Page:
squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
just been watching some of the videos and now i feel all meep! please someone tell me these are just extra special clever ppl with lots of practice so it doesnt seem that i could never be that good ever! much scaryness!

you're a naughty potato!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
hehe, there are some impressive peps out there But worry not, as the weeks, months, and years pass you'll find yourself doing moves you never imagined you could

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning for a couple of years and there is always more to learn. Thankfully the art grows everyday and always stays fresh. But as mentioned before with some perseverance and a lot of practise you can learn an awful lot of moves and who know maybe in a few months you will be creating your own videos showing off the new things you have learnt and teaching us a thing or two.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
I know how you feel, they are like gods... never thwacking themselves etc...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
never thwacking themselves??? Now you're being silly - everyone messes up. But it's video so they edit out mistakes. Actually I think there's delibrately added mess ups in the occasional video.

There are a lot of mindblowing spinners out there, but don't put them on a pedestal, it's just practice, inspiration and creativty - which is open to everyone. And I've seen all the mind blowing spinners I know be complete muppets too

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
And I've seen all the mind blowing spinners I know be complete muppets too
yea. I saw glass drop a couple of the balls he was juggling with when doing 7 ball juggling on shroomz, i reckon he's a bit shit really

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Meep.... good word

yea flid thats true. Pk told me i was shit too
I can only juggle 5 which would explain why I dropped 2.

square, a lot of lovely people, and also a few pretty good spinners will be meeting up to spin in south glous in september. You might want to drop by for a day or 2... near alveston/olveston

Eeep

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
I know exactly how you feel; I feel the same sometimes when I go to a workshop/festival but it's all about choices:

Choose to be inspired not jealous

Choose to be happy that you have poi/staff/juggling gurus (not to worship or put on pedestals but people who make you want to pick up your toys and play)

Choose to play for fun and judge yourself by your own standards not other peoples

If we all did the same tricks...

BTW I don't know what videos you've been watching but some of these "extra special clever" people aren't real people, they are Genetically Engineered Oompa-Loompas beamed down to confuse or enlighten us - what you CHOOSE to do with them is up to you! (I might be making it up but you can choose not to believe me!)

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Me too, you see somone doing some mad move, spinning their poi in a perfect hexaon behind thier back with their eye's closed and think
"how the... what the... !!!"

But, seeing good spinning always makes me want to spin / wish I had my poi with me so I could spin

I've found that everyone is cool and most are willing to share if you sidle up and ask ...

"can you just?.. how do you?.. Ohh *THATS* how it's done!! Cheers m8!"

Then I run away and practice till my arms fall off...

No pain, no gain...
just not in the face...

PsyB.

squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:

square, a lot of lovely people, and also a few pretty good spinners will be meeting up to spin in south glous in september. You might want to drop by for a day or 2... near alveston/olveston
Eeep

i will consider, however unfortunately i need to become a wageslave soon, so i may not be able to. twould be much coolness tho!

you're a naughty potato!

squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
oh also, y'all made me a lot less scared, im sure i could get that good eventually, i didnt really think about it that way just concentrated no the , oh-god-i-can-barely-link-stuff-together-yet feeling i got hehe xx

you're a naughty potato!

Frazzlemember
105 posts

Posted:
Apologies for hijacking,but Square - I'm not too far from Gloucester so if you ever fancy meeting up for a spin PM me sometime. BTW, Meep is a word my dog uses when she needs to go out for a walk...

Happiness is a journey,not a destination

firemonkeyboymember
13 posts

Posted:
What Sunbeam said rocks, except about the oompa-Loompas. I think they might be verniscious kanits.

No matter how good you get or how bad you think you are, there will always be someone who does a move better and worse than you. I practised for a year and after watching me firespin one time my 14 year old nephew( who did not know what poi were until then) borrowed my zuni poi and after 5 MINUTES!!!!!! could do turns,the weave, butterfly corkscrew and windmill. ( he figured the windmill out all by himself, I can't do it.) After picking my jaw up from the ground I laughed and gifted him with the poi.

