Zach_BGOLD Member
Flowing gently, Hands and Poi are One
9 posts

Posted:
I've seen several video's from advanced Poi spinners do a move in which they are doing an Anti-spin flower and turning at the same time. And for the life of me cannot figure out how it is that it's done...

Could someone POInt me in the right direction or link me to a video so that I may learn this beautiful move?!

Our view of the world is defined by our Perception of it. How do you Perceive it?

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
do it with one hand at a time. when the antispin is out horizontally turn and continue the direction. so it'll be like up then as it goes in front of you you'll turn halfway, then as it goes down turn the rest of the way, then as goes forward turn halfway and then the rest of the way as it goes down. The other hand. Then other direction. Confusing?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Pretty much. A simpler way of saying that would be "You want to switch when the poi is at the top or bottom of its arc". The fun part is getting arms to co-operate....

I should work on this.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
wait what? when would you do it at the bottom of the arc

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Oops... Sorry, forgot to point out this is for four-petal flowers.

So there are four points:

You want to turn around 180 when the poi are at either 1 or 4. Obviously you start the turn at a different time. Hope that is a bit clearer?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
All I can say to help is don't think of it as making a continuous circle as of now. Split the motion in half, just think, ok my hands are at the top and bottom, now do a half step to turn 180 degrees and move them vertical again. It's hard to explain but i hope that suffices. After a while you cal just turn and it does it, but it is currently one of my favorite things to do smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

NwNinjastranger
21 posts

Posted:
Ill try and explain a good way to learn. I spin naturally to the left so ill explain that way, ill also explain as if i am turning to the right. start spinning same direction split time and extend you arms out horizontally. Then turn 45 degrees so you are facing right and bring your left arm up and you right arm down. hold that for a while until you feel comfortable. Next turn 45 degrees right again and bring both arms out horizontally . The cool thing is that you will find you are now in the opposite position of where you started ( you should be spinning split time same direction to the right now). The last step is to turn to turn 45 degrees again so that your left arm is up and your right arm is down. Then if you make the last turn you will be in the exact same position you started in. Go through the steps slowly and eventually it will make sense. I hope this is somewhat easy for ppl to understand grin its kind of hard to explain through words

e6SILVER Member
we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams
45 posts

Posted:
make sure you can do antispin flowers both forwards and in reverse with each hand cleanly and precisely. when you're turning, you need to be very comfortable with placing the horizontal petals without concentrating too hard on it.

practice turning without the poi. make sure you are making big, clean circles with your hands. pay attention to the planes your hands are tracing.

clean planes are of the utmost importance to turning with flowers. your body, and more importantly, your head, will be spinning in a circle and so your frame of reference is constantly moving. practice somewhere with lines on the floor: an empty parking lot, a hardwood floor, a freshly mown lawn, a soccer field. focus on keeping your planes parallel w/ the lines on the floor as you turn around.