[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
I'm interested in this prop, but have no idea what properties
are good for practising(according to body wight, size etc.).

Which diameter of the wheel?
Which diameter of the tube ?
Which material ?
Where to buy?

any sugestions,

ninja

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
No clue, however I might know someone who does. This is an extremely rare prop, but I hear that a demihooper who goes by olive oyl just got one. U can find her via facebook or youtube. The best of luck to u!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Also, it's expensive from what I've seen.

Expensive the way a good unicycle is more expensive than a good bicycle.

I've seen $700 - $1200 US dollars for 1 depending on height and weight (of person).

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Big Cyr's - Slower and 'easier'
Small Cyr's - Faster, less time to make mistakes.

However, depends on what style you want to do it? There's no simple guide - it completely depends on what you want.

My recommondation is to try out some other people's and see what you prefer.

I think a wheel that is a little bigger than you are tall is a good rough estimate.

Also, you need to think where you can practise, what coating you want on your wheel... how many sections it comes in...

I think on average £1000 for a cyr. You can buy a cheap one online from Firetoys but it's not fantastic. There's a guy who makes them who flits between Canada and Germany - I don't have his details to hand but PM me if you're interested. Other than that, i'm unsure where you could buy it.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Roue cyr's come in different sizes and thicknesses and metals.

Aluminium or steel...

if they're steel the diameter of the tube is generally thinner, as steel is stronger. My one is ali and the tube is about the same thickness as scaffolding tube.

You want a 5/6 section roue, as 3 is too little. The sections are too big to fit in any normal bag.

finally as to height, daniel cyr would say that (I think) the internal diameter be your height plus your fist, plus a couple of centimeters. But yeah different heights are good for different things, but that the height that's averagely good for stuff.

Like big roue good for the waltz and cartwheels I think, small roue, good for coin spin. That's what I seem to recall.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

filchyboystranger
5 posts

Posted:
The price of the roue cyr can be anywhere from about $1000 to $2000 depending on the craftsman you purchase it from. High end craftsman such as those whom work directly with big cirque such as Cirque du Soleil can charge up to 2000 for a wheel. It is not really the case that the price depends on the height and weight of the person whom will use the prop. Although it does require more material to build a larger roue cyr, or simple wheel, the basic cost of a wheel is the amount of labor it takes to build one. Not so much the materials. And the labor is roughly the same wether you are building a wheel for a 13 year old whom is 4'10" or a 50 year old whom is 6'6".

filchyboystranger
5 posts

Posted:
Hi MCP! Long time no see. How goes your spinning these days? If I recall you spin on a single piece wheel with no PVC right? You coming back to Venice any time soon?

Simple wheels, the roue Cyr, are almost always made with a wheel of aluminum skinned in a PVC. The wheel itself can be broken down into 3 or 5 piece sections. (Generally best to keep them in odd numbers of pieces as even numbers of pieces results in sections lining up on top of each other - which could result in a weaker wheel.

You are right - a 5 piece wheel is generally better and more professional as the sections are going to be a better size for doing things like flying on a plane or putting the broken down wheel in your trunk for transport.

The roue Cyr is indeed your height, either based on a barefoot (if that's how you prefer to spin) or with a closed toed shoe (if that's how you prefer to spin) and the size of your fist. As a general rule most people simply add a set number like 3 or 4 inches to your height to get the size of the wheel. It is actually much harder to do any trick on the wheel if it is substantially taller than that or shorter than that. Certainly I can spin on wheels that are 3 feet high, I am almost 6', but penny drops (coin spins) are definitely much more difficult to do the smaller the wheel.

I was the one whom quoted that from Daniel Cyr right? Been so long since you came to visit.

filchyboystranger
5 posts

Posted:
I build quality hand crafted roue Cyr wheels. My prices are lower than anyone else in the market. I have been spinning and building wheels for years. I answered a bunch of your questions below in this thread. I have just set up an online store at this address:

Brachiator Athletics - Simple Wheels, Monkey Wheels, & Flooring Wheels

If you have any further questions let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
I've been interested in these for a few months now, but have found very little information on them. What kind of a coating would I need if I wanted to use it outside? Like on grass or cement?

Question everything.

filchyboystranger
5 posts

Posted:
The wheel is skinned with PVC. The thickness of the PVC determines how long you can spin on a rough surface like concrete before the skin gets worn down. I hope this helps.

adeathlyauraGOLD Member
The Poi Spinning Undead
173 posts

Posted:
It helps, thank you. I have one more question though. How do you go about replacing this skin when it does get worn down? Is it easy to replace on your own? I would hate to get one of these and be unable to repair it when the time comes. There is no one near me whom works with Roue Cyr's.

Question everything.

Nicholas ॐ WhartonBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
This should really help you on your way. I am researching the same prop, and found this most helpful pdf. It has all the info you will need.

https://www.fedec.eu/datas/files/fedec_cyrwheelmanual_en_2011.pdf