Fenris13BRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I want to upgrade my HoP portable contact Staff, I want to make it more suitable for contact, at the moment I always have to drag my heavy and long staff around which is not always possible.
I had the follering Ideas,
First I want to add some weight to the ends, for training I want to use socks with lead string and bicycle inner tube.
then adding longer grip,but I still don't know what to use.
Does anyone got any other ideas how to upgrade the staff, or general tips?

Thank you in advance.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
for contact I would suggest a single peice staff as they are generally straighter and that's the most important factor. (have you got a staff bag? makes transport a lot easier even on buses)

More grip is good, but be careful adding additional weight even though heavy is generally easier, balance is also very important, and if you alter the centre balance point of the staff by putting more weight on one end, or the same weight in a different place (remember physics - turning moments & levers at school) you'll find it more difficult to do general contact than if you'd left the weight as it was.

I find I can now do contact with almost any staff, the weight just helps to even out the little jumps from unsmooth contact, once you have a bit more practice it should be easier to do with a light stick. that being said you could always just increase your wick size, it's a good way to ensure the additional weight is fixed in the right place.

Good Luck smile

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fenris13BRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
I do have two really nice one piece contact Staffs and I know how important a balanced and straight staff is, I don't actually see any problem withe the staff from HoP, put together its not any different then any one piece staff.

My problem with the long staffs is that I have to ride 20km of bicycle everyday, I got a really nice bag for my staffs but it just does not work, it gets in the way, so an portable contact staff is the only way for me to take my staff with me.

I do have some ideas I will try now, if it works I post pictures, should be finished in a couple of hours.

If anyone else has some ideas don't be shy to tell me wink

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Have you tried taping your long staffs along the crossbar on your bike? Always worked for me. Unless you have a *really* thick staff you shoulsn't catch your legs on it. One piece staffs FTW.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.