I spin for the joy it brings me and I love the artistry shown by people who are better than me. Knowing how difficult some of these moves are makes me appreciate them more.

Just don't stop. Serioiusly, never, learn to spin in your sleep, with one hand, while driving a car, while making love. If you stop something bad will happen, the voices in my head are never wrong.

BAd monkey

Death is only a change of address

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
borrowed my zuni poi and after 5 MINUTES!!!!!! could do turns,the weave, butterfly corkscrew and windmill.
there's nothing more fun than getting someone to introduce you to poi who thinks you've never seen them before. "ok, now i'm doing this 3 beat weave, if i wrap my arms like this is this 7 beats?"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by sunbeam:

Choose to be inspired not jealous

I take it you weren't around at Glasto to hear my "Bloody poi spinners.... comments.

Or the very specific:
"especially Australian ones."
aimed at no Knoxious in particular.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Dõm:
never thwacking themselves??? Now you're being silly - everyone messes up. But it's video so they edit out mistakes.
Are you trying to tell me that Jez makes mistakes?

You'll be saying next that he's getting a bit tubby these days or that he's got this sort of "gay hand" thing when he spins staff....

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
flid:
quote:
there's nothing more fun than getting someone to introduce you to poi who thinks you've never seen them before. "ok, now i'm doing this 3 beat weave, if i wrap my arms like this is this 7 beats?"
NOTHING? Have you tried masterbating?.
its pretty good you know.
and doesn't make you go blind.
Although I do have to wear glasses nowdays

anyway....

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yea it does. I'm trying to play down the fact that i'm meant to be wearing glasses these days, i've worn them out the house about 10 times in the last year

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
But you've only been out of the house 11 times....

Meh

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:

no, it's at least 12, i think. Although i really did go to very few lectures last term, so you may be right

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ROFL @ c@ntus

sometimes im dishartened, sometimes inspired, all down to personal energy on the day I think.

I heard you catnip, tho i didnt see you spin anything......

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by firemonkeyboy:

I practised for a year and after watching me firespin one time my 14 year old nephew( who did not know what poi were until then) borrowed my zuni poi and after 5 MINUTES!!!!!! could do turns,the weave, butterfly corkscrew and windmill. ( he figured the windmill out all by himself, I can't do it.) After picking my jaw up from the ground I laughed and gifted him with the poi.
BAd monkey

i gotta admit if that happened to me, i would get sooo jealous. ive recently realised ive got this ridiculously high competitive streak in me, its quite childish

you're a naughty potato!

MTM MonsterMoat monster
208 posts

Posted:
That's cos you were too busy hanging out with Te Pooka Nix?.

And when there's extremely talented people like Mr Knoxious there all the dang time, some of us are too intimidated to spin anyhoo.

Did notice a couple of folks attempting my double staff butterfly seperations though (tehehe)

We know return you to your regular broadcasts....

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

MTM MonsterMoat monster
208 posts

Posted:
By the way that kid with the firestaff (that was bigger than him) had only been spinning for about a week. That's kinda disheartening too methinks....

A good deal of growr, some grr and quite a bit of snarl, spit and some biting. just a regular day at the office.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

-><- Kallisti

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Oi you git, since when was I getting tubby!!

Although I will admit to the gay hand tendencies.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning staff for 2 yrs and poi for 6 months, I have never been in any contact with fire spinners so i am compleatly self tought so when i got the dvd with sage performing you can imagen how chuffed i was there are moves on there i never thought i could do but after a little practice you start to pick them up,
they just seem to come to you one day and it just works.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo.

Look at this way, if someone else can do it, then its possible, no?

-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by +):
Look at this way, if someone else can do it, then its possible, no?
and you can't argue with that.

logic, innit.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

squaremember
35 posts

Posted:
totally dude

also feeling less meep now as i am coming on in leaps and bounds and am starting to attempt behind back weave and nearly did one full rotation yay!

you're a naughty potato!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
good on yer!

I remeber the first time I got btb, was high for hours!

see, everything is possible, if you got the time and paitence, keep it up square, youll be teaching peaple before you know it.

T

-><- Kallisti

Page: