Forums > Social Chat > Another one for you....

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What do you feel is the difference between skill and talent? Not just in poi but in any area of life.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
As I see it, skill comes with practice, it's what you get when you take a technique and hone it, taking off the rough edges, learning its little quirks. So several years of guitar lessons and practice can give you a lot of skill. But I know some people who have amazing technique but all the soul of a toaster when they play.Talent is what you're born with. Luck of the draw, inherent, can't be developed. Natural feel for something, perhaps. I know a couple of people who have not only skill, but also a talent for guitar. And 20 years of practice couldn't make my fingers sing melodies like these people. mikeyB

EyeStormmember
54 posts

Posted:
Skills and talent work hand in hand. I have some visual arts talents, but before I started taking high school art classes, I was never able to make much use of them. Just my $0.03 (CAN)

((m/)) --==EyeStorm==--

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
talent enables you to develope skills faster...basic skilss any way."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I suppose it's what kind of talent we're talking about. Some kids I know have a talent for picking up moves fast. Some have a talent for creating new moves and putting old moves together in ingenious ways. The former can spin like a bad-ass, but doesn't offer anything new. The latter may take more time to develop their skills, but in the end has their own unique approach to offer.Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Talent is potential Skill.If oyu are totally without talent, you will never do anything new even if you try really hard.If you are full of talent, but zero dicipline, you wont go far either.If you have Talent and dicipline, you will go further than someone with no talent and dicipline etc etcJoshIMHO.Josh

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Drat.everything I was gonna say has already been said. bummer. well I agree w/ just about all of the above statements

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...