Page:
Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I was wondering whether being artistic is more likely to get you into spinning poi.

In my own experience I use to do a lot of singing, dancing and acting in my youth for shows around the UK. When I moved to London I lost all my links with the groups I used to be with so I decided to look for another hobby which would help me make friends and allow me to express myself artistically. For some random reason I ended up deciding that I would like to try and learn how to fire perform.

I know many people who spin poi that are fantastic artists or have been involved with performance in some description.

I would like to know if you guys have any other artistic hobbies and would also like to know what you think about the link between "The Arts" and "Poi"

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, well I'm studying architecture Which oddly I don't usually consider an "art", well at least I don't consider myself an artist. Architects are a tad different I think.

I think thats true though, alot of people who do poi are more the artsy free spirited think outside the box kind of people. At the same time I've encountered many hard core science/math people who enjoy poi and juggling. More so on the juggling side but still some poi people as well. I think it works both ways, you can look at poi from the art side or the physics side. It can be either abstract or technical, kind of cool

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I used to play the violin since I was in 3rd grade up until my senior year in high school. I rented my instrument from the school, so when I graduated I didn't have a violin anymore. I miss playing very much. I saw Wildfire Entertainment of Oklahoma perform at the AASA festival. I fell in love with poi right then. I love it so much also, but I still wish I could have a violin to play.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i have a set of crayons and a tub of playdoh in my drawer

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
err well I'm an Unemployed web designer / Database programmer / Network designer. One of those has to be an art.

Nah just kidding there all to anal to be an art.
I play the trumpet (even played in a millitary Class A band for a while) and I play the bag pipes. Into a little bit of DJing and production to. Make firestaffs I'd call that an art to. Make replica lightsabers. I like making stuff it's a good release from all that virtual, not real computer programming that f*cks with your head. SO I guess I'm a craftsman to....

[ 11. July 2003, 20:21: Message edited by: DJ Dimples [Frost] ]

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I watch the New Yankee Workshop, I even made a fansite a while ago Over 18s click here

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think it takes a bit of the free spirit normally associated with artists to spin. I think it takes a more outgoing and experimental outlook as well, and these also tend to be associated with art. So my answer would be yes, and those who feel they are not artistic but spin I bet do it because they want that get away feeling spinning can give you, which is why alot of artists create...so their inner artist is just pleading to get out and it manifests in poi.

Then again, I think *most* people are artists. I know so few people who are not creative at all, because even in technical fields there is an artistry to how things work and are put together, just not art in the conventional sense of the term. (Ever look at a motherboard? They are really lovely!)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
After thinking about it more. I think that everybody is artistic and creative in some way, perhaps that is what makes us different from other species.

However I also believe that if many people enjoy the traditional "arts" then they are more likely to be appreciative of the visual and dance aspect of poi.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
ARTIST - 1 One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.

2 A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.

3 One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.

4 One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist
I love number four! At the basic grass roots level, an artist is someone who creates. We would be hesitant not to call violinist an artist, even if they were simply rote learning what they have been taught.

In the same vein, is not a bird, copying the songs of it's fellows in the trees also an artist.

Is not the sun, wind and rain an artist of our world?

Is this just a bit too deep and off-topic for Charles?

The answer is yes, yes and yes, to all questions.

I see myself as a performance artist, who creates well-sculpted memories for my public...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

1,032 posts

Posted:
quote:
Is this just a bit too deep and off-topic for Charles?

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
It is interesting that you would associate a bird singing as artistic, I never really thought of it that way.

I also suppose that is why you often get paintings painted by animals i.e. paw prints on a page by dog stepping in paint. Although I have often been sceptical with calling these things art.

Which leads me to another question. For something to be artistic does it mean there has to be a requirement for intentional creation of such a piece? To conclude that there is a requirement for intent would disclude your example of a bird being an artist. However to conclude that there is no requirement for intent surely that would mean that everything we see, hear and sense is art. Which changes the meaning of art to mean it is everything.

Sorry just thinking aloud, I wonder what you guys think.

1,032 posts

Posted:
I have another one to add:

What about the different dances throughout the world or martial arts?

Some are very beautiful to watch and experience

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Martial "arts"

1,032 posts

Posted:
Ooops!

Well I more or less associated martial arts with fighting and self defense and never really paid that much attention to the beauty of it.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I tend to think of anything done with grace and style as an art. Math can be an art, or programming, or engineering. I think of finding legal arguments as an art, too.

But yes, I do other sorts of art. I've never done any performance art (no grace here...), but I've done calligraphy, sculpture of various sorts, made jewelry, chainmail, costumes, a celtic lap harp... I like to craft. Keeps me hands busy.

(Hm, I could make chainmail poi. But they'd be ultra-heavy, alas.)

E pluribus unum, baby.

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:
I think that being artistic definatly has alot 2 do with it,I have always painted, printed, drawen, and danced.
The people who study the creative arts when I have tought them spinning they seem 2 pick it up quicker than others and they look better in my opinion.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Jez...

quote:
paw prints on a page by dog stepping in paint. Although I have often been sceptical with calling these things art.

