• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Windwatcher
stranger
Total posts: 2
Posted:So I've been spinning on and off for quite a few years now. Though the dreads in my neck (and my disability to tie them up) have prevented me from contact staff mostly.

But anyway, I got my first fire staff a few months ago and had my first burn around New Year.

Now I am confident enough in my skills and I'm sure to watch my spinning speed and which moves to do of course. (and trying to suppress my habit of sticking in extra beats on the last second :P)

But even though I'm confident, I'm just scared as hell that I might hit my dreads and burn them off. (so yea, chopping them off ain't an option ;))

Friend of mine just sticks his hear in a beanie, but that's not gonna work with my dreads.

So where do you leave your hair during a burn? Just make a ponytail and go for it? Force them in a hat? Wear a hoody over it?

--- Licking fire like it's ice cream ---

liquidtrance
liquidtrance

i dream in circles...
Total posts: 336
Posted:if it's too big for a beanie then soak your hair with water jus before you burn, tie a wet scarf(natural fibre-no synthetics) round it if you can and be carefull, then even if you mess up you should get off with it or if you're unlucky then you should only get minorly singed and not go up like the human torch you would be if it was dry, water is pretty damn good at absorbing heat smile
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1267553975)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Smurf24029
Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf
Total posts: 343
Posted:I have a ponytail but I also have straight hair. Its easy for me to wear a beanie but I also have a small hoody that I use the hood with.

I think the sound of wetting your hair and all that is a pretty good idea. Also if you have big dreads those things are solid, and especially if there wet, I don't think it will burst into flames.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Fire_Moose
Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded
Total posts: 3597
Posted:Originally Posted By: Windwatcherand trying to suppress my habit of sticking in extra beats on the last second :P)

OMG that, and grabbing at the staff to early (just let it go to yer freakin hand!!!) are the top 2 reasons people cant do stuff

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

liquidtrance
liquidtrance

i dream in circles...
Total posts: 336
Posted:the water thing really works well, I had kinda midlength hair last year and gave myself a crack to the head with a contact staff sporting massive wicks, thought I was gonna be bald but the water totally saved me, a few gray hairs- that was it smile

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

Windwatcher
stranger
Posted:@Liquidtrance, I like the idea of soaking it and tying a wet scarf around it. Just singeing it wouldn't mind that much, but it was indeed the human torch I was worrying about.

And they are indeed solid enough, so if they are wet enough it would be hard to light them even if I wanted to.

@Poje, so right haha.
And it's sort of alright while practicing but pretty much a no-go with fire.

Thanks aye ^^

EDITED_BY: Windwatcher (1267568807)

--- Licking fire like it's ice cream ---

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:the best method - apart from the mutilating hood - that worked for me was: washing hair - using conditioner - not rinsing the hairs = they stay damp but not wet.

good luck

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Felex
Felex

Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
Total posts: 268
Posted:
I have stupid length hair at the moment to give you a clue Im just under six foot tall and its well over half way down my back thick, and luxurious, but enough of the poplar advert for shampoo. Its always tied back and at least damp when spinning. Although I must admit its stopping me from doing a lot of contact staff movements. To be honest Im not worried. I do what in my disturbed mind I think looks good. Dont force your self to do anything you dont feel comfortable with, after all worse case scenario not only are you bold but your bodies shut down and youve died of shock as your heads been engulfed in flame.

Oh boy an I in a fluffy mood this morning. Sorry its true just not pleasant. Thats the chance anyone who plays this game takes.
So wet hair (NO PRODUCT TO HOLD IT PEOPLE) In theory the water evaporates taking the heat away preventing it from going up. Note I said in theory. But thats what I do and so far its worked.

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8735
Posted:CUT IT OFF laugh3

you'd be better using a wet product that's not flamable, it would be slightly greasy but wouldn't evaporate with heat, hair will still melt even when wet, a barrier gel would probably be safer. Conditioner is OK but not as good as a non-flamable gel coating. I cut mine off for this very reason and use non flammable fixing products to spike my hair, it hasn't caught fire so far with lots of contact and neck work.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Felex
Felex

Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
Total posts: 268
Posted:Oh I often use a bandana as well.
Never been shore about these non flammable things. Any good with long hair?
wonder

burningoftheclavey
burningoftheclavey

lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
Total posts: 926
Posted:There is definitely another thread about this.. but I used to use a hat, now I dont mind so much about my dreadies getting burned, but for contact I wrap my dreads round my head and then secure with a buff so there's not a big dreaded mass sticking out nd getting in the way of my stick..! (although, dread contact..could be interesting... laugh3 )

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Fire_Moose
Fire_Moose

Elusive and Bearded
Total posts: 3597
Posted:I think the overall solution to long hair is to cut it off.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

willworkforfoodjnr
willworkforfoodjnr

Hunting robot foxes
Total posts: 1046
Posted:Thats the way I went.

