Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Choosing a Staff:Matrix Staff, Fibre3 or HoP Contact Staff

Login/Join to Participate

EddieGoJamBRONZE Member
A Dude
12 posts

Posted:
I'm going to buy a new staff. I'm trying to decide between:

The Matrix Contact Staff by threeworlds.com

https://www.threeworlds.com.au/store/products/Matrix-Contact-Fire-Staff-.html

The HoP Contact Staff

https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/HoP-Pro-Series-Full-Length-Contact-Staff-and-DVD

or the Fibre3

https://www.firetoys.co.uk/juggling/fibreglass_core_silicone_grip_fire_staff_150cm.html

I am looking for a extremely heavy staff. I've used them before and they feel like they stick to my body like glue. Anyone who owns or has used any of these staffs, please tell me about your experiences with them. If anyone feels like checking out the specs for these and telling a first time buyer what a good choice is, that would also be appreciated.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I've used a Fibre3 - it is heavy - over time I've come to favoured padded grip over silicone though

The other 2 both look decent though

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
The fibre3 staffs are brilliant, not used the others.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
I can't say anything but good things about my Trick Concepts contacts staff. I've never tried a better staff and I don't even like any of their other gear.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I've only ever made my own but that fibre3 looks bad ass and might be my next one.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
fibre 3 is heavy and hard to spin fast and if you're not smooth then the small amount of flex you get that prevents fixed bends occurring can cause it to bounce a little.

Also if you do spiral burnoffs or leave the silicon grip out in the sun it can come away from the staff leaviing the grip so it twists onthe staff causing hopping with steves (this is from about 3 years of using one) however they are so easy to do contact with. The longer length you get the more "flex" they have. I found 1.55m to be the best balance, down at 1.40m the flex is almost gone.

I did notice the matrix staffs are REALLY long, the smallest standard one is the same length as the longest fibre 3 contact. this probably explains why they called it a matrix staff, the length would make stuff on the shoulders and matrix's a lot easier (horizontal plane stuff) however looks like it would make stuff in the vertical plane harder as the ends would get very close to the ground, not ideal for behind the back entries.

I've never used a Hop contact staff so couldn't comment but the design looks pretty standard and sturdy. although with aluminium try not to drop on anything hard and protect it from getting bent as once bent roll moves become tricky.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
after hsving tried one last summer,the only staff I want is a Gora. they're close in weight to a Trick Concepts staff, but sexier somehow with those flower ends. Apparently they're also the same staff that Linda Farkas uses.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Rchi FlowsGOLD Member
Universal Head
2 posts

Posted:
I've only used the HOP contact staff, and I love it. I love the grip over any staff I've used. I have yet to have an issue with any bending, and I drop it all the time on concrete, stone etc. Hope this helps!