Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:

Curious - the antipsin flower only makes three circles. But
it does have 4 extreme positions...

~peace is a fire~

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
yup, from each position to the next
(i use the bits where the poi are pointing straight out from or straight in toward the centre as a reference)
they move three quarters of a circle

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - its the classic 'big circle with small circles counting problem'.

you need to count beats as they pass the arm (i.e. at the centre of the big circle) rather than at the bottoms of the little circles.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Aaah - I think this crucial bit of infomation will reveal
the secret of anti-spin flowers to world!!
ubbidea

So that means a non-anti-spin spun flower makes
5 circles.. (5/4 turn for each position)

~peace is a fire~

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep, 5 circles:

1 big one + 4 little ones

innit smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

micoBRONZE Member
freedom in chains
176 posts

Posted:
Right!

And so the anti-spin makes 4 little ones minus 1 big one (=3 circles)

biggrin

~peace is a fire~

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
by george i thnk he's got it...! wink wink wink

counting the total 'circles' in the pattern is counter-intuitive so instead, we count beats as the poi pass our arms.

when it comes to spinning goofy flowers (one arm normal spin, one arm antispin), this helps no end - otherwise you're trying to reconcile a 5 circle pattern with a 3 circle pattern and it all gets a bit hectic wherease counting beats from the centre leads to a 4 beat pattern with each arm ubbidea

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

wolfbro001SILVER Member
77 posts

Posted:
Finally! I find the crucial pieces of information to help clean up my antispin flowers! thanks guys smile

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Personally i'm working on somethin again I don't really know the name. It's a move you can do with basically almost anything that wraps. Instead of letting the poi head do the bounce back you let your arm take the knockback movement. This makes the poi almost stay still while the arm moves. This can actually look pretty cool with certain things, and it makes for some interesting spinning since most people just continue playing with the knockbacks it was more interesting for me to play with like fullarm knocbacks, I'm sure I can get it to flow nicely with some flowers.

Cheers ubbrollsmile

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
7 Beat BF weave ( 3:1 TTN on each side wink )

isolations (finally.. . .)

Starting with flowers, till recently i didnt think they had much of a point unless the viewer was seeing trails. wink

BTB waistwrap. (unless all waistwraps are btb..)
btb BF weave

that's all for now smile

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PoiToi

7 Beat BF weave ( 3:1 TTN on each side )

ive just started looking at these too, are you trying to change which hand is the faster on the crosover, or keep the same hand on 3 spins? i keep loosing it coming back to forward bf. how well are you doing with it?

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to tidy up my barell roll (very untidy)
I'm also working on a reverse 3beat weave under my leg in a squat thrust stance.
Finally a 5beat behind the back and it's a pig of a move to pull off.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
negative space arse catch. all will be revealed at falmouth.

russtafaristranger
16 posts

Posted:
backwards barrel rolls and antispin weaves - my left arm's still all over the place with both .
trying to get my 'wrong' wallplane stuff up to scratch as well, starting to need a lot of tricks that i never bothered to learn both ways frown
tied some balls in socks to my handles and been working on some contact stuff too, airwrap suicide is coming on a treat, and opposite arm suicide into same arm propeller (still cant do more than a few beats but getting there.
oh and last night i just figured out you can get a really nice orbital by pulling apart a barrel roll halfway through. lots of stuff to play with....

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sketch

ive just started looking at these too, are you trying to change which hand is the faster on the crosover, or keep the same hand on 3 spins? i keep loosing it coming back to forward bf. how well are you doing with it?

Its actually working out quite well.

FOrward for me is inward butterfly on the left, outward on the right, so on the left i do 3 spins with my left hand and on the right it's 3 with my right hand.. i hope that makes sense.
It helps to *try* and keep your hands as close to your sides as possible, if you let them get too far out it gets out of control. Though it seems that when you are first starting, having your hands farther away from your sides gives you a tiny bit more time to pull it off.

hope that helps! :-D

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I am...

Single Staff: Steve's and Angel Rolls (just started contact)
Double Staff: Crosses, throws, and left-handed fingerspinning (so it can keep up with my right hand).
Poi: Reverse 5-beat weave and general cleaning up of transitions etc, developing transitions from moves that I don't have many transitions from.
Juggling: 3-ball cascade. Still. Still learning.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
orbital throw..

I still havent' managed to pull it off more than 10 times in hundreds of goes, but basically the idea is:

orbital (I think this is the right term for an airwrap pulled tight) in front of you spinning anticlockwise (from your perspective)
throw both handles clockwise 180 degrees
catch, unwrap and continue spinning

the idea behind it is that when you catch the handles, it untangles the orbital as it has changed direction, plus you get a really nice effect with patterned socks from the two circles spinning opposite each other (big cirles of handles +small circle of orbital in centre)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
working on the straightjacket..........got 9 days to get it and this cat suggested inversions and i can't seem to understand the concept of inversions........respond back under thread entitled help the straight jacket is driving me insane......thank you

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol
Im not a cat!

This is a cat:

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Double parallel horizontal stalls...
From anti-spin side-to-side flowers.
Got one side, the other's a b'tard ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No Durbs..
The correct answer was "Mieow"

wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Arse

Wrong again

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

spudmonkeyGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
behind back buzzsaw iso got it the other day just needs cleaning up

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
trying to turn with hyperloops. works 50% of the time, i just cant get them to spin right all the time.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
trying to get TTN with both poi going the same direction, forwards butterfly hyperloops and some sort of "inside" weave which ill write about some more about when ive actually figured out what it is!

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
forward butterfly to backward butterfly with a hypperloop in between me and my mate cant even figure out how to do it but we decided it would be cool to try it

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

albotrossSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MikefromGlos

forward butterfly to backward butterfly with a hypperloop in between me and my mate cant even figure out how to do it but we decided it would be cool to try it

try doing a leg stal with one poi, so you have them both goin one way, do an air wrap in front of you, and then stall the other poi, so you end up with a backward butterfly.
i had a crack at air wraps, n hyper loops, n all i managed was to get pissed off. mite leave that one for a wile.

i made a mateor this week. took me a few goes, but this one seems to work good. i dont know anyone wat uses a meteor, so im working it all out from scratch. i used 9 mm cotton rope, with monky fists with golf balls in them. the whole things about 170 cm, but im thinking of trying one 150cm.
clap

The nite is nearly over, day is almost here. Romans 13:12

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yeah, 150 is better.

you can hyperloop from forwards to backwards bf realy easy, just catch them at the top, backwards to forwards is a bit more problematic, because forwards is not a natural direction to exit from, but totally possible.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Drawing music hehe

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I' m trying to go from a foward weave to corkscrew into a windmill. Shouldn't be too hard.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

Page: ......