Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

TinglTanglBobBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
Just at this moment ive done my first 3 beat btb weave! Its was really painfull to learn and i unfortunally can do only 1 or 2 rouds until i hit myself but i've got a fealing like i would fix it up in the next time biggrin

gz @ Lizzybeth: sounds really impressive! (btw. never ever tell that what you did was just an accident. muhahaha xD)

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
ubblol well its no longer an accident i worked out how i did it biggrin heehee...what fun smile but point taken wink

if i could be a busy busy bee...

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
got the wiggle last night - result!

also been having looooooooooooooooooads of fun with corkscrew and tuns... very dizzy now though!!

brillBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Did my first 7bt fwd weave. No arm-wraps, but with my elbows threaded over one another. Seperation looks good, but the shoulders feels torn out of their sockets this morning!!

CatsCradleBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I've learned the 5bfw... looking good..
so now I know chasing the sun (lil'bit), butterfly, 3bw and 5bw... what can I do next...

Deamon_LlamaBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I've managed to get forward and reverse behind the back weaves, now looking at getting turns thereof.

---
No statements are true unless they can be proven scientifically.
---

MeeshkaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Just managed to figure out how to thread the needle, along with how to do it lying down. I also managed to figure out how to do hyperloops inside of a 3 beat weave, and this move thing where I put it under my leg and wrap it around the back of my arm and come out into a butterfly. Which was purely by accident, but it looked cool. Also just got the 5 beat weave down.
EDITED_BY: Meeshka (1198974497)

AtomicDreamnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Today I just managed to learn the Buzzsaw. Yesterday I attempted flowers (And succeeded). Now I'm working on Buzzsaw tricks, including not wacking myself when I try to do a buzzsaw flower. I hate being short, because that means my arms are short, so I have to super shorten the poi if I don't want to wack myself in the chest.

gisted_kuduSILVER Member
6 posts

Posted:
WEEEEEEEEEEEE

just got my 9 beat weave down It's really fun to do.
EDITED_BY: gisted_kudu (1200228877)

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
biggrin crossers...forward with either arm on top and back wards....now...how do i get behing my back :P

if i could be a busy busy bee...

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Low turn, between hand ad body.

Kind of "inside" low turn.

more music!

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Some kind of waistwrapping thing with both arms as far round my body as they can go, nicked from Thomas' thailand video on the video board...

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
It's a good coupla days for me! Antispin 4-petal flowers poi forwards arms back smile

Centrificistnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Just learned 4 beat hyperloops from fwd and bkwd 3 beat weave! I love how it goes into the buzzsaw inbetween may arms, great flowly feeling biggrin And am on the verge of getting the meltdown! Its soooooo close!

MeeshkaBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
Figured out orbitals.

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Wahey, btb the waistwrap finally biggrin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I haven't done more than briefly touched poi in ages, however... a posting on behalf of my 11yo, lachie...

he's now got an increasingly smooth forwards 3-beat weave... I'm getting him to play around with increasing/decreasing the speed, so he can maintain control... have also shown him how (and he can do it) to do the 3-bt with mostly wrist, minimal arm movement.

he's also figured out inwards spinning butterfly by himself. biggrin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
kk... I made lachie a pair of practice poi last night, out of a pair of tights, a pair of socks and some rice... so now he can practise as much as (and wherever/whenever) he likes.

he's now working on reverse 3-bt; trying to move into it from forwards by turning around 180deg. is getting there... smile

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
BTB weave is in the beginnners section of HOP lessons.
Lordy

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Posted:
Hey everybody,
just wanted to say that I am very grateful for this page and especially the library with the beginners moves because here (Phi Phi Island, Thailand), I haven't found a teacher so before I found this site I had to learn tricks by myself without any supervision or tips... which was really demotivating...

Since I look up tricks on HOP, I have learned:
Split time, Butterfly, Giant Butterfly, Butterfly behind the back, One handed Butterfly (left hand), Cork Screw, Chasing the Sun and Buzzsaw

Right now I am trying to learn the 3 beat Weaver but its kind of tricky... but I am not giving up weavesmiley

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Got the 1.5, just playing with it now. And the idea behind it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Got the btb 3bt. Just clicked yesterday. biggrin

Also, not-1.5s are smoother (these are just fun wink)

Airwraps are getting smoother and am just playing around now.

Sort of got a butterfly weave thing too.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Parallel extension routine

Context: high longarm, low circle

Mode: parallel, backward, wheel

smile,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Posted:
Congrats Aston, that sounds cool...

During the last two days I learned:
High Turn, Low Turn and the forward 3 Beat Weave :-) It's real fun to do...

Art as art, not art for art,
must be life enhancing.
- Bernard Berenson

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
as I don't really do poi I have no idea what this is called, I learnt a couple of variants too
butterfly buzzsaw fountain and turning butterfly buzzsaw foountain, a bit scary doing butterfly over your own head ubblol and some half antispin butterfly stuff.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

AuroraJonesnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Sambo_Flux

Turn to turn from a forwards weave into a backwards one, and back a gain, both directions. Then learn Fountains. smile

okay, so got going back and forth between reverse and forward weave, and then I stopped spinning for a long time. Like it's been months.
fountains huh... mmmkay

The only difference between people with tattoos, and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos, don't care if you're tattooed or not.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I lost the transition b/n my weaves too, stupid insane winters

But I did learn to do numchuck type series. Spinning back...kinda throw it forward and do elbow wrap and then the other way into wrapping around my forearms into butterfly. so now must learn it the other way. And opposite and other way opposite

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Yes! I just got the 5-beat BTB this morning! It could use some polishing, but I can't say I'm a big fan of the behind the back moves so far. It may be because I made sock poi last night (I've been using tennis balls on strings with loops or stick handles), which are a lot easier to work with; my planes are much, much better looking with the socks. Good times.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

poinoobSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
i just learned a bunch of butterfly weave varients, about got isolated buzzsaws can't keep em going tho

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
 Written by :poinoob

about got isolated buzzsaws can't keep em going tho

That's exactly the point I'm at right now; I can get it, but my right hand (the off hand) always loses it... The other day I had tied a knot right in the middle of the string; being able to visualize it seemed to make it easier to sustain an isolation, so I think I'm going to try that again.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Page: ......