Page:
PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone,

well we have one of these set up in one of our practise spaces at home. Its about 10 metres long, and there's a climbing rope set up about 6 foot above the line to help with developing balance. But that's about all we know!

Does anyone have any tips, or can point to any good resources for learning slackline?

I've found;

www.slackline.com
www.slackline.org.uk;

good tips so far;

https://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1186
Most of getting started is building ankle strength so you actually have the ability to steady the line. Just standing in one place while your legs shake and keeping your balance is the best way to do that. Tight lines seem to help out with this, too, because the line won't move as much and you'll be able to control it. Keep it up, and make sure your son gets his friends into it.

https://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=739
DO go out and by webbing, rather than using rope. 1inch tubular webbing is fine and you can get it from hardware stores or places that sell climbing gear.
DO start with your dominant foot � ie if you�re right handed, start with your right foot.
DO start with your legs TOGETHER. This means you�ve got one foot on the line and the inner edge/ankle is hard up against the inside of your other leg. This means your foot doesn�t wobble around so much and gives you a whole lot more confidence. You soon realise that the only way its gonna stop wobbling around is when you put all your weight over it, so just practice by standing with your legs together and just raising your �ground leg� an inch off the ground. Don�t worry about trying to put it on the line straight away.
DO keep your back straight. I had a tendency to lean forward, which put my weight over the leading foot too early, before I was properly balanced.
DO start taking steps. Moving forward seems to be easier than standing still.
DO start with shoes on, because it can be quite uncomfortable with them off. HOWEVER, after about a week of practice, I realised the main problem I was having was that when taking a step forward, if I didn�t put my foot dead centre on the line, it would roll off the line or throw me off balance by pivoting my ankle. I decided to try shoes off and immediately improved. I think this is because your feet are much softer, and tend to mould themselves around the line, so it�s more forgiving if you�re not dead centre. So, start with shoes on, but once you�re comfortable, try them off.

DON�T give up � give it at least two 45min sessions.
DON�T set your line up too high. Mine had a span of about 6m and I set it up 1m off the ground at each end. This was perfect because when all my weight was on it, the middle was about 3 inches off the ground so I could step (fall) down easily, and it only came to mid-thigh when my weight was off it � just below the critical point if you ever want kids, if you know what I mean guys.

https://www.slackline.org.uk/slacklineforum/viewtopic.php?t=183
When I teach beginners now, I reccomend starting on a line about 5-6 meters long. Start around the middle of the line, one person either side to support you. Feet parallel to the line. Bend your knees. Look straight ahead (focus on something no moving - like the big fat tree you tied your line to Smile ) Arms slightly above your head. Relax and find your balance. Don't try too hard to keep the line from moving - just follow it instead. Using arms and hips for balance.

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1236645357)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Try not too put too much weight on the line when you first get onto it. A bit like freemounting on a uni (if you have gotten that far).

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Me playing at the Bristol juggling convention.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

Chris_Lu1DIAMOND Member
Flow Artist
67 posts

Posted:
Using a football/soccer goal and rigging a line between the posts is a very easy way to start and get you used to standing/walking without having to get on again and again.

Shorter line don't always mean less stretch. It depends on your webbing, moisture, tightness, etc. It's better to start on a longer tighter line to avoid too much pitch in the line.

To get a slackline tighter doesn't require fancy equipment or more strength, just wrap your tightening end around carabiners in a pulley lever system can easily have a 120 lb / 55 kg person dip less than 1 ft / 30 cm on a 8 ft / 2.5 m line.

Pyrolific provided almost all the tips I can think of. For an added challenge start trying to do slackline yoga!

Good luck and I wish you all the best of luck.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I keep forgetting to organise myself one of these.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Trybal WolfSILVER Member
Wolf Furry
517 posts

Posted:
Tried slackline for the first time yesterday. I am hooked.

Friday, I'm buying one.

I'd rather die on paws, than live on feet.

Page: