Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
eca: Put a visual reference point in the middle of the poi and spin them around that. It may help. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

leospoiSILVER Member
Poi explorer
108 posts

Posted:
Speaking of pendulums, I've begun practicing again all the 1.5 hybrids and switching constantly between all their modes, timings, and direction with either hand doing something different, though I'm still not really sure if it's worth learning all but the basic stuff.

Also revisiting some cool floor plane tech now that I have a better understanding of how to link combos together.

I figured out a bunch of sideways stacks and playing with other OH stall combination moves.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I've actually plateaued myself for mow. But I have been cleaning up things in the counter-clockwise direction so it's not all bad. I also have my staffs.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
i'm working my hybrids .... isolation vs antispin mostly

@sister i've been trying to wibble for over a year now and am just about getting it so you need to be patient

I love thinking in circles

2,280 posts

Posted:
I need to work more on my isolation v. antispin hybrid hands together. That's quite a hard one to keep going.

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Getting more time to spin slowly. Pendulums, behind-the-back buzzsaw and more btb stuff... My stalls are still messy too. And my flowers arent turning out to be flowers. Which is kind of irritating. Need to see Nick Wooseley's video again methinks...

Irritated with spiral wraps... I can do them soooo freakin easily with glowsticks. But Ive got double finger loops and I can't seem to get it to flow right. Advice?

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Ascilith, this is a stalls video I made, and I think its a pretty effective method.

Whats the issue with your flowers exactly? I have a cateyes/flowers video which you could find from the related videos of that one, but I doubt its what you're after.

In reference to to the spiral wraps, I must ask if double finger loops are really what you'd most prefer to be using. Could you not change the grip to suit what is more comfortable for you?

Or, its probably about catching the momentum and releasing it again thats throwing you off, since the poi will be sitting in a different place on your hand as well as being a different weight. You might also consider that the length may be different. Try it holding the finger loops in your hand, perhaps and try to work out whats going wrong from there.

hug

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astoneca: Put a visual reference point in the middle of the poi and spin them around that. It may help. smile

I'm assuming you're talking about isolations. Are you saying something like put a piece of tape/sticker/button in the center of one of my poi and spinning round that? Or are you saying more to align the center of the poi with some foreign object and try to keep the two lined up?

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Most people just draw on their poi, but I think putting a couple of buttons around the centrepoint would be a great idea!

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ecaI'm assuming you're talking about isolations. Are you saying something like put a piece of tape/sticker/button in the center of one of my poi and spinning round that?

That. Sorry, was not entirely clear enough I guess.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
OH! Ascilith, aston mentioned in another thread about using heavier poi in order to better feel your flower placement! He's absolutely right! I should have thought of that when I initially responded to your post! Hooray for collaborative communities!

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Trying to get into Rastaxel's brain so I can grok how to play around with the stuff in his latest video...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yeah. That was a tasty video....

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: joffjki'm working my hybrids .... isolation vs antispin mostly

@sister i've been trying to wibble for over a year now and am just about getting it so you need to be patient

Yeah, I'm given to understand it's considered kind of an advanced club juggling technique to begin with. Nonetheless, having even just the premise at hand lets me do silly things like throw my poi, then smack it (in a semi-wibble fashion) and catch it. Looks very silly and amusing when I can pull it off.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AscilithIrritated with spiral wraps... I can do them soooo freakin easily with glowsticks. But Ive got double finger loops and I can't seem to get it to flow right. Advice?
Try putting your palms together. That works with the double loops easier. And there is a really good video he has for flowers. This one is the one that got me in control of my petals.

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Thanks everybody smile I'll check out some of the videos later, my computers being screwey. I think its partially the double finger loops. I might change to wrist loops. Cuz I usually put palms together. My main problem with wraps is that they keep sliding off the end before they hit my hands lol. I'll be buying some monkey fists sooner or later to solve the weight problem. I've got a pair of cathederals right now.

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
That happened to me for a while also, Ascilith. It just takes practice. You can even try doing spiral wraps off your wrist to overcompensate a bit, then you might be able to find the middle ground!

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
One trick that helped me was to kind of spread my fingers out so that my wrists were the narrowest part to wrap. Eventually you fix it with plane control instead, but this helped me wrangle it so I could play around with it before I got them well. Other than that, make sure that when your hands are together your grip comes out radially symmetric (some people try to do double loop spiral wraps the same way they would do sock spiral wraps, but the best hand arrangement depends on how you hold them.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Oh! You can do a thing where you do split time same direction, then do like a thread the needle type motion putting one in front of the other! It will help straighten out your planes in front! ^_^

hug

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
for spiral wraps this will make it easier than easy stuff.

as you are getting ready to set up your wall plane split time same direction for the wrap start stepping backwards. right as you bring your hands together to start your wrap take a few step forward or lunge your hands forward. That should really help in keeping your poi on your hands. TRY IT!

haha

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Ascilith: you could try what I do: start off doing a 3bt weave (either direction) then turn 90 degrees and as you do so bring your hands together.

I had issues with them sliding off my hands for quite a while too. Now I'm just having issues with the unwrap.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Poppy-roseBRONZE Member
30 posts

Posted:
Finally conquered the forward 3 beat weave, but cant do the reverse 3 beat weave! The right always seem to swing out on the cross over instead of up, its fine when im doing the right on its own but as soon as I get the left in, thats it!
I can do the butterfly, split time butterfly and over head butterfly.. learning to do hip reel too.

Found it easier to learn with poi with tails rather than the balls, just so i know when the lines are straight... or straight enough and the times are right.

Poppys will always be close to your heart.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Working on something I really shouldn't have to be working on: the windmill. SRSLY. I just found out I keep going into same time. I thought I had licked this issue, gee, eight months ago? I know what my hands should be doing, and it feels like they're doing it, but they're not. At least I found out before I decided "hey, I should do a windmill for more than eight seconds on the collaboration video!"
mad2

ChinChinniOh, there goes art.
23 posts

Posted:
Stalls. I love the way they look and I can get my poi down, I just can't figure out how to get my poi up. If I can get them up, I want to try to do them in different directions. Like, one up, one down.
I'm also working on my flowers now and then. Only when I feel like tongue2 I know how to do them, they just look like crap when I do them. Their not on the top of my list, but maybe they will be one day.

Have you seen my marbles?

2,280 posts

Posted:
Well, flowers are important for overall control. As for stalls, do you know the "stall theory," as in how all stalls work, or just the down ones? Because that could be your problem. It's either that or you just need more practice, but you have to know how they work first.

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
Currently it's CAPs, Pendulums, and Flowers... along with getting even dancier with it!

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
stalls up and down(got the down ones nice and clean just getting up clean now) flowers and flower turns and btb ttn

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Footwork, footwork, footwork, and body movements.

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Poppy-roseFinally conquered the forward 3 beat weave, but cant do the reverse 3 beat weave! The right always seem to swing out on the cross over instead of up, its fine when im doing the right on its own but as soon as I get the left in, thats it!

You might try turning 180 degrees when your forward weave is passing down toward your legs on either side and just turn to the side of your body the poi are going to. This will turn you into the reverse weave once you make the complete turn. I found this can at least get you started on the motion if you are having trouble getting it started from a stand still.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

KaspurGOLD Member
Eternal Student of all things Skill
110 posts

Posted:
I'm actually going back to some basics from the scales of poi dvd. Just getting healed up from a shoulder injury and really trying to refine my spinning now that I'm getting correct posture and body mechanics.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

Page: ......