ScriptedFireBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I've recently gotten into spinning and, having noticed how therapeutic it seemed, did a little research. turns out that doctors have given the thumbs-up to poi for several kinds of therapy, including Occupational and for children with dyslexia, to name a few. (reference - https://www.ehow.com/way_5760148_poi-balls-therapy.html
)
I personally feel that poi is a great tool for expression, exercise, and enjoyment and is good for both your body and mind.
My problem is that I want to use poi to work with troubled kids and kids with learning problems, but I'd need more than just one or two references to convince the people in charge of said kids that this would be a good thing. Do any of you know of any instances in which poi has been used therapeutically with success, or know where I can find out more about this? My own internet search wasn't entirely fruitless, but there wasn't much there.
Feel free to also discuss how poi has helped you in some area - better hand-eye co-ordination, faster reflexes, better focus, good form of exercise, whatever.
Thanks.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
You want to speak to Nick Woolsey (Meenik on here).
His website is https://www.PlayPoi.com

He has collected quite a lot of information on this.

With that said, I bet there is no scientific data. It would be interesting to apporach a sports therapy department of a university to see if they'd be interested in doing some.

tanzende_federGOLD Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
I know that here in Germany there are a few people that use poi in either "Ergotherapie" (occupational therapy) or "Tanz- und Bewegungstherapie" (dancing and movement therapie) because it is a tool that helps children and young adults to get a better and healthier attitude towards their body and give them a possibility to express their feelings through movement. the references I found are all in german, so I don't know if they are of any help for you...let me know if you are interested in the links anyway.

I think there are some studies online that discuss the effect of juggling on your coordination and on training both of the cerebral hemispheres...I guess that accords with practicing with poi..

also I think that in a more advanced state, the experience of flow, like when you don't have to think about each single motion anymore and just become one with the movement and flow with the music helps to experience a positive attitude towards yourself and life...which might only last for a few seconds but I can image that especially with troubled children / adults that experience itself can be very valuable.

Psykosisnewbie
31 posts

Posted:
Hello ScriptedFire, i'm currently in rehab for cocaine addiction. Ive also had a heroine and crack addition, i havnt spun since my last relapse but have b4 felt the theraputic effects of spinning fire. Im currently waiting 4 my new poi 2 arrive and hope getting in2 the sport more profoundly can help me abbstaine from hard drugs. If you want 2 make a list of questions i would be happy 2 answer them, just pm me ; )

MelesSILVER Member
Sanity is merely a mental condition, Thankfully I've been cured.
39 posts

Posted:
A good friend of mine used to be a "problem child" with a violent streak a mile wide so i've been told.
He was sent away to some form of brats camp, where they introduced them to various circus skills including poi.
He apparently picked them up and didnt put them down the whole time he was there.
Now, he is one of the nicest guys i know, still has a few problems but nowhere near the level that i have been told about.

anyway, my point is, talking to him about it he says that it was the poi that helped him focus his energy and get out of the rut he had got himself into.

Poi definetly has some amazingly powerful theraputic uses for any number of things, I use it to chill out after a hard day, I have a friend who uses poi to get over her depression and paranoia and one more who uses poi as a means to get passed cravings after a lot of drugs abuse.

I've heard too many people talking of the theraputic uses of poi to not believe there is something in it.
anyway, i'm pretty sure i've waffeled enough.

...Let Freedom ring with a Shotgun Blast...

LaasyaBRONZE Member
Wind Dancer
126 posts

Posted:
I second Seye. Nick's plan is to make everyone happy, through poi and other such skill toys. He's done a lot of research to that effect and will definitely love to answer your questions and help you kick off therapeutic poi training for kids. Nick also goes by meenik on youtube if you want to know more. Good luck and keep us updated! I would love to hear more about this.

Impermanent are all created things;
Strive on with awareness.
- Buddha

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I can say firsthand that I'm dyslexic/praxic and poi would have been excellent to have as a child in addition to extra tutoring/learning centers just to ease the stress of how things were worked through back in the 80s. I'm also ADHD and have made the choice to live Ritalin free a few years back, poi is very helpful to ease the restlessness I get from just being indoors and having tons of extra energy and difficulty focusing. I knew some kids when I was in high school who were also ADHD and we all gravitated towards skateboarding and some would do devil sticks and juggle while we were out skating. Poi would probably be a great asset there as well and maybe prevent a lot of the negativity that just dealing with no outlet causes. I had dance, but many of my friends dealing with ADD/ADHD especially were boys so physical noncompetitive activities are greatly reduced for them or what a parent would sign them up for at a young age.

Poi helps ease the itch of ADHD and how I can even do it in my small apartment when there is inclement weather really helps a ton! I don't advocate going off doctors orders without talking to your doctor and having a plan, but poi helps with me coping and strategizing on how to deal without stimulants to soothe me.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
Since poi is a kind of dance, you can go to Google Books and look up under dance therapy. It's not exactly poi but it can still help.
Google Books... If you have a topic of interest you can put in key words and find books accordingly. Some books you can read in full, often just some of the pages, sometimes it just gives a short description. Anyway, if you're thinking about buying a book on the subject- it's a great tool to help you choose which one would suit your needs best.

As far as my experience with poi (and dance in general) goes, it really helps a lot. No matter how bad my day gets, spinning always makes me feel better. I use to feel down all the time before I discovered dancing. And poi just added more positive energy to it. Maybe it's all about the feeling of self-accomplishment.

OH!!! This looks cute!!!
https://books.google.com/books?id=Rt4ioIl...p;q&f=false
(hope it works)

I'm so smart I'm practically retarded.

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: LaLaLand
OH!!! This looks cute!!!
https://books.google.com/books?id=Rt4ioIl...p;q&f=false
(hope it works)

Just wanted to let you know this book is about poi the Hawaiian food...

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Also Klaus Scheuermann has experience in the field of therapeutic usage of Poi with children.

Maybe worth dropping him a line or two, asking for his experiences. He's German but I'm sure he'll be happy to be of help if your interest is genuine.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LaLaLandGOLD Member
33 posts

Posted:
@EpitomeOfNovice I saw it's not about The poi, but I still think it's cute.

I'm so smart I'm practically retarded.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I also have ADHD. And I started living Ritalin free during 2nd grade. The smallest doses at the time were enough to put me asleep. And for those who may not know, that tiny dose would be like a non-ADD/ADHD person chugging a pot of coffee. I had lots of help at that young age to straighten out the ADD part of it, and it helped wonders. It is mainly discipline to get your brain to work in that order. But the hyperactivity part has always, still is, and most likely will stay there for long years to come. It's a terrible feeling compulsion that is in a way excruciatingly painful. Not painful as in it physically hurts, but the feeling that if you don't do it, you will slam your head against the nearest hard surface and scream bloody murder. And poi very much settles that urge. That urge is probably why I've learned so fast, because I have to keep myself moving and when I'm at home or where ever, poi is generally my best option.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

787 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitNot painful as in it physically hurts, but the feeling that if you don't do it, you will slam your head against the nearest hard surface and scream bloody murder. And poi very much settles that urge.

Yep, that be the "itch" I refer to!!! yes

I'm still fairly new to life without Ritalin and was on rather high doses from 1994-2007 when I weaned off of it. The focus is something that I have not found a way to fully work my way around and regain, but poi assisting with that restlessness and stirring I have totally been grateful for as well.

~Rock on!~

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I can't say poi has helped my ADD. I stopped my medication during my rehab when I was 17. I came to a realization of myself that I am in control of my body and how I control situations is up to me not something doctors say is wrong with me. I do know I have ADD still and it affects me put I persevere through it. I do however self medicate a bit with the use of marijuana, which I believe helps me.

As for poi and a therapeutic for me, it relieves stress and calms me down. Kind of like a form of meditation, in that I don't focus on anything else and I just let myself flow. In an example, I was in an argument with my gf at one point in time, so I left and went to go spin. I came back calm and ready to talk not argue.

I believe the effects of what poi can do for a person varies upon the person and how they live there life.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
I would have to say the attention deficit is still a part of me. It still takes effect on bad days, every once it a while I can't even function for a day. But I know I am in control for the most part, it's just really hard. Really really hard at times. At times I also have the memory of a goldfish. That does not help me at work because I've had a few days where I'll be told to do something and I'll leave to do it and I'll forget it completely withing a few steps. And I'll do it throughout the entire day >.> That's happened to me at work twice I believe. I'm not sure if that's the ADHD at work, or if that's just me.

787 posts

Posted:
I should probably add that poi and dyspraxia for me personally bring up a ton of frustration because of the coping mechanisms I have developed to avoid potential run ins with the learning disability. I can see it being helpful as a child is developing, but once you have fully developed and have relied on avoidance and "tricks" to get past the problem at a certain stage in poi my past horrors in learning have reared their ugly head.

I only think this happens though for a dyspraxic when poi involves a strong adherence to the order or operations, interpreting visual instruction, fine motor skills, spacial gauging, and getting lost when carrying out a long list of procedures in the correct order. I don't see this as a bad thing, but I do get pretty angry with myself and getting "stumped" where my coping mechanisms do not work or just "freezing up". It's not the only situation I'm forced to face short comings (completing any task new that requires following a specific order of events, written communication, reading aloud, memorizing any table, etc.), but it does bring up more "on the spot" anxiety than other tasks that I can grit my teeth, take my time, and dredge my way through. It does not work well with swinging objects to apply my usual methodology.

Luckily I take it all in stride and consider it as something needing to be reconciled, but it would have been massively easier to have had poi incorporated as I grew instead of trying to override everything I have been learning since preschool to ease the discomfort and insecurity compared to others doing the exact same task. Initiating balance and structured reasoning keep the stress at a minimum, but the stage of poi I'm at now require extra vigilance to ensure I know my limits and not give up too easy as well.

~Rock on!~

ScriptedFireBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Thank you all so much for your comments and the links - they're all greatly appreciated and I'm sure now that I can find what I need smile
For those of you who offered to answer additional questions, an extra thanks. I'll get together what I need to know, then see if I need further help.
I'd love to hear more about all your poi-therapy experiences, and I'll let you know what happens with this project of mine - hopefully, the people at this Juvenile Rehab Center will recognize poi as a valuable tool and skill for their young residents and admit a poi-therapy program... fingers crossed!

EDITED_BY: ScriptedFire (1282363728)

2,280 posts

Posted:
You could mention that not just poi works like this, but any other skill toy as well. I actually did a research paper on the physical and mental health benefits of skill toys, most of the info I could find was poi. If you would like to access that I would be happy to give that to you.