Forums > Videos > Advanced Move Identification Please

Login/Join to Participate

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Alright, as much as I avoid the scary land of tech poi here is my attempt at some different things. I have butchered many moves like my attempt at hybrids and every time I try to 1.5 I think it becomes a wrong/inverted weave. Please tell me everything I manage to pull off, it's name, and what I'm near doing but screw up. I have a hard time telling the advanced stuff apart in my memory and it's all over my head, but want to give an effort none the less. help

Here goes! redface

P.S. Never mind me mouthing the Rollins Band songs blaring in my headphones. It was helping me hold my composure as silly as it looks, and helping me grit my teeth and stay in the fight.

EDITED_BY: EpitomeOfNovice (1285960066)

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure what a wrong/inverted weave is, but I didn't see any 1.5's or... is it not 1.5.... silly names.. heh

I'm rather bad with names or moves, so I'll say this, relax more. =P ^_^ and keep up the good work.

787 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble finding internet examples but the wrong weave and other inversions are on encyclopoidia 2. Here is a sort hint at it [Old link]

You cannot relax and do hard work... Okay I cannot relax and do hard work! LOL tongue2

Tech poi is very uncomfortable and clearing my body is really taxing (no wonder it's a male dominated genre) so until it's second nature and doesn't go against every ounce of dance training, I'll be gritting my teeth through the pain... grin

I'm gonna keep pushing because I'm getting complacent in the basics and no you did not see a 1.5, you did see what my brain does when it attempts to replicate a 1.5 which is the complete inverted reverse of a 3 beat weave when my hands relay the signal (hope that wasn't too much to follow). BTW until I film myself I have no idea what I have done. I have no mirrors and no friends in person who spin at this level and they have several years of experience.

This is the tough part of learning, like fumbling your way through a city with detours and mapquest lied to you while your GPS has another plan conflicting with the street view in real time! laugh3

Thanks much though! smile *poi brings out my inner jock*

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, Ok, I gotcha, yeah you did some of that.

I like your learning analogy, heh.

Yeah, I hear you I mean... I'm not very competant with sexy smooth dancey poi spinning, I think mainly because I'm a juggler first. I never learned flow, I just learn tricks. Trying to work on that though...

I think what helps me is mirrors, or some sort of reflective surface, so I can watch myself while I spin. Recently I have run out of mirrors so I rely on friends to tell me when something looks right/wrong/good/bad/impossible... etc etc. =)

P.S. I see your little "Location" doohickey under your name says delaware, if you have spare time (not sure how far the drive would be) there is a juggling fest over in Philly (appropriately called Philly Fest) that I plan on being at, juggling, spinning, and chilling with cool folks.

Rock On! ^_^

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
this is a good start! you had some nice air wraps in there. and i can see you're starting to see the forest for the trees.

tech poi is all about breaking poi "moves" apart into their most basic pieces, and then putting those pieces back together in as many ways as possible. if you really want to get into tech poi, don't focus on learning "moves" so much. you should really work on fundamentals. and i don't mean three beat weave. i mean spinning a circle. but be able to spin a circle in any position around your body: at your shoulder, at your hip, behind your head, in extension above, below, to the left, and right. get your planes really flat. and then practice stalls and pendulums the same way. do this one hand at a time. stand in front of a wall to make sure your planes are straight.

tech poi is not just about learning super advanced tricks. it's about exploration and discovery. start really looking at the paths the poi are tracing, the paths your hands are tracing, how they relate to each other, and how they relate to the position of your body.

oh, and use heavier poi and non-stretchy socks :-P

tytyBRONZE Member
Not as fireproof as he thinks
22 posts

Posted:
I like your isolated buzzsaw weave thingy you did at the start, and your air wraps are looking pretty comfortable. Also your wall plane flowers are almost there, they just need a little tidying up.

Your spiral wraps will unwrap better if you give them a bit of a flick in the right direction as they bounce off, rather than just letting them hit you and trying to pull your hands apart.

What is the move at 2:50? Looks kinda like a triquetra, but with a little isolated beat at the bottom on the extension arm. I like it.

Keep spinning and getting comfortable with you poi. The moves will tidy themselves up over time. Also, get some non-stretchy poi, they will help you alot with your stalls.

787 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, I have actually stretched the socks to beyond serviceable last night! LOL I don't know where to get heavier or non-stretchy sock poi, perhaps I need cone poi so avoid that issue of stretch?

e6: I don't have the tools to figure out breaking everything into pieces so to say but that exercise of one hand at a time spinning everywhere I do, how it looks I have no idea. When it's two hands I don't really know what I'm supposed to do, videos don't help because they aren't 3D and I can't see what is happening. I'm still trying to figure out "non-chase flowers" because I cannot see where the poi are in each body position on a 42 in. TV screen set to slow motion (2D learning is really hard for me let alone most videos having the camera face the person instead of look over from behind). Without an end goal or a puzzle to put together I have difficulty understanding what I'm to do next, like I can do a Cat's Eye with one hand but do not understand the application with 2 hands or how it works so I don't touch it. I'm still going to try, but it's hard lacking and instructor to memorize and replicate who says "Again!!!" until you're perfect.

tyty: The spiral wraps I'm only getting because I don't close my hands *cannot slap my hands together with no poi and not look* I'm not sure how to flick back when I don't know when their wrapped. I'm watching and waiting and kinda get lost I guess. At 2:50 what I was attempting is what ever the first hybrid on Encyclopoidia 2 is I believe it doesn't have a name but mentions unit circles? I'm not sure they don't name many things on that source. I thought it was just a "basic hybrid" because it's the first one? Is that right?

