Forums > Help! > Chain cleaning, and excess of soot

Login/Join to Participate

Eternal_SILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hello smile

First post here, wasn't sure where to put it.. Meh, oh well smile

I've been practising quite a bit, and have used my Fire Poi about 15 times since I received them, and since the beginning, I've been noticing more and more a problem with soot.
At first the soot on the head looked normal to me, but now the whole chains are coverred in it, and I'm not exactly sure what to do.. Can I wash them with soap and water, or is that going to harm them? Is it normal so much soot is on the chains? Haven't actually found another case of this.. And Spiral Wraps are kind of getting messy..
Could be to do with the fuel, I use disaromatised Petrol, a friend of mine who has been spinning for two years told me to use that.

Thanks for any reply smile
Mark

JuggleSeanGOLD Member
Ooops
116 posts

Posted:
Hi Mark,

You can wash the chains in soapy water, that is what I do. If they are not stainless steel, be sure to dry well. Of course you wouldn't wash the fire heads. I cover my heads with socks/fabrics for practice. This way one can avoid the soot on body and clothing. I have no idea what disaromatised Petrol is, but I use K-1 Kerosene, and it leaves a lot of soot also. White gas (coleman fuel) burns much cleaner, but I don't use it as much (due to safety/cost issues).

Good luck,
Sean

Groovy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hi Mark,

while Coleman burns cleaner, the flames are not as 'attractive' to the eyes (not as much structure)... dirty chains is one thing that comes with fire spinning and you can cover the heads when practicing as Sean suggests.

Don't use any abrasive stuff on the chains - the problem might intensify and the soot will cling on even more. Especially if your chains are chromed...

Just wipe it off with a (not too) soft cloth or old towel and remember that your fire toys are hot - but not a hot rod... they are meant to look sort of dodgy wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Eternal_SILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Used a pair of old socks and soap, and they are now sparkling again! Thank you very much grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
You could do what I did with my old chains. Just take a paper towel and run it down the chain a few times until the soot stops coming off. then they look all nice again smile

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Eternal_SILVER Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Yeah, thats why I did with the socks, and a bit of soap, I then rinced them out, worked a charm smile

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I would love for my old pro series chain to be shiny instead of used-to-be-black-and-is-weird-not-shiny-or-black-color-now tongue2 I would love to have it in stainless steel for the pro series chain for this reason grin I have a different chain with 2mm stainless steel and the shininess just never leaves grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin