EddieGoJamBRONZE Member
A Dude
12 posts

Posted:
I purchased a staff many years ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed using it since I got it, but recently I've formed a deeper love for the art. Poi seems to come naturally to me, but contact staff isn't being as cooperative. Of all the staffs I've used, the one I own and practice with seems to be the lightest. In the long term would learning with a lighter staff be beneficial? It's heavy enough to do contact moves, but I feel like heavier staffs really stick to me. I'm debating on buying a heavier staff, but I would only want to do so if the staff I have is not suitable for more advanced contact moves.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
The more advanced stuff will be much easier with a heavier staff, as not only will it 'bounce' less, it will hold momentum much better.

That said its not essential, but highly recommended!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

EmmCeeeFFBRONZE Member
145 posts

Posted:
As everything else in this crazy world we find ourselves upon it all comes down to preference....

I have flicked to and from heavy and light staffs for various reason and now find myself practicing mainly with a very light staff and performing with an extremely heavy fibre3. Most moves are easier to perform with the fibre3 (as willworkforfoodjnr said) because the weight keeps the staff stuck to you and the momentum keeps it spinning.

In saying this, the sheer weight of this staff can be a little daunting at times...

I personally prefer practicing new moves with a lighter staff, the fact it is lighter forces you to do it right and not rely on the weight to keep it moving and stuck to you. If you get a move down using a spindly little staff, if you pick up a heavier one it will generally make it alot easier.

Hope my ramblings are useful smile Good luck with the contact

If i had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isnt. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldnt be. And what it wouldnt be, it would. You see?

EddieGoJamBRONZE Member
A Dude
12 posts

Posted:
Thank you both! I really appreciate the input. Also I will be ordering a heavier staff now : D Another question though is do you know of any instructional videos that are high recommended by serious contact staffers? I watch the moves from the free lessons section but I personally learn better with some verbal instruction and descriptions when I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
This is the definitive:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Staff-Manipulation-by-MCP-DVD

You won't regret it grin

EddieGoJamBRONZE Member
A Dude
12 posts

Posted:
Okay! Just a few more questions! I know it's all subjective, but for a beginning contact staffer (I know very few real contact moves. I mostly just spin regular staff) What is a good starting length? I like the look of a longer staff. I'm 5 feet and 10 inches tall. And has anyone used the HoP Pro Series staff? Since it comes with the DVD you mentioned I was wondering if you knew if it is the heavier weight that I'm looking for. Thanks for your responses guys. It's really helped!

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I've no idea about that staff, I make my own. I'm 6ft 3" and I use a 5ft staff for contact, and 4ft 3" for doubles contact smile

EddieGoJamBRONZE Member
A Dude
12 posts

Posted:
Sounds good. Thanks for the info!