Forums > Social Chat > Official Best Techno List

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
All you techno freaks, let's spread the love. I kno some of you have tracks that others of us have never heard before, but would love. So... Post your fav techno songs here, as many as you want. I kno that I'm running low on new techno, so fill me in peeps.

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: D3l1r1umOooh- Chrispy is good. The crystal method is good (they were awesome at bonnaroo this past year) and Juno reactor.

I dont like the Crystal Method that much. I saw them at Freaknight 12 and Moby was the best that night.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh how did I miss Chrispy. He's like the only Dubstep I like. That is, I like more than one or two of his songs.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Hehe SoD your the one who showed me Chrispy. I am acctually showing one of my friends him right now lol

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
I don't understand what this techno is!

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's that 8-bit stuff they used to put on Nintendo games, right?

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

D3l1r1umbefore delirium there was... delight
57 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenIt's that 8-bit stuff they used to put on Nintendo games, right? lmao

sometimes they use old Atari music bits in songs to make them even more awesome....

Infected mushroom does that
I guess the best way to describe techno is electronically derived music....

soooo many genres--
There is bound to be something in this "class" of music you will like. Its quite varied in sound...

A few more good bands- apex twin and boards of canada

And I really digg dubstep-- when you hear it live you can literally feel your ribcage quaking with impeccably intense vibrational sound <3
It is lovely- and filthy <3

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Crystal Castles uses Nintendo sounds. Also there is simply 8 bit techno.
As for Crystal Castles I absolutely love them. Not quite techno but more experimental electronica.

Also I have to say I absolutely love Aphex Twin. Also not a band just one guy.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
as far as I was aware Techno is a genre in dance music, dance music being electronically derived music.

I had techno described to me as using the kind of sounds you would hear in a factory you could imagine a machine working to the beat of it, whereas house music has much warmer sounds... trance has a specific sound as does electro and all those other genres.. it starts getting complicated when you start talking about tech trance and fidget house etc...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
@burningoftheclavey your definition of "techno" is more like Industrial. That is a dark electronic sound. As for just techno, it is a genre in itself just like electro or dubstep. I cant put it into that great of a description but its good. A.S.Y.S. would be considered just techno though. Oh and another thing about industrial. Ir tules, check out Combichrist, VNV Nation, and Funker Vogt

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
AFAIK - this is a national definition issue again.

In the UK the term 'Techno' is reserved for the music played by acts like Surgeon, Ritchie Hawtin, Dave Clarke, Technasia, Laurent Garnier, Jeff Mills and to a lesser degree the Chemical Brothers.

In mainland Europe the term Techno generally refers to any electronic music. People like Tiesto (Trance), Pendulum (Pop Drum & Bass) and even house DJ's are all classed as techno acts.

I'm pretty sure there is another completely different definition in the US (which would explain why Detroit Techno is not actually Techno by our definition).

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Back to the subject...

The best techno tune I've heard in ages is this:

FugeeBRONZE Member
Cooler than bubblegum!
2,501 posts

Posted:
Back off subject

Originally Posted By: SeyeAFAIK - this is a national definition issue again.

I am not sure I would make a 'national definition' distinction. I think it all blends together and most of the EDM subgenres are simply a blend of 2 or more other EDM subgenres.

I was being sarcastic with the question, BC I wouldn't ever associate all subgenres of EDM as "techno", since "techno" is a subgenre of EDM. Subgenres inside of subgenres. There are people in the US that refer to all EDM as Techno just as they do everywhere.

If I were making imperative daddy subgenres of EDM. I would go as far as to consider everything that Techno gave rise to, since it's conception in Detroit, as in the Techno subgenre. Eg. some Trance and some Breakbeat, I might even stick House in the Techno slot for being close enough.

Just as I would consider all of DnB's bastard love children in the same daddy subgenre. eg. Grime, Dubstep, ect.

I don't think of it as a science, I just dislike using Techno as a blanket term, even though I understand what was meant.

Just as one might not like calling all party goers Ravers. wink

The popcorn extends life... The popcorn expands consciousness...

D3l1r1umbefore delirium there was... delight
57 posts

Posted:
lmao "DnB's bastard love children" ^.^

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Lol
On a (slightly) related note...

[shameless plug]

We have EAT STATIC and OOOD playing at our night in Manchester in November. If you are in the UK it will be well worth a visit.
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131088886931054

[/shameless plug]

;-)

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
rubbish seye, will be out of the country.... not quite as cool but we have squire of gothos and turbofresh playing at our night in Edinburgh this friday smile

smurf, yeah I would describe industrial as more dark, but good ole regular techno just has factory sample noises ... smile not a huge fan of industrial, same as not a huge fan of house... but theres always some gems in every genre

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Page: