• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 12
square

Total posts: 35
Posted:just been watching some of the videos and now i feel all meep! please someone tell me these are just extra special clever ppl with lots of practice so it doesnt seem that i could never be that good ever! much scaryness!

you're a naughty potato!

Delete Topic

Jello

ambiguous

Total posts: 646
Posted:hehe, there are some impressive peps out there But worry not, as the weeks, months, and years pass you'll find yourself doing moves you never imagined you could

Delete

Jez

addict

Total posts: 642
Posted:I have been spinning for a couple of years and there is always more to learn. Thankfully the art grows everyday and always stays fresh. But as mentioned before with some perseverance and a lot of practise you can learn an awful lot of moves and who know maybe in a few months you will be creating your own videos showing off the new things you have learnt and teaching us a thing or two.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Delete

Psyri
SILVER Member since Apr 2003

Psyri

artisan

Total posts: 1576
Posted:I know how you feel, they are like gods... never thwacking themselves etc...

Delete

Dom
BRONZE Member since Dec 2001

Dom

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3009
Posted:never thwacking themselves??? Now you're being silly - everyone messes up. But it's video so they edit out mistakes. Actually I think there's delibrately added mess ups in the occasional video.

There are a lot of mindblowing spinners out there, but don't put them on a pedestal, it's just practice, inspiration and creativty - which is open to everyone. And I've seen all the mind blowing spinners I know be complete muppets too

Delete

flid
BRONZE Member since Aug 2002

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3136
Posted:quote:And I've seen all the mind blowing spinners I know be complete muppets tooyea. I saw glass drop a couple of the balls he was juggling with when doing 7 ball juggling on shroomz, i reckon he's a bit shit really

Delete

Glåss
PLATINUM Member since Nov 2001

Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation

Total posts: 2523
Posted:Meep.... good word

yea flid thats true. Pk told me i was shit too
I can only juggle 5 which would explain why I dropped 2.

square, a lot of lovely people, and also a few pretty good spinners will be meeting up to spin in south glous in september. You might want to drop by for a day or 2... near alveston/olveston

Eeep

Delete

sunbeam
SILVER Member since Nov 2001

sunbeam

old hand

Total posts: 1032
Posted:I know exactly how you feel; I feel the same sometimes when I go to a workshop/festival but it's all about choices:

Choose to be inspired not jealous

Choose to be happy that you have poi/staff/juggling gurus (not to worship or put on pedestals but people who make you want to pick up your toys and play)

Choose to play for fun and judge yourself by your own standards not other peoples

If we all did the same tricks...

BTW I don't know what videos you've been watching but some of these "extra special clever" people aren't real people, they are Genetically Engineered Oompa-Loompas beamed down to confuse or enlighten us - what you CHOOSE to do with them is up to you! (I might be making it up but you can choose not to believe me!)

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

Delete

Posted:Me too, you see somone doing some mad move, spinning their poi in a perfect hexaon behind thier back with their eye's closed and think
"how the... what the... <expletive deleted>!!!"

But, seeing good spinning always makes me want to spin / wish I had my poi with me so I could spin

I've found that everyone is cool and most are willing to share if you sidle up and ask ...

"can you just?.. how do you?.. Ohh *THATS* how it's done!! Cheers m8!"

Then I run away and practice till my arms fall off...

No pain, no gain...
just not in the face...

PsyB.

Delete

square

Posted:quote:Originally posted by Glss:

square, a lot of lovely people, and also a few pretty good spinners will be meeting up to spin in south glous in september. You might want to drop by for a day or 2... near alveston/olveston
Eeep i will consider, however unfortunately i need to become a wageslave soon, so i may not be able to. twould be much coolness tho!

you're a naughty potato!

Delete

square

Posted:oh also, y'all made me a lot less scared, im sure i could get that good eventually, i didnt really think about it that way just concentrated no the , oh-god-i-can-barely-link-stuff-together-yet feeling i got hehe xx

you're a naughty potato!

Delete

Frazzle

Total posts: 105
Posted:Apologies for hijacking,but Square - I'm not too far from Gloucester so if you ever fancy meeting up for a spin PM me sometime. BTW, Meep is a word my dog uses when she needs to go out for a walk...

Happiness is a journey,not a destination

Delete

firemonkeyboy

Total posts: 13
Posted:What Sunbeam said rocks, except about the oompa-Loompas. I think they might be verniscious kanits.

No matter how good you get or how bad you think you are, there will always be someone who does a move better and worse than you. I practised for a year and after watching me firespin one time my 14 year old nephew( who did not know what poi were until then) borrowed my zuni poi and after 5 MINUTES!!!!!! could do turns,the weave, butterfly corkscrew and windmill. ( he figured the windmill out all by himself, I can't do it.) After picking my jaw up from the ground I laughed and gifted him with the poi.

I spin for the joy it brings me and I love the artistry shown by people who are better than me. Knowing how difficult some of these moves are makes me appreciate them more.

Just don't stop. Serioiusly, never, learn to spin in your sleep, with one hand, while driving a car, while making love. If you stop something bad will happen, the voices in my head are never wrong.

BAd monkey

Death is only a change of address

Delete

flid

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:quote:borrowed my zuni poi and after 5 MINUTES!!!!!! could do turns,the weave, butterfly corkscrew and windmill.there's nothing more fun than getting someone to introduce you to poi who thinks you've never seen them before. "ok, now i'm doing this 3 beat weave, if i wrap my arms like this is this 7 beats?"

Delete

Cantus
SILVER Member since Jul 2001

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Total posts: 15965
Posted:quote:Originally posted by sunbeam:

Choose to be inspired not jealous I take it you weren't around at Glasto to hear my "Bloody poi spinners.... comments.

Or the very specific:
"especially Australian ones."
aimed at no Knoxious in particular.

"I'll carry this....It's harder to spill a hat" - Chellybean
"...like a rabbit caught in a lighthouse?" - Chellybean

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:quote:Originally posted by Dm:
never thwacking themselves??? Now you're being silly - everyone messes up. But it's video so they edit out mistakes.Are you trying to tell me that Jez makes mistakes?

You'll be saying next that he's getting a bit tubby these days or that he's got this sort of "gay hand" thing when he spins staff....

Delete

Glåss
PLATINUM Member since Nov 2001

Glåss

The Ministry of Manipulation

Total posts: 2523
Posted:flid:
quote:there's nothing more fun than getting someone to introduce you to poi who thinks you've never seen them before. "ok, now i'm doing this 3 beat weave, if i wrap my arms like this is this 7 beats?" NOTHING? Have you tried masterbating?.
its pretty good you know.
and doesn't make you go blind.
Although I do have to wear glasses nowdays

anyway....

Delete

flid

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:yea it does. I'm trying to play down the fact that i'm meant to be wearing glasses these days, i've worn them out the house about 10 times in the last year

Delete

Cantus

Cantus

Tantamount to fatuity

Posted:But you've only been out of the house 11 times....

Delete

flid

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:

no, it's at least 12, i think. Although i really did go to very few lectures last term, so you may be right

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted: ROFL @ c@ntus

sometimes im dishartened, sometimes inspired, all down to personal energy on the day I think.

I heard you catnip, tho i didnt see you spin anything......

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

square

Posted:quote:Originally posted by firemonkeyboy:

I practised for a year and after watching me firespin one time my 14 year old nephew( who did not know what poi were until then) borrowed my zuni poi and after 5 MINUTES!!!!!! could do turns,the weave, butterfly corkscrew and windmill. ( he figured the windmill out all by himself, I can't do it.) After picking my jaw up from the ground I laughed and gifted him with the poi.
BAd monkey i gotta admit if that happened to me, i would get sooo jealous. ive recently realised ive got this ridiculously high competitive streak in me, its quite childish

you're a naughty potato!

Delete

MTM Monster

MTM Monster

Moat monster

Total posts: 208
Posted:That's cos you were too busy hanging out with Te Pooka Nix?.

And when there's extremely talented people like Mr Knoxious there all the dang time, some of us are too intimidated to spin anyhoo.

Did notice a couple of folks attempting my double staff butterfly seperations though (tehehe)

We know return you to your regular broadcasts....

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

Delete

MTM Monster

MTM Monster

Moat monster

Total posts: 208
Posted:By the way that kid with the firestaff (that was bigger than him) had only been spinning for about a week. That's kinda disheartening too methinks....

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

Delete

[Nx?]

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:

-><- Kallisti

Delete

Jez

addict

Total posts: 642
Posted:Oi you git, since when was I getting tubby!!

Although I will admit to the gay hand tendencies.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Delete

MEERCAT
BRONZE Member since May 2002

MEERCAT

A Meerkat that eats chicken

Total posts: 194
Posted:I have been spinning staff for 2 yrs and poi for 6 months, I have never been in any contact with fire spinners so i am compleatly self tought so when i got the dvd with sage performing you can imagen how chuffed i was there are moves on there i never thought i could do but after a little practice you start to pick them up,
they just seem to come to you one day and it just works.

Delete

[Nx?]

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:yo.

Look at this way, if someone else can do it, then its possible, no?

-><- Kallisti

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:quote:Originally posted by +):
Look at this way, if someone else can do it, then its possible, no?and you can't argue with that.

logic, innit.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

square

Posted:totally dude

also feeling less meep now as i am coming on in leaps and bounds and am starting to attempt behind back weave and nearly did one full rotation yay!

you're a naughty potato!

Delete

[Nx?]

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:good on yer!

I remeber the first time I got btb, was high for hours!

see, everything is possible, if you got the time and paitence, keep it up square, youll be teaching peaple before you know it.

T

-><- Kallisti

Delete

Page: 12