Forums > Videos > Epitome vs. SisterEleven Spinoff Voting

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Please vote for overall all which performance you think was better, all aspects of performing overall and which video is the most liked/entertaining is the idea. This is an extension of the spin-off thread and the first match up.

Epitome's Burn:

Sister Eleven's burn:

All hype, rankings, and details on match ups can be found here: [Old link]

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

787 posts

Posted:
Looks like polls are disabled... the option wasn't there.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Okay, I'll be the first one to chime in...

Epitome, you have made ENORMOUS strides since the last video I watched of you. Enormous! You have confidence, you dont look terrified and you are actually getting pretty handy with the poi. I'm super proud of you smile But as far as videos go, I have to give it to sister eleven. Overal better video and execution of tricks.

p.s. I want moonblaze poi now tongue2

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i think that sister eleven did better for a more rounded variety of tricks and lots o techiness but epitome did better as dancing goes though

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Flint_413GOLD Member
Fire Artist and Hooper
181 posts

Posted:
Agreed! ^

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
^^These two couldn't have put it better. Your progress is amazing. Also I joined RaveLinks as V.Krispy so see ya on there grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
EoN - Lack of Variety, Good Movement

S11 - Kinda Repetitive, Good Transitions

Overall - I give the win to S11. More tricks and patterns. Good competition.

And on a sidenote I feel like a lot of people get repetitive and don't do the best they cant with fire and/or on video. You forget half your tricks and just do what you can with that.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
I tend to do that on video. my absolute favorite video was my first big performance, because I was so into it because of all the people it's like the guy I told to tape me wasn't even there. By far my best video I think. And EoN it's amazing at this point that you can even compete with S11 and not have it be a blowout. Because back when the challenge was made you even admitted to it and still did it for fun, which is great. But bow that to me it was as close as it was is some amazing progression for you smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I think it definitely goes to show how much of a difference some dance can make, because if you moved anything like I do, you would have completely sucked. As it is, I definitely don't think my margin of victory was that big (as hard as I am on my spinning, you might have won if I was the sole judge :P). And you'll notice that I pretty much only score that victory on account of my technical range; if it had been a "who's a better poi dancer" match, I think I would have lost hands down. And I also agree with everyone that you've made huge strides the past few months.

Smurf: You're very generous, but as you'll see with my upcoming video, I'm just as repetitive without fire. I just don't really understand where sweet spot is between monotony and busy, break-neck tech-splosion. Most spinners I admire tend to have a fairly simple set of baseline moves, but I am not sure how to keep that interesting. But I'm getting OT...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
That can be quite tricky cant it. Variety is important to keep someone entertained.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

787 posts

Posted:
I think it was good to do this and I have to admit that fire does implement a challenge factor that really was very difficult and also a ton of motivation. I knew Sister Eleven was going to be nearly impossible to beat and was kinda shocked she challenged me, but I'm really happy I did it for the learning experience. The only way I would've had a prayer to win was to not be on grass, but bringing all I could under the conditions and getting the feedback is really awesome. All of you have been really encouraging and its really important to hear from other spinners of a higher skill level than mine. Being a dancer who is classically trained makes tech poi and more "statuesque" movements even more difficult with arms and other body positioning entering what is deemed "incorrect" so I hope to merge the two worlds even though I'm slow on learning poi moves. smile

Just being me and actually doing what I am with fire is amazing *is really surprised at the growing confidence and comfort*, in the future before I move I'd love to do a glow challenge with someone or even tails. I totally recommend to anyone shy to just do it for growth and the fun of friendly competition before it gets all burrrrr-chilly outside! yes

~Rock on!~

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Nice going guys.

I agree with the others. S11 gets the win, but EoN is not too far off. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
This is a great idea. I'll vote later.

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
We should have a tournament.

787 posts

Posted:
I think I might specify a dance glow challenge where the goal is a touch more clear to someone soon...

And I can film it alone on my terms! tongue2

To leave cookie cutter land and give my own opinion:

Personally I would have to give Sister Eleven the better video because she has editing software to do the sound, a better backdrop, and can work in her element with fire comfortably. She was able to turn the rest of the world of, concentrate, and do her thing without any visible flaws. That would be for better video, as far as performance and stage presence I have a very hard time focusing at spin group *have me do something alone in front of over 5 people up close and it happens*, but I personally think as an overall performer I would have to vote for myself with my understanding of those components and I feel that I am more well rounded, with the adequate lighting the amount of expressive movement would've been more clear. The amount of botched advanced tricks I did was in the name of leaving comfortable ground to avoid monotony and step up my game were a risk that deserves being struck down, slop is slop.

I know every component where my video was lacking and am a pretty tough self judge, if it is all about the video I clearly lost. If it's all about the poi vocabulary, duh... I lost! If it's all about performance and putting on a show "play the crowd", I won. Still 2 out of 3 goes to Sister Eleven! hug

I honestly am not sure of what the goal was or required criteria for victory, but if I don't have to be on grass or fire I won't handicap throws in the future! tongue2

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
We could for fun do judging on already made videos we have up and judge them just to see people's opinions on our spinning and any feedback they may have when a comparison is put up. I personally would love that for a couple of mine. On a couple of my videos people will say "oh that was cool" or "those poi are awesome," when I'm looking more for some constructive criticism. And would anyone want to challenge me? I'm not sure when I could put it up entirely but I wouldn't mid a challenge of a new video either smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
EoN: Just to elaborate on why I voted the way I did: You make a very valid point.

The thing is that we are all spinners, so technical skill is likely to count for more (maybe most) of whether a video is good (see: [Old link] and [Old link], although the situation is slightly different in this instance). If someone can dance on top of that, great.

This is why I said I felt it was pretty close. As a performance for (tech) spinners S11 is definitely ahead. As a performance in general, you may have the edge. Since it was me voting, I went S11. If some of my non-spinning friends voted it may well be that you would be well ahead, since the pure skill/difficulty of the moves would not be as much of a factor.

Long story short, it depends on who votes. Since you have a knowledgeable, (tech-oriented in taste?) spinning crowd doing the voting, that will be reflected in the results.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

787 posts

Posted:
Thanks Aston for the insight, I guess when I watch a video or even look at poi or any other tool being used in person a display of skill alone without anything else doesn't do it for me. The reasons most responded for watching a video on those threads aren't why I watch anything other than someone wants to show me something so I understand what they're talking about and I like to keep up with what friends are doing. All the other reasons listed I could care less about (I'm the same way with movies or TV shows, most of what is liked I don't really know why nor understand them on my own initiative).

All of the big name spinners are great and talented, but it all looks the same to me and I certainly don't want to mimic something that I don't feel or can throw myself into wholeheartedly. What makes them great to me is I can see they've thrown themselves into it and have created an empathic connection with their body language and facial gestures, but many times not enough for me to tell them apart. When I see someone go through the motions and I don't see that spark, or glimmer of their soul or simple style quality, I don't really know what to think and my attention isn't held for long. I think it's fine for practice and I grit my teeth and look like a puffer fish when I'm practicing, but a performance isn't flawlessly executing maneuvers or perhaps I have been dance indoctrinated that it's a big sign of missing the mark for performance. duck *loves her techy buddies, but don't get their noggins!*

It may sound strange, but if I spun or danced and it looked like anything I've seen done, I'd feel like a failure because it's not original and it's already been done. I suppose when I judge a video I'm looking at about 20 factors all worth small amounts of points and add it up (I still didn't win in my eyes there either LOL tongue2 ) but if it were like a dance battle and judged on those criteria I don't know how any tech spinner could win who doesn't bring more to the table than doing tricks well and lots of them. Even a noob b-boy can win a battle with charisma and stepping out from the pack if he could connect to the crowd. yes

I guess I don't know how I would judge two tech spinners because if it looks the same and doesn't have other factors than poi tricks... it's just the same, I guess... In the dance world if you keep it simple and go big or go hard with lots of expression or feeling that is way better than going complicated and not conveying themes or concepts through your expressions regardless of ability to do an advanced movement/combination. I think I get it now and that I may not get it all at the same time! blush

And yeah I kinda feel like the big weirdo here, thanks much for explaining the "play book". This would explain my tastes for the professionals, I like Fire Groove over much techier artists because they keep it interesting and produce quality "non-boring/confusing" videos I can more connect with. smile

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
People call me a techy spinner when I spin fire, but I honestly don't see anything more techy than an occasional hybris stall out of CAP or a btb stall. Or maybe a one handed spiral wrap if you count that. I can do stuff that people consider techy, but I don't use it in performance or just fire in general much.

787 posts

Posted:
SoD, I think a balance is most likely ideal. I have only buzzsawed with fire my last few burns because that second before I go into it I can hear the theme from Jaws start and my heart begins to race. The same happened with my first fire pendulum up there!

I would say that you are techy for the fire safety/comfort zone of those I know who have spun for years and I think it's great to balance. So much so I'm getting over that Jaws theme and taking leaps of faith, something I NEVER do in regular, practical life. Many of you have inspired me with your fire vids to have faith and trust in logic and *EEK!!!!* theory. grouphug

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok so both you and Smurf have challenged me. So I say we do a 3 way challenge!

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
hmm, now that is an interesting proposal. I do however see a problem with this. EoN has challenged you to a glow poi "dance" challenge. The glow is no prob I have flowlights, but I personally do not want dance to be the focus, but over all poi in general. Tech, dance, emotion. More or less freestyle, what ever you feel like spinning. So what may come of this??

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I could always do two. My biggest problem at the moment is I have to find my camera charger.

If anyone wants to challenge me to my glow rope dart at some time I have one now tongue2 just not fire yet.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Hehe I hardly play with my rope dart, and the weather just got bad here, so barely any outside time. And let me know when you get a camera, all I have to do is ask to borrow one from somebody. Getting what I like on film is the main problem lol.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
ugh I'm using old HoP glow balls and I remember why I hate them with a burning passion. I use it for 1 hour not banging it everywhere, just spinning, and it already turns off just fro the centrifugal force of a slow spin. Maybe me screwing with it like I used to will help -.-

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
pro series or the ones with the turn switch. I have both so I know a good bit about those. Also I swear I remember you talking about getting and having flowlights around here at some point in time.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah it's the pro series. I do have flowlights, but they're for my poi tongue2 and I still have a few replacements and a million broken turn knob ones.

787 posts

Posted:
Hey kiddies, just in from the tennis courts, nice and cool out there! I could handle a 3 way challenge that is about roundedness, I have the HoP balls and Flowlights but just found out one of my Love's is defective it just short circuits regardless of battery cry luckily I have others!

I have my point and shoot camera I do everything on so good weather is my only requirement. Tech is where I'm going to fall short as you both know, but I did just do much work on "moves that aren't moves" if that is variety... laugh3

Incorporating dance, emotion, ambiance, and all the general basics for well rounded performance would make we willing to roll the dice so to say. Smurf has priority so I'll leave it up to you guys. smile

~Rock on!~

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, so an all round competition? Sounds funerific. Considering work and school this may be a bit difficult to do, but I'll try to get a video grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I am down for and group competition. I just think it shouldn't have a specific frame of judgment. Just an in general kind of view.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok so in other word it's on general flow and show?

Page: