nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
hello people i was just wondering on what length i should order my next fire staff to be.
my curent staff is 4 feet 5 inches. im 6 foot 3 inches tall and would love to get the perfect staff.
so any input whould be good thanx
CAN YOU TURN INTO A MOUSE SAYS PUSS AND BOOTS

SLEEP WITH ANGELS muckieha

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
this should be in the technical forum, so I'm moving it for you.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
thanx josh i have no idea on how all this works

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
hey man. Depends what tricks you wanna do. Basically, if you wanna be able to spin staff through legs without lifting one of them, make the staff around 10-15cm shorter than twice the length from your crotch to the ground. If you wanna do triple spin (3 beat fig 8 with snaking at the hip, you know, that thing...), then make the staff twice the length of hip to ground. And so on and so forth. The perfect length is up to you smile.

Personally I prefer shorter staffs because they open up more moves, while retaining most moves that can be done with long staffs (apart from contact moves, but this again depends on the length and weight of the staff).

One thing though, my mate mate a mega staff, actually not THAT mega, but pretty mega. 160cm, made of steel and dowel all the way through. Personally having played with it i thought it was too heavy, and hard to spin fast without being possibly quite dangerous :P, simply because of the amount of steel used to make a staff that long. Just another thing to take into account.

My vote goes to short :P, ie shorter than twice crotch to ground.

- Klaymen

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
I like big staffs biggrin

But I didn't manage to convince Klaymen of their virtues wink

'specially if you're just doing one staff, it opens up all the contact stuff, and doesn't close much off, it's quite possible to do lots of between the leg stuff with big staffs, just takes a bit more timing. Lots of people seem to have much shorter staffs for doubles, except up here in edinburgh, where loads of people use 1.5m doubles biggrin.

I love my 1.5m staffs, they feel about the right size, and they're all ally, so they're quite light. But then again when I pick up my 1m steel doubles, I think "ooh, i'd forgotten how much fun these are".

So cover all the extremes as much as possible, try everything.

Wow, that seems to be a completely useless post. Oh well...

monkeys ate my brain

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
haha mine seemed useless in the end too. I guess it's just worth saying to think exactly what you want to be able to do before making them.

With regards to long staff, I was actually really looking forward to my friend having his "beast staff". But once i played with it, it was just so bloody heavy. This thing would be about 2 kilos, and the way it carries itself and continues to spin is GREAT. It is really really awesome for slow spinning. But, fast spinning, I just don't think it can be done with this, atleast not wisely. I reckon you could end up dislocating a shoulder or something, or giving yourself a very major headconk with it.

Hmm actually, well my last staff was steel and around say, 1.2m. And its weight was great, but that could also because I got used to it. Also, maybe i just feel threatened by how god damned HUGE my mates beast staff is :P.

I guess another way to decide what type of staff you want, besides experimenting with what FEELS the nicest, watch other people twirl and decide which length (and also I guess speed and weight comes into this) looks the coolest biggrin.

- Klaymen

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
How about for long doubles? I'm just getting into that stuff and I like it a lot. With long doubles you can't do through the legs stuff anyway, so is there another guideline to use for deciding on a length?

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
i like a lot of the contact stuff well im not a inbetween the legs type person i like speed and lots of it

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i like delicacy,
my leg is delicate
no more than 1m sticks
thanks.
knock knock.
native has a cute sister.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
im 6foot ish, and i have just converted over to 5ft staff from 4.8's. cos i like them more!

and the approving ninja is teh cause, but dont tell him! biggrin

Step (el-nombrie)

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Im 5 foot 7 and my staff is about 5 foot 2 really light so contact is really hard .

I know this girl who uses the exact same size as herself and looks quite good .

But it all depends on what your confortable with

And remember the more the wick the more weight and the fact you can burn yourself eek tongue

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

nativeSILVER Member
sleeping with angels
508 posts

Posted:
well i think im going to go for the five foot six inch staff
so far its been the best one ive tryed

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I get what you're saying, I think

Pretty much your concern is that 1/2 the Staff > Length of your arm, right?

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Its not often that you'll want to spin it under your armpit in normal style staff spinning. Not to say you shouldn't but just that people often don't. So a longer staff won't be much of an issue and will be a great help learning contact moves.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Nice, main issue is that the tennisball ends will last all of about 10 minutes before the metal tube pierces through the end. Its a difficult thing to fix really. I use towel wrapped around the end as if it was a firewick but that only lasts so long too. I've been toying with the idea of some wooden cap but not played too much yet.

The alternative is some sort of cap like you get on the end of walking sticks on the end before the tennis ball goes on. I could never find one the right diameter (but didn't try all that hard)

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
No worries, the tennis ball on the end might still be an idea if you want to do lots of throws, will cushion impacts a bit.

Got me thinking about making some new practice juggling staffs now smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'd go with a stick no higher than your shoulder with one end rested on the ground, any longer and if you do a low behind the back pass from hand to hand you run the risk of the ends hitting the ground. ANy behind the back entry to contact gets tricker tooor any off centre held move behind the back.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
My contact staff comes to just below my chin if that helps any. smile

In terms of weight, it is just a solid piece of dowel down the middle.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

heather.clarkson16Member
1 post

Posted:
Hello,

I've never had a staff before and Im in love the look of contact I'm 5'7 what size staff do you guys recommend??

Thanks in advance!!:D