Forums > Social Chat > Just in case you didn't know .

Login/Join to Participate

monkeykatmember
13 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, dont want to make you all paranoid but I have been reading up on the latest bugging, spying and surveillance methoeds used by our supposed democratic leaders and their goons and was amazed to learn that 90% of all email,chat,mobile and SMS text messages are intercepted and processed to look for key words, so you can all imagine what they are looking for.Sydney now has 16 dogs working the beat on a 24 hour basis, sniffing out those supposed evil substance using fire twirlers and other state threats, like any open minded free thinking individuals and especially those that dress so.So although we are most likely not seen as a national security threat, anyone who communicates their tastes are quite likely to have information collected about them and their friends, family and so on.Happy Paranoia

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Hey monkeykat, it really wouldn`t surprise me! But it doesn`t concern me until it invades my happiness. Which it might!!!!Hope nothing comes of it, thanx for the warning------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm....Are you sure Monkeyboy? (it's a term of endearment - I know him folks)I find it very hard to believe that this is possible. Just the sheer volume of communication would make it impossible - surely!My bf works for an isp (a well known one). They do not monitor any e-mail or instant message communications. Without the permission of their customers (or at least the inclusion of a clause in the isp's terms of service) they would not be able to make these communications available to anyone, not even a government body.I think if this was happening, we would have heard about it. The civil libertarians would have a field day.Sceptical Finn smile

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
The system exists. There are two implementations - ECHELON is an international snooping network run by the governments of the USA, UK, NZ and Australia. Looks for keywords in email, phone calls, faxes. It's been in place in one form or another since the end of WW2. For more information there's an FAQ at the BBC website, published a couple of days ago after an EU inquiry advised everyone in Euprope to use encryption as a matter of routine:https://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1357000/1357513.stmCARNIVORE is a newer system being introduced in the USA. This one's email-only for the time being. BBC link for this one is at:https://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_831000/831111.stmTwo simple moves to reduce your vulnerability. Use strong encryption (PGP 128-bit for example) on all your emails. And if you want to swamp echelon a bit, use a footer on your emails with a bunch of nice ripe keywords. You know the sort of thing. Traditionally, International Jam Echelon Day is the 21st October.guns bombs assassinate plutonium hello the FBI kidnap invasionmikeyB

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
I think the UK is probably now the worst country in the world for electronic privacy. Last year on July 27, the UK Parliament approved the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. The bill received Royal Assent on July 28. It requires ISPs to facilitate wiretapping and makes users to disclose encryption keys or face jail. We love you Big Brother.Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
No fuckin' way! Big brother really is watching frown*Finn rushes off to read links* frown

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
so? how relevant is that to your daily life?unless you are shipping large amounts of drugs, or bombs or guns or ppl or whatever their searches will not even turn you over.so what if 'they' are collecting info on you? do you think 'they' give a shit about the three plants you are growing in your cupboard? You have been having information collected on you since you were born. Is this any different? not really. considering in Australia if you were born in the 80s or later you have your genetic code recorded (blood record taken from every child at birth) and stored, do you give a shit about your email? your consumption is recorded, your water usage is recorded, satellites record infrared signals from your home etc etc etc blah! Privacy is an illusion, at any time or another ppl are probably talking about you, thinking about you or something you have had an effect on etc etc etc. If someone looks at your bedroom window with a telescope, but you never find out, is your privacy level still the same? Yes - cuz you never found out, and privacy is all in your head.Statistically, your chances of keeping something secret aproach zero, so why bother changing your lifestyle? (unless you are really really silly, and deal black market plutonium via plain email smile)Paranoia is for ego-trippers winkJosh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I actually insert a bogus header in all my e-mail (where most people won't bother to look) which reads:X-mess-with-echelon: North Korean Nuclear WeaponsMaybe if everyone does it, we can overload it.PS: Thanks, Malcolm, for de-yellow-izing the reply page.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well, if they weren't listening to us before, they probably are now. =)

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
i've known this for a long time now, and i dont' really think it makes much difference anymore. at first when i found out about all this privacy stuff like a couple years ago, i was like all tripped out, but now it's like Josh said, privacy IS an illusion and we ALL have to live with it. just don't get into sumpthin' really messed up and we'll all be fine. besides, unless these people try pulln' some really freaky shit like in the matrix in that little white room i think were all fine. smile sometimes i still think i'm part of a big government experimet... shocked winkguns bombs assassinate plutonium hello the FBI kidnap invasion wink------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
bbc is very cool, they had shows (which i didnt c but when searching for info on found related information through them) on spontaneous human combustion (SHC), and crop circles.the gov't actually has a big building dedicated soley to spying on everyone. i can understand that national security is a risk, but still i'd prefer not to be monitored. for example, cricket phones monitor everything you say, it all gets run through some computer somewhere looking for key words and phrases.the following are a string of completely random phrases and words with no connection whatsoever to eachother and no significant reason for being stated: bomb president FBI soviet confidential top secret stealth technology biochemical destroy blow-up weapon drugs sell assassinate spy mission infiltrate government kill destroy destroy destroy DESTROYthe end.*kabloey*(ok, that was rather juvenile)