For this example, where the paw prints are more the result of the dog wanting to walk somewhere than of making pawprints, yes you are exactly right. The intent of the action was nothing t do with the resulting 'art'.

But, a bird's singing must be conscious on several levels, and all of their action while singing seem to be aimed at producing the song. Surely this means the bird is an artist?

Even if it's reasons for wanting to burst into song are instinctual, the actualisation of the song itself is from a need to sing, to create the sound it wants to create. Just because these sounds have other uses (breeding, territory defence etc) does not discount the process.

Otherwise a graphic designer, or myself, a circus arts performer would have their 'artist' label destroyed everytime we received our paycheck, as the goal of the art is suddenly rendered soley to survival?

As a side issue, I do consider coloured pawprints to be art, and the artist is the person who deliberately set up the paint and the animal/s to obtain a finished design!

Kindof like not calling an oil painting art because the brush used to create it isn't an artist...same reasoning, but at absolute extremes of the spectrum.

Does that make sense in that respect, Jez?

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
perhaps its just that people who are involved in various "arts" find twirling as another beautiful way to express themselves?

Currently on the right side up of the world.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
oops I forgot to mention con artist, trickster, one who plays with minds...... Ah the scams bring back such fond memories

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

mtx98tibmember
15 posts

Posted:
i do choir and drama at my high school and i am really into math and science stuff. i really like poi cause it lets me really let everything out and it is really rejuvenating. to me it is just another way of showing off my creative side to everyone. just my thought on the subject

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by flid:
i have a set of crayons and a tub of playdoh in my drawer
:rofl: flid mate you are my hero!!!
the playdoh brings back the fond memories ... and tastes.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

lasersurgeGOLD Member
100 posts

Posted:
I am an architure student and i consider myself an artist. But 'artist' seems a bit much like a title, or a job description, where as i just consider it to be my lifestyle. I love creating and observing all types of drawing, painting, design, music and performing arts, sculpture, modelling, animating, and whatever else. I see art, or the potential for art, beauty (not necessarily aesthetic beauty) and meaning in everything. Maybe my newfound facination and appreciation of firey spinny toys is an extention of my appreciation of stuff. I don't know.
Hmm, i think that may sound a bit wanky, but i think that's what i think. Or something

people are people

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
Charles...

I like your answer, I will have to think about it some more because I know there is a flaw somewhere but cannot put my finger on it at the moment.

I like it when people make me think.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
so, then, would you say my creation of that arguement was art as well, Jez?

It was made because of my love of discussions and use of the english language, as well as to try and enlighten others.

does this not make the very words I typed a small inconsequential work of art?

(hee hee hee, ain't i a stinker!)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:

Indeed your posts are always a work of art. They are like poetry on a grey canvas intended to inform and entertain at the same time.

So I should conclude that everyone who posts on HOP are artists and the only poi spinners who are not artists are the lurkers of HOP. Otherwise known as "art appreciators"

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
quote:
the playdoh brings back the fond memories ... and tastes
I won it in a raffle. I could have taken, and was meant to take, 4 cans of beer - the playdoh was meant to be the boobie prize. But i just wanted an excuse to own playdoh.

Tillers look at you really strangely when you are over 18 and buy toys. I got a well dirty look off a women when i bought a 15 inch vibrating light saber

greendaze18member
2 posts

Posted:
I think that art can be anything you want it to be as long as you can feel it inside you (call me a hippy) and there is a reason of some kind, or motivation towards doing it. So surely that makes poi an art form and everyone on hop an artist for feeling the need to express themselves?
Not sure if this makes sense but I'm a fine artist anyway and we're all crazy!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
greendaze, on behalf of the 'arbitrarily calling people hippies commitee', i accuse you of level 3 treehuggage arise, sir greendaze!

flid, something worries me about your lightsabers

Jez i have a giant smile now after having read that HoP posting is an art form. If post reading is an artform too, i suffer for art.

..to art!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
personally its the opposite way - the firearts has made me into a better dance/artist type...
im an engo/science student - stereotypically not known for our creativity (dont even start me on that one, ill rant for several pages)
but its the focus, effort, dedication, and ultimately satisfaction of learning and working a juggling/fire move that i love and got me hooked - kindof the same buzz i get from my course.

leading onto the dancing and artistic streak - the juggling/firetwirling prob got me more into the arts - both visual eg life drawing - and the expressing myself comfortablely in dance aspect as well. ive even taken up voice training/singing lessons.
although its a bit strange when you are dancing away and you suddenly realise you are doing poi moves sub-consciously!! in a way, i learnt how to express myself through poi, which led onto other things.
or maybe its just the few beers i had earlier this evening that make me feel very passionate about my hobbies..... i think ill go to bed.

cheers

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hah! I do that all the time!

I keep on spinningt his imaginary friggin' staff around whenever i'm dancing.

Does that mean i'm artistic or just crazy??

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Vancrowmember
17 posts

Posted:
Playing with the Poi is an Art, if you think would like it to that, which means, you are an artist type. For me it's a sport, but with a little spirituality, like some "martial art", 'couse i'm a sportsman type. I think it's a queston of orientation.

„Who lives by the sword, dies by it”

Page: