Forums > Other Toys > The Official release of the Folding Finger Spin Fire Fans

Login/Join to Participate

Charlie FoxPLATINUM Member
Burinating the village like Trogdor
156 posts

Posted:
Yes, thats right all, the time is here and long overdue.

I have been trying to upload a video for the release, but my internet is still a bit buggy after the big shake the other day.

Stay tuned here or keep an eye on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/FireStuffNZ
for a couple of new vids to show up at some point today.

My stock is g2g, and all going to plan I'll be delivering HOPs stock later today.

Here are the basic specs
Fan Blade Length: 410mm (16")
Open Fan Span: 785mm (31")
Wick Size: 50mm (2.5")
Total Wick: 2.5m (8.2'), 250mm per Blade (9.8") Weight: 380gm Each (13.4oz)

The price is NZ$210 (+ GST for the kiwi folk), I'm happy to bring the price in a few dollars lower than my initial estimates smile

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Charlie Fox (1283714629)
EDIT_REASON: added image

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

Don't join dangerous cults: Practice safe sects!
- Anon (I think)

Icarus FordeBRONZE Member
Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
261 posts

Posted:
Looking good! grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Awesome! If I ever get fans, I think I know what I'm getting!

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

156 posts

Posted:
5th time was the charm, i did have to reduce the size under 100mb to make it work, so sorry about the quality all.

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

hexacotoSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Just ordered mine through the Facebook page! I do hope that I get it in time. How long do you think it takes to ship to the US?

156 posts

Posted:
Shouldn't take too long once the courier picks them up, I'm going to give them a call to find out what's going on tomorrow as they have missed their pick ups for the last couple of days.

- A.A. Milne

- Anon (I think)

P41G3SILVER Member
purveyor of curiosities
4 posts

Posted:
OK, I'm hooked! I know what my next fire toy is going to be. Great work Charlie!

Commence saving my pennies...

puttin' the art into party

hexacotoSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Just received it in the mail today! Nice handwriting by the way, Charlie. Really excited! Haven't taken it for a burn yet but I've been trying out some spins and all that to see how they translate

Here's my two-cents worth and a pseudo-technical review of the Folding Finger Spin fans for those who might be interested:

(I'll be comparing these to HOP large 5-spoke fans, as those are the other ones I have)

Firstly and most noticeably, the nut and bolt at the bottom of the fan are kind of long. They dig into your palms as you try to do things like weaves, corkscrew or such. The HOP fans have a flat profile and thus this one is a bit of a throwback. While it isn't painful, it's kind of 'present' all the time when you spin, but gloves will remedy it.

Next, the HOP static fans have a huge ring at the bottom, which one can use the ball of the palm to start and stop spins. The folding fans don't, so you'll have to change the way you start and stop spins from rest (without using momentum from the arms). When in a thumb-grip (thumb in ring), I use my fingers to start-stop, instead of ball of palm, though carefully so, because excessive, impulsive force can cause the spokes to buckle a little, slightly ruining the impression of the spin. In a finger-grip (3rd finger in ring), I use the thumb to start-stop instead of ball of palm. This one is just a matter of getting used to the different fans and isn't a big problem.

As mentioned, the HOP static fans have a flat profile, and this finger spin fans are splayed. As such, lateral spins are slightly affected in that they are harder, but I'm sure they can be overcome with some trial-and-error.

Grip issues: You'll have to figure out where to put your other fingers when in the finger-grip, especially when doing weaves and the like. When doing weaves, I release the grip from my other fingers, leaving only the 3rd finger in and using that finger and the heel of my palm to 'control' the planes of the weaves. It's a little tiring, but it works.

Non-Https Image Link

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Non-Https Image Link

It's possible to put all your fingers in between the spokes with the folding fans as per static fans, but I find that releasing them when transitioning to spins is a bit tricky, and the fingers might get stuck. I like the way I hold them because there's a balance of contact for control and ease of release for spins.

Rings: They're spacious! That's good, and unlike the HOP ones which are painted over with black paint which come off and leave jagged edges and chafes, this one is raw and smooth, though the welding work might leave some bumps on the ring, but they differ from fan to fan. Given enough practice, they're actually spacious enough to do the 3-beat and above weaves with the finger-thumb-grip changes. With the HOP ones I usually do it with the big ring at the bottom. However, the nut-and-bolt does get in the way a little when I tried that out.

Weight: It's light, but not unstable so it's good. My arms didn't feel like they were about to snap. But I'm a guy and have some strength going on. Ladies might find it challenging, but it's not impossible

Lastly, I like to combine my fans and sort of create a giant fan and split them into 2 at will. This is not really possible with the folding fans because it has a wider wingspan, so combining them actually forms a circle. This creates for some really interesting possibilities. The nut-and-bolt assembly prevents a setup that will resemble a giant fan, but it's possible to hold it in one hand.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Here are the two compared. Yes I stuck light sticks on mine for practice at night.

Non-Https Image Link

Haven't taken it for a burn so I don't know how long the wicks last. I am super excited to be playing with this groundbreaking new toy! The above are just some things I've noticed that are different from the HOP fans, but not necessarily terribly bad. Remember all different fans have different ways of manipulation, so it's just a matter of getting used to them.

I think in all, my greatest issue was with the nut-and-bolt at the bottom being too long, but other than that it's just great!

Will update more when I have more to dish out.

Cheers!
EDITED_BY: hexacoto (1284579787)