Forums > Help! > retractable staffs?

Login/Join to Participate

D3l1r1umbefore delirium there was... delight
57 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if anyone buy chance knew where I would find one if such a thing exists?

Im certain it does- I just wouldnt know where to even start looking>.<

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
it could easily be made with something similar to a how a crutch works

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I said it a long time ago, but I have yet to see one made.... a couple 31" ASP police Batons and a simple bracket and you'd have one ready to go...

Might be a wee bit heavy though wink

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
I have actually been thinking about this to be honest... Like Midkiff said, with a system like crutches, the pop pin system.

You'd have to have it telescoping at both ends... But it could be interesting. I'm building a staff soonish, so we'll see how it goes, whether I make it a retractable one or a sectioned one is yet to be decided really...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
crutches are the best option, yet always careful with drops

good to see you back, Lurch

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Surely one in sections would work better though?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

ChakaGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
The fyrefli staffs are extendable, so they also retract. The old ones worked much like a crutch, as mention above... I've not used the new version though.

I'd recommend a concentrate 3 piece over it though, as the connections were rather loose and the concentrate is solid.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
solid staff FTW

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
:ditto: Poje

Collapsable may be useful for travelling around but nothing beats a solid state staff for performance and safety, no rattling or changes to Centre of Gravity, smooth spin, less likely to break. I've never seen a staff in more than 1 peice worth the metal it was made of apart from possibly pyromonkey's hydra staff (exchangeable wicks) but I never saw that being used.

If your having trouble carrying your stick about get a good staff bag or just make yourself a set of mini lightweight doubles, a solid staff just rolls so much better because it is more likely to be straight making angel rolls, steves etc much neater and easier.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

57 posts

Posted:
The reason I had asked about it was because my boyfriend keeps getting upset at me when we go to music shows- because Im allowed in with my poi- but he usually has to go bring his staff back to the car/campsite...
I figured maybe a retractable on would easily fit in a camping chair bag and would go unnoticed

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
In that case a sectionable (is that a word? One in sections) one is the way to go.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
https://www.firemecca.com/p-983-blazelink-contact-led-glow-staff-break-down.aspx

This is the staff I used when I was travelling... Very useful. They also do different heads for Fire/Practice, however I have never tried either of these so can't give my opinion.

I am extremely happy with this staff, and still use it a lot now that I am home.

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

57 posts

Posted:
huh- nifty-
thanks^^

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I believe concentrate also do a 3 section staff

(I know how he feels, I went to stonehenge one year for solstice and wasn't allowed to take my staff in because it was classed as a "weapon" I then proceeded to see 50 people dressed as druids carrying lumps of wood about 8ft long, as you can imagine I felt slightly cheated)

the other way round it is to just lie. I normally say I'm a performer performing inside and ask lots of awkward questions until they forget they stopped me for the stick wink could always stick an umbrella to the end and claim it's a parasol.

edit:
You can get 3 sectioned staffs HERE

EDITED_BY: Mynci (1285156593)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.