Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > stalls to horizontal planes

Login/Join to Participate

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
Especially in flowery patters. anyone know any drills i can do to get these? I saw someone doing a lot of them at decom and it's still a lot over my head frown

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Well, with each hand practice horizontal stalls between the point in front of you, and the point off to the side of the hand holding the poi. These are the only points your muscle memory really needs. Then practice any stalls from vertical planes that put your poi pointing horizontally; horizontal stalls from butterfly or split same that put one poi at each side of you, horizontal stalls from split time butterfly or together-same that put them both to one side, etc. Also a good pair of stalls to know are in towards your chest or out in front of you from a CAP or some such. These stalls get you into horizontal plane, and the first ones I mention help you change timing and direction, and feel out your flowers, in floor plane. Try learning them all one hand at a time at first (horizontally stall then pull into a floor plane spin; then try to stall it on the floor plane) then try to do two-handed stuff.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
try starting from pendulum stalls, (arms out and stalling towards yourself), then pulling those into floor plane flowers. you'll get a basic feel for the plane shift. once that's comfortable, move on to the wall plane flowers to floor plane flowers. it'll still change planes at the same point.

if you're still unfamiliar with plane changing in general, i'd recommend starting with simpler down stalls and pulling them into other planes, (front plane > side plane > floor plane > etc)

...plane plane plane!

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDXPNUBJZs&feature=related

is a vid I made... its followed on by a plane changes tutorial as well. Mew mew mew.

hug

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
So, Plane shifts -
Flower type plane shifts generally rely on a Octahedron. That means you would have 4 points in each plane where you can easily shift planes. A nice drill for plane shifts is to go back and forth between 2 points, which would really improve your stalls in these points.

Then I think trying to go back and forth between 3 points is another good exercise. If you look at the picture I attached above, there are 8 different triangles making up the Octahedron, if you try going back and forth between the 3 points making them up, you'll get good at controlling your plane shifts in each of these areas.
This should give you a lot of control with your plane shifting, so you should try creating some combinations.

Good luck smile

Poiboy.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Drex also made a nice tutorial about this recently-