shuffle, fell on my face in the club, in front of everyone. So, I did it again, and same result. My point is, the cool thing about shuffling is coming up with your own variation, and a way to do it. Maybe you wont get it perfectly, but you might make some other type of dance in the process? That, and just keep practicing. Me and friends would just go to the clubs and shuffle. Or be sitting in a couldasac (sp?) smoking a cigarettes having a converstaion, and you would see someone shuffle everynow and then. It's about just letting it take you away and doing what you feel you should do with it.

PS-for the records, the reason I fell on my face the first time is I wasn't in the correct state of mind.. cordination wasn't my thing... grin

Violent delight, We'll live as if we die

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hahaha yeah from shuffling I've also branched off into actually getting good at jumpstyle and am starting tecktonik. I could never dance before and now I love it grin And apparently none of my raver friends have seen jumpstyle in person here in Detroit. What a shame smirk