FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Hillary ClintonThe pictures we see coming out of Pakistan are painful images of human suffering at its worst. In surveying the lives and landscape affected by this disaster, we see brothers and sisters; mothers and fathers; daughters and sons. We see 20 million members of the human family in desperate need of help. This is a defining moment – not only for Pakistan, but for all of us.

Will you donate?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
*churp churp churp*

They need a text to donate number. Even though massive amounts of my tax dollars were already committed and the Pakistan population wouldn't lift a finger to help if the situation was reversed. I'd throw some less impersonal money at the flood victims.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well, would it make you feel better if you knew that it might not be as much about what they would do in return but about what you feel about your self?

The US hasn't got the best of reputations in Pakistan to say the least, thus it would be understandable if they wouldn't help. Also they (generally) have far less material wealth to share... But that's mere speculation.

Fact is that Pakistani are suffering on a large scale, that they are certainly stunned to see US soldiers distributing aid and saving lives along with Pakistani army...

Fact is further that the Pakistani army is one of two nations providing the most UN peacekeeping forces on the planet.

I hope that this time the money doesn't got stuck in corruption like after the 2005 earthquake and that some of the Pakistani billionaires choose to chip in too.

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Like I said, they need a text to donate number.

Also, Pakistan's government and people don't have the best of reputations in the US. That and their material wealth is clearly besides the point.

Don't get me started on UN peacekeeping.

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
actually I've not been familiar with the "text to donate" concept and had to look it up (another 7g of CO² for a Moogle-search wink )

is this what you refer to?

It states:
• Text the keyword CAI to the short code 50555 to donate $10 to the Central Asia Institute, which focuses on education in Pakistan and Afghanistan • Text PAKISTAN to 50555 to donate $5 to CHF International, which provides shelter for those displaced by the floods and focuses on the rebuilding efforts • Text RELIEF to 27722 to donate $10 to the Islamic Society of North America, which focuses on the betterment of the Muslim community • Text SWAT to 50555 to give $10 to UNHCR, which sends emergency response teams to orchestrate relief efforts • Text AID to 27722 to give $10 the the World Food Programme USA, which transports food to flood victims in isolated communities • Text RESCUE to 50555 to give $10 to World Emergency Relief which responds to natural and man-made disasters worldwide • Text ZAKATUS to 50555 to donate $10 to the Zakat Foundation of America, which is providing food and clothing for flood survivors