Forums > Technical Discussion > burning chemicals vs. stainless steel

Login/Join to Participate

Flow DNAGOLD Member
Destroyer of ceiling light fixtures
433 posts

Posted:
Hey HoPpers

I'm planning on getting myself a couple of the fire swords from here at the HoP shop. I was thinking it would be cool to use the tribal neon flame dyes to make one sword green and one red. It would look so awesome!

I was wondering if anyone has done this. The swords are made from stainless steel, which is supposed to be, well, stainless, but it can't be completely invulnerable to corrosion. Chlorides can supposedly corrode stainless steel, and setting it on fire can't be good either.

I'm thinking it should be ok for at least a reasonable amount of burns. If I can do a bunch of shows without them falling apart I'll still be fairly happy. In some of the photos on the product page there's a guy wielding a sword with green flame, so this also leads me to think it should be ok. I just thought I'd ask around.

Has anyone tried using coloured flames on stainless steel much? How does it hold up?

Thanks

EDITED_BY: doubleFlameHelix (1287655832)

Ask me about flow, and prepare to listen for the rest of your life, or tell me to stop talking eventually...

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
My question has been answered elsewhere. Apparently stainless steel holds up pretty well against burning chemicals. If it did corrode it would do this around the welding points.

If anyone disagrees feel free to post something here.

Ask me about flow, and prepare to listen for the rest of your life, or tell me to stop talking eventually...

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
It tends to do it to areas where stress is applied, such as the twisting/closing part on a quicklink, or the rubbing parts between chain bits.

This statement is false...?

Flow DNAGOLD Member
433 posts

Posted:
Yeh ok.
Chris from product support at HoP tells me he's been using swords with flame dye for a while now and hasn't had any issues. I've ordered all my stuff now, so I guess I'll find out for myself.

It's gonna be fun. :-D