• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Chat > Earthquake near Christchurch

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Domestibot
Domestibot

stranger
Total posts: 6
Posted:I just heard there was a huge Earthquake near Christchurch. Is everyone at Home of Poi okay?

Delete Topic

Flint_413
Flint_413

Fire Artist and Hooper
Total posts: 181
Posted:I JUST SAW THIS!!! Idk, no tsunami warnings yet. But it was a 7.0 thats a BIG earthquake. MALCOLM! CAN YOU HEAR ME???? THE RESCUE TEAM IS COMING!!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

Delete

Seye
Seye

Geek
Total posts: 1261
Posted:Just saw a clip of this on the BBC news. Not a great deal of detail other than some buildings have collapsed'. Hope everyone and everything is ok.

Delete

Icarus Forde
Icarus Forde

Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
Total posts: 261
Posted:Flipping massive.

I'm up in the North Island, several hundred kilometres away from Christchurch, and I felt these this morning.

Buildings are down, there's two people critically injured (both 50 y/o males, one hit by a falling chimney and the other from falling glass).

There's been about seven, if not more, aftershocks, some around the 3.0 mark, some around the 5.3 mark, but nothing lower than a 3.

No water in most of the city, power's patchy at best, communications are in a state of disarray, particularly cell, since without power the cell sites are going onto battery power, and it's dropping down slowly. Thankfully, the two major telecoms in NZ are working together to restore power to each site, regardless of network affiliation, which is great.

There's been a crapload of damage, sewage pipes have burst in some places, old buildings are decimated, the usual earthquake stuff... Nobody dead though, which is a real bonus. smile

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 992
Posted:I am pretty sure we will be all fine.
Power is now on , after shocks happening as I type, and amazingly internet and phone line going at our home.

We have been told to stay at home and that is what we are doing.

We are all very shaken and emotional. We have plenty of stored water for a few days, and will be setting up a home made chemical toilet soon.

Neighbors are all good.

Very lucky at this stage. The hard part will be the clean up. And more importantly getting clean safe water and sewage checked and running again.

The people of Christchurch are awesome and we will rise to the challenge required of us.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

the_mods_stole_my_name
the_mods_stole_my_name

travelling without moving
Total posts: 1286
Posted:I feel really lucky that I actually left Christchurch 2 days ago. I hope all you guys at HoP are doing o.k. (it was nice to meet you Malcolm btw!)

I was in Twizel when it hit and it most definitely woke me up. I'm in Dunedin right now, but I may head back up to Christchurch to see if I can help in any clean up operation that takes place. I've heard that the city centre is closed off at the moment though, so I'll wait and see what the news says before making the journey back there.

Heilige Scheie, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Delete

spark1
stranger

Total posts: 1
Posted:Glad to hear y'all are okay & families too. Good luck w/ the cleanup, grew up in Southern California, well familiar w/ the mess a solid tembler can leave behind.
Spark Winters,
Texas

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:Yey - you're okay hug very good to hear... when I came aware of it I been so tired that I only managed to mumble into the keyboard...

All the best - thinking of you guys

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Delete

Birgit
Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
Total posts: 4145
Posted:Hello again... just quickly checking in to see if everyone's ok, and apparently you are. Phew!!!!

Sending lots of love and energy for the cleanup.

hug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

G4dget
G4dget

Eternal Student of all things Skill
Total posts: 110
Posted:Glad to hear everyone is ok and doing well. Lots of Love to you all and I hope everything gets back to normal soon for you all.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

Delete

Pele
Pele

the henna lady
Total posts: 6193
Posted::MASSIVE HUGS:

I'm glad all is well with you and the fam.
Hope the other HoPpers there faired out as well, and HQ.

You are all strong and I know healing will come to your lovely city and it will be as grand as ever. <3

LOVE YOU!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Delete

Flint_413
Flint_413

Fire Artist and Hooper
Total posts: 181
Posted:Hang in there Malcolm. We're sending you good vibes. Sounds as if everything will be okay its just gonna really suck for awhile frown WE LOVE YOU!!

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

Delete

georgemc
georgemc

Sitting down facing forward . . .
Total posts: 2387
Posted:2 days after the event and things are starting to get back to normal. Yesterday outside of the CBD most of the food-type places that would normally be open were. The exception was the large mall where shop keepers were in cleanup mode and no customers were allowed in.