Stalling is hard because it's a myth, even with my chains even it's all push pull. The poi just don't stop, I think I need further explanation because the 90 degree angle move in to get a zero point thing does not work for me or the laws of gravity if I'm not mistaken. Yes I dropped Physics because it's not sensible back in school so I may have botched that explanation, but the only way I have a stall with any success is a push-pull to give that split second of weightlessness. If this is a bad thing to do or it's something that must be done no one talks about I'd be very interested to know the answer. yes

*should probably do a blog on this so I can explain while stalling the method I use*

~Rock on!~

tytyBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
If you're having trouble breaking down moves in your head, have a bit of a hunt around for a good tutorial where they break it down for you. Derek Faughn does some pretty good videos, he's quite good at breaking moves down and showing you from a few angles. There's also a few English guys who have videos on youtube if you can't find anything on here.

I have encyclopoidia 2 at home, I'll have to have a look at that hybrid...

Have you seen Nick Woolsey's stall video? It helped clear things up a bit for me. Non-stretchy poi will let you 'snap' your stalls a lot more, giving the illusion that they are stopping for a second. With stretchy poi you have to gradually slow them down into the stall to stop them bouncing around, and if you do most of you practice with stretchy poi, you will automatically do the
same when you switch to your chains.

Not sure how well I explained that, so I'll have another go:
You are correct, it is impossible to stall up in the air and hold it, even for a short time. Gravity will start bringing it back down as soon as it stops. The secret to a good stall however, is the contrast between that 'split second of weightlessness' and your regular spinning. I.e., you spin really fast, then suddenly stop for a split second, then spin really fast the other way - which won't work with stretchy poi.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
2:50 Looks like a pseudo-circular-arm-motion-thread-the-needle type move. Interesting.

I do find stalls with stretchy sock poi to be awkward sometimes also, I need to find a nice pair of non-stretchy sock poi and put some loops on em or something.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Mother_Nature's_Son has one of the best stall tuts I have seen actually.

Try swaying daisies on Youtube.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

tytyBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
The 'basic hybrid' at the start of the hybrids chapter in Encyclopoidia 2 is a triquetra. They do a little tutorial on it later on in the chapter, but they call it a 'Mercedes'. I think you're trying to add an extra beat with one hand.

Looks cool though, you should clean it up and call it a new move.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can do a "triquetra" with any number of anti-spun petals in one hand. I tend to do four.

Also interesting is making the extension a two-petal pro-spin flower.

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
A) What is a two-petal pro-spin flower?

B) How can a triquetra have four of anything?! =P

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
A) Two petal flower, not anti-spun? Not really sure how else to describe it....

B) Exactly why it is a stupid name and was in "" in my post. Three just seems to be common is all. wink

Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
A) Wouldn't a 2 petal flower just be a circle or cat eye?
Oh wait... is it that thing where it's basically an extension with a spin on opposing sides? (Top/bottom, left/right)

B) ^_^

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
A) That is it. grin

So that with an anti-spun flower is interesting, especially if you can get the petals to overlap.

This is what I am talking about (courtesy of the flower generator spreadsheet posted on here ages ago by someone else.).

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: aston (1287746157)
EDIT_REASON: link was wrong.

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
@EON: Slow down. Relax. Stop gritting your teeth. Stop fighting through anything. Just smile and have some fun. It doesnt matter what "moves" you did or didnt do. Be patient. And, yes, focus on your basics.

Focus on your timing. Focus on placing your petals in both spin and antispin flowers. Focus on spinning slowly. Stick with it.

For the rest of the thread
Ok, lets clarify a few things:

^^That picture^^
It is a Non-Polyrhythmic Antibrid. Specifically, its a 3:3 Spin vs. Antispin hybrid.

A Triquetra is just a name for a 3 petal antispin flower. Some people use it to describe the hybrid that is 2:1 Antispin vs Spin....Triquetra vs. Extension.

Hope that helps.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TankboyA Triquetra is just a name for a 3 petal antispin flower. Some people use it to describe the hybrid that is 2:1 Antispin vs Spin....Triquetra vs. Extension.

Hope that helps.

For the record, calling that hybrid a triquetra is what I was arguing against, hence the "". Definitely agree that I would not call the image I posted a triquetra by any means.

I am happy to call a three-petal anti-spun (AS) flower a triquetra, but adding an extension with the other poi changes what I call it. And like I said, I tend to do four-petal AS vs extension hybrids rather than three-petal AS vs extension hybrids which I would not be doing if I had not read some comments by MNS making much the same point as I was.