Forums > Social Chat > Has anyone ever been robbed while doing poi?

Login/Join to Participate

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
just a question. Inquireing minds want to know if you or someone you know has ever been robbed while doing poi?

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

Xtremely Flameablemember
95 posts

Posted:
Thats a very weird question but I do know a friend who has had it happen to him. To interested in swinging poi to be paying attention to his place.

When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Luckily in our troupe (as far as I know)we have never been the victims of a robbery while doing poi.

When we perform we make sure that there is ALWAYS someone standing over our stuff and keeping people from running off with our equipment.

When we practice most of the time we don't really have anything to watch because we are usually practicing with our poi,staff,etc.

I bring my "box o fire" to practice though and set that down somewhere near me and keep a close eye on it to make sure nobody gets too close to it. If I feel somebody is too close to my box I will go and move it.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I've been robbed while spinning.
I was off in my own little world at Reclaim the Beach - as the tide went out and more people arrived, everyone spinning fire had to move further and further down the beach to keep away from the crowds, so I ended up a fair way from my bag.

When I eventually went to get something from it, I discovered it was missing.
Luckily, it turned up just round the corner.
Not so luckily, everything had been emptied out, some stuff had been nicked, some stuff (including a non-replaceable set of poi) had been ripped up, but everything they left was pissed all over.

Unsurprisingly, I look after my stuff a bit more now.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
While busking one night, I had a drunk/stoned bum stumble up to my 'donations' box and grab a fistful of coins and notes and then stumble off.

It was the first time it had ever happened to me, and i was a bit shocked about what to do.

Then I saw about a dozen guys from the audience with angry looks on their faces start to move towards him. Images of him getting the sh*t kicked out him flashed through my horrified mind!

I immediately stopped performing and told everyone "just let him go, he obviously needs the money more than i do, there no reason for you guys or him to get hurt tonight, aye?"

I had to repeat myself to a couple of guys who weren't so keen on giving up the chase (the drunk guy wasn't moving too fast so he was still in plain view).

I turned then to the sound of money being piled into my donations box by all the other onlookers!

A quick glance was enough to see that I had made just been given 10 times the amount the bum had actually stolen in the first place.

And they say it doesn’t pay to be nice!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Now that has to be one of the coolest poi stories i have yet to here!

cheer's,bottom's up and damn those beer goggles when u wake up next to the ugly chick!

-Albert Einstein-

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i had my bag stolen whilst spinning fire at a festival last saturday night. Some dodgy looking guys were eyeing up my digital camera and asking me how much it was worth and stuff, then half an hour later my bag got nicked. Thankfully my camera was round a friends neck at the time and my fone and wallet were in my pockets, but they got away with my favourite pair of trousers, a fuel flask, a camera bag and various other things, my housekeys included.

To my sheer delight there was no identifcation in the bag so my housekeys got dumped on the other side of the festival and got handed into lost property. If i hadn't have gotten them back i would have had to have got 3 main door locks changed, which would have been really expensive.

From now on i'm gonna be extremely careful what i take out ith me when i'm spinning. I always leave my bag with friends, but when they are drunk/stoned its easy for someone to walk off with it. Top advice is to not take keys, hide your door key somewhere good in the garden if no one is in (ie in a jar that is burried). Empty your wallet of all non essential things and keep it and your fone etc on you at all times, even whilst spinning. I'd rather have my wallet nicked with one cc in it than a load, my national insurance card, etc etc

It seems not everyone loves my spinning

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I realy don't care if any one is good or not. If you have enough intrest to try something new and stick to your gun's about it "especialy poi".Then
you are a better person for it no matter what any one say's! any way's poi isn't a competion unless your in one.

-Albert Einstein-

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hee hee hee, that's not a poi story, Virtua Trancer, its a STAFF story!!!!

(Gleefully happy at having hijacked a poi thread again)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Gandhi Ganjamastermember
299 posts

Posted:
not robbed but had drugs dropped into my waterflask. that f*'%$§ sucked !
NEVER EVER leave anything unattended!!

Why?

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I haven't been robbed either, but I shudder to think of how much stuff I've just plain forgotten at poi gatherings 'cause I'm off in my own little world the whole time...
Non-Https Image Link