Schools have been closed to at least Wednesday (the boys love that!), but Canty university is closed for the week while they assess all the health and safety aspects.

It seems that most of the damaged buildings were the old brick ones, where the old mortar seemed to crumble under the violent shaking. Old wooden houses are mostly ok except for those with brick fireplaces where many of them have fallen off sometimes taking things out in the process and sometimes not.

and boy was it violent! My wife & I were "cowering" in the bedroom doorway - I say cowering because we couln't stand. You know when you stand on a ships deck in rough seas you can stand ok by absorbing the rock and roll by flexing your legs?, well I was trying but it was impossibe and for several full minutes (seemed like about 15mins solid) we were thrown around at the mercy of nature. It was the roughest and scariest thing I have ever encountered (and I don't frighten easily)!

And the shaking continues. The aftershocks were expected to taper off by dawn this morning but even now as I type we are still having very strong aftershocks (4+ on the richter scale). The cat has been freaked out and in hiding for the last 2 days and only appeared in the last few hours. Within a few minutes of turning up there was another aftershock and he was straight back under the bed for another few hours!

In fact if anything the aftershocks seem to be increasing currently instead of tapering off.

But, everyone is alive - one exception - one gentleman died of a heart attack. But given the earthquake was the same scale as the Haiti one, we have been very lucky. Everything else is just money now.

The most amazing thing I thought was the people checking up on us to see if we were ok - the first 3 people who contacted me were from London, Kuwait and Nepal! And then the NZ people started checking. The modern world is indeed a wonderful place from that perspective.

thanks for all the support folks. hug

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Posted:hug

some more background information

Delete

Seye
Seye

Geek
Total posts: 1261
Posted:Originally Posted By: georgemcThe most amazing thing I thought was the people checking up on us to see if we were ok - the first 3 people who contacted me were from London, Kuwait and Nepal! And then the NZ people started checking. The modern world is indeed a wonderful place from that perspective.
That comment just reminded me of this...
http://xkcd.com/723/
br>
Glad to hear everyone is ok :-)

Delete

Icarus Forde
Icarus Forde

Just Icarus//Spinner//Pyro//Geek
Total posts: 261
Posted:Two more big ones hit within the last half hour... 5.2 and 5.4 respectively. They're in for a long night, I think... *sigh*

Blessings and prayer to anyone who's down there.

Delete

Mr_Chutney
Mr_Chutney

Tosser
Total posts: 1711
Posted:Take care all- glad you're all OK.

Delete

Neon_Shaolin
Neon_Shaolin

hehe, 'Member' huhuh
Total posts: 6120
Posted:It happened again.

A 7.0-magnitude earthquake has struck New Zealand's South Island, causing widespread minor damage and power cuts

BBC NEWS

Herald Sun

Daily Telegraph

Hope you guys are okay.

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Delete

Brenn
Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
Total posts: 3286
Posted:HoP staff,

Please let us know you are ok. Thinking of you.

Regards,

Brendan.

&#2384;

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Total posts: 161
Posted:My cousin lives in Christchurch frown Haven't heard anything from him as yet. All you New Zealanders take care!

Delete

FireTom
Stargazer

Posted:grouphug s

Delete

Kit
veteran
Total posts: 1269
Posted:Not again! Hope everyones okay x. *love*

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

Delete

Kit
veteran
Posted:The news is scaring me. Praying for you all xx

random murbles

Delete

_Poiboy_
_Poiboy_

bastard child of satan
Total posts: 1113
Posted:I really hope everything is ok for you guys. hug

Delete

=Flashpoint=
=Flashpoint=

Pasta of Muppets
Total posts: 2719
Posted:Yeah, let us know you're all OK, OK?

hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 992
Posted:All at HoP are OK. Many are not frown
A very sad day today for us all.

grouphug

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Total posts: 5967
Posted:Thinking about you all...

So sorry to hear the news this morning.

Take care xx

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

drhell
stranger
Total posts: 1
Posted:Glad to know you all are fine!

Delete

Mand
Mand

Keeper of the Spitfire
Total posts: 2317
Posted:Glad to hear that everyone at HoP is ok.
Big hugs Malcolm and George. Stay safe.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Delete

Indica
Indica

addict
Total posts: 5
Posted:healing and strength to you and all your people of Christchurch..Lesley .....Scotland

Delete

Kit
veteran
Posted:glad to hear your safe. so sorry that this has happened to you guys again, all our love x

random murbles

Delete

Page: 12