Although I'm growing it back now
Non-Https Image Link

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Flint_413
Flint_413

Fire Artist and Hooper
Total posts: 181
Posted:Not necessarily! My cousin linsey spins staff, double staff, poi, fans you name it she spins it with her hair down! She singes the edges of it every now and then but really she doesn't have a problem with it.

I like the idea of the wet scarf wrapping. I always put my hair back in a wet bandana myself. I've seen guys with dreads pile them into those big old hemp hats that look like bags. LIke.... here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9hwJL-vKEknZHwnBBP9xRQ

If you can't stand the heat, get out of my way.

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnr
Non-Https Image Link

This is awesome.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:
Non-Https Image Link
Why must such an epic smiley exist?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FireTom
Stargazer

Total posts: 6650
Posted:
Non-Https Image Link

more than that: why must it exist outside this board?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Noiseyflower
Noiseyflower

Yell and scream all you like
Total posts: 53
Posted:@liquid trance and anyone else who thinks wet clothing is a good idea... its not. wet anything and fire twirling is a bad idea. if something even close to the wet item in question you will get burned badly because wet things are harder to take off quicker and water heats very quickly so before you have a chance to get the scarf or what ever off the water will boil on your skin. This is a serious hazzard. dont do it. Try trying your hair in a pony tail and getting a non synthetic material (which wont melt) and wrapping it around very tightly around your head then down the pony tail. This way if you need to use your neck you can just get a saftey pin and pin the end of your pony tail to your head.

Smurf24029
Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf
Total posts: 343
Posted:Originally Posted By: Noiseyflower@liquid trance and anyone else who thinks wet clothing is a good idea... its not. wet anything and fire twirling is a bad idea. if something even close to the wet item in question you will get burned badly because wet things are harder to take off quicker and water heats very quickly so before you have a chance to get the scarf or what ever off the water will boil on your skin. This is a serious hazzard. dont do it.

I learned this the hard way when I was working in a kitchen. Used a dry cloth and a wet cloth to grab this really hot chicken out of the oven and burn the hell out of part of my right hand. happens fast to

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

entheogen
entheogen

Total posts: 173
Posted:I dont think they mean to hold the hot metal part of the fire equipment with the wettened article of clothing. Yes, getting cloth wet makes it conduct heat faster, but dampening costumes and hair will also prevent them from catching on fire. In each scenario you must look at what potential dangers are the most likely.

Picking up a hot fire bowl with a wet towel is a bad idea. Making any kind of hair covering or hat wet that isnt naturally extremely fire resistant is a really good idea. Its really hard to see if something is burning at the back of your head, and by the time you feel it from the heat its probably too late. Unless you do something really silly like trying to balance a burning fire poi on top of said wet head wrapping steam burns will never be an issue.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Total posts: 462
Posted:i know this isnt anything aboutstaff but fire hack is pretty crazy and you will lose hair at some point

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

thegramreaper
I just wanna play it right

Total posts: 22
Posted:I've been burning almost every night for the past two weeks now and I've got fairly long and incredibly curley/untameable hair, so far I've gotten lucky and with the few around the neck spins I've done while burning I haven't singed my hair at all. I'd say my advice from this is just practice the moves a lot unlit and hopefully once you attempt them burning you'll have the move down enough to where ya won't scorch yourself or your hair.

There's a time and place for everything, it's called "college."

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8735
Posted:I still say cut it off but I used to spin with a foot tall mohawk and IT never caught fire, or even singed

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Cyricx
Cyricx

Total posts: 28
Posted:I have a bandana that has a really long tail in the back. So when I pull my hair back in a pony tail, I take the tail of the bandana and wrap it around the pony tail and secure with a few more hair ties.

So it looks like I got a bandana pony tail heh.

Causes a little bump in the back of my neck, but pretty easy to adjust too and the fabric doesn't catch on the staff so no issues there either. smile

If I cut my hair I think my wife would kill me!

US Performer liability insurance run by performers. Why pay more then you have to?

WeAreSafe.org

MelissaVanborren
MelissaVanborren

stranger
Posted:i'm so scared to burn my hair smile I always wear a hat or a cap when i spin the fire, i burned a little bit of my hair last year but it was really lill so nobody noticed smile
The worst thing i did was hitting myself a blue eye with my pois, i had it for a week aaarrch wink