Forums > Social Chat > Shout it from the rooftops

Login/Join to Participate
LMSPBRONZE Member
veteran
1,588 posts

Posted:
If there is anything you want to shout from the rooftops but dont have a ladder, then this is for YOU! (plus it is a lot safer than climbing on top of a building)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I have a few responses to that piece of advice, all roughly to the effect that its practical import is either unclear or unsound for want of a criterion to distinguish which capacities/habits, or lack thereof, are "myself" and which are merely self-defeating habits or incapacities. And it seems to exclude that a desire or impulse for change may be part of oneself, which I find dubious.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
It doesn't mean there is no room for change or improvement, but you should still be changing and improving yourself rather than attempting to become a specific something else, which is almost impossible anyway!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Then the advice is vacuous. No offense, I realize you're trying to be helpful, but it doesn't add anything to my knowledge of the problem or available solutions.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Ah well, guess you'll just have to settle for a hug then.

I'm sure there used to be a sneak attack hug smiley... Hmmm....

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Those are nice smile

WoodlandAppleBRONZE Member
addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Refuge Crewold In my experience, If you're true to yourself and fail to connect, it's not you, it's them.

Thats a rather nice way of passing the blame onto others, rapport is a two way street you shouldnt just expect people to respond to you and who you are if your unwilling to respond to them.

although improbably just nitpicking onwhat you said last, when your emphasis was probably on what you said first - which I agree with,just be yourself (unless you suck nana

sticks and stones my break my bones, but ski patrol will save me.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenI have a few responses to that piece of advice, all roughly to the effect that its practical import is either unclear or unsound for want of a criterion to distinguish which capacities/habits, or lack thereof, are "myself" and which are merely self-defeating habits or incapacities. And it seems to exclude that a desire or impulse for change may be part of oneself, which I find dubious.

that statement is in itself self defeating, I also find a DESIRE to change self defeating as well. you are much better of accepting that you are who you are and focus on learning and living and loving.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Any ideas I might put forth or attempts to psychoanalyse you could be taken too personal. WWFF Jr. and I were expressing our concern that's all. Sisterly love and the like. If that was meaningless because it didn't come in a box, than the solution to your problem is very clear.

I think you may complicate things to the point of no connection. What Alice is, is the same thing we all are, the human experience. I can't express it in a lower context to give you a defined parameter.

Everyday you go through the same things we all do. You want a connection? It may be as simple as a meaningless conversation about your favourite colour. Next thing you know you're listening to a story about a little girl that loved red so much she painted her room and made a mess, then you work your way up to toothpaste preferences and so on, building from something that might seem meaningless, but it isn't, it has it's ends.

It will diffuse someone and open them up to different directions for conversation all the while making a connection. 99.9% of the time, you're not going to make an instant connection with someone by talking about nebulae, tesseracts and unified theory postulations straight out of the gate.

You'd be surprised how much of a connection you can build over a favourite food.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
The sentiment was not meaningless. I was merely attempting to point out that "be yourself" expresses a sentiment more than it does convey advice.

As for the remainder of your post, it is advice I've been given before, and which fails time after time. I'm not a censored idiot, and I know that starting with my latest math or philosophy obsession isn't a good opener. That's why I don't use that as an opener. The issue is that whatever I try as an opener doesn't seem to result in a conversation with anyone. If you exclude my partner, it's sometimes weeks at a time between substantial talks with anyone. "Start by having a conversation about [simple thing]" is only useful if I can do even that much. I'm not asking for you to fix my problem in any case.

Woodland: a desire to learn *is* a desire to change. It's pretty much the opposite of self-defeating. When an alcoholic decides to change, it's considered laudable. Yet when I want to break my barely interrupted 20 year alienation streak it's self-defeating? censored that noise.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
And today, I have yet another story I can't tell my imaginary grandchildren about!

James you are a very lucky, stupid bastard!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I tackled someone for the last third of a drink in the name of JV!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
so very, very bored. Curse you insomnia! Curse you!!

Just a dancer in the dark

addict
474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister Eleven
Woodland: a desire to learn *is* a desire to change. It's pretty much the opposite of self-defeating. When an alcoholic decides to change, it's considered laudable. Yet when I want to break my barely interrupted 20 year alienation streak it's self-defeating? censored that noise.

well. No.

A desire to change is not the same as a desire to learn. A desire to change is a desire to be something you are not, which is an impossibility. Its called wishing behaivour. Which is self defeating. A purely superficial example is a short person wishing to be taller. It is impossible and a drain of energy. An alchoholic wishing not to be is not going to get them to stop. If you don’t agree, then maybe look at the twelve steps of the AA, the first on is acceptance. Noowhere in the other 11 is there ‘change’ but how to LEARN how to take charge of who they are.
The art of learning is to build on who you are, not to change who you are. I know these arguments are kinda semantic but in my opinion are important when you try to form an awareness of ‘self’

Quote:censored that noise
Your right, what do I know – I just do this for a living.

addict
474 posts

Posted:
maybe if you wanna discuss these thoughts deeper then make a topic in discussion???

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yes, it is a semantic difference. As it happens, I tend to cast the problem merely in terms of skills learning, though some people seem to count this as "not being oneself". My point in previous posts were more to the effect of being owed an explanation of "self" that made "be yourself" mean anything.

And I'd put more stock in those who do these things for a living if any of the ones I've seen were even a little useful. But I wasn't talking as a clinician or to a clinician. All I can say is, as a clinician talking to someone whose education was in experimental psych and philosophy, the rhetoric of "self" (whatever that is) isn't going to be effective unless you can give me an account of what that means. Again, though, I don't really want your advice or help or whatever. Though I'll gladly discuss conceptual questions relating to what a self is supposed to be in this context.

EDIT: Sure, it can go in discussion if you want. Whatevs.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1284693653)

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Borrowed from a protester's sign at the London protest during the Papal protest.

"Science flies you to the moon: religion flies you into buildings."

Love it!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
But do you taste any good?

Zephyre PhoenixFamiliar stranger giving out popcorn. (formerly Ascilith)
1,264 posts

Posted:
Ren fest sunday!

Never take candy from strangers...... But popcorn is okay!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
or tomorrow even

1,264 posts

Posted:
tomorrow? You should go sunday (hint hint wink wink) Check my thread, it has info.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I mighty be going to barder fair for the first time ever in october XXD

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Going to see Beats Antique!

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
censored me! Assi and IZ's Ren Fest looks fun! We just have the stupid Scarborough Fair! mad2

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
hey, at least you get Ren Faires... UK doesn't really have quite the same set-up frown

Also my bed's been stolen by a very large dog. He looks too innocent to be committing deliberate theft of my sleeping space

Just a dancer in the dark

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Seasprayhey, at least you get Ren Faires... UK doesn't really have quite the same set-up frown

Also my bed's been stolen by a very large dog. He looks too innocent to be committing deliberate theft of my sleeping space

Really? That sucks, we do seem to have a good amount of festivals all over the US

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

1,264 posts

Posted:
The ren-fest here is fantastically fun. Hope u can come refuge, maybe part day? but crossing fingers.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I will know tomorrow!

fireburnerSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
== Wait until the bomd drops == XD x

never say good bye... Why? because good bye is gor when your never seeing them again. x

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Muhahahaha! Carves Ascilith's digits into the flying J toilet cubical underneath, "For a good time call"

.....Weird I have more HoPpers phone numbers stored in my phone than I do family members.

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
I only have three family member's phone numbers, or wait... ok maybe a few more than that, but really not that many. my phone is kind of empty, and everyone is given a marvel comics codename